Evolution a Fact - Agreed but So What?

by LAWHFol 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Reality does not require our approval or consent.

If facts contradict our beliefs it is time to adjust our beliefs.

I would be interested in having a conversation with a christian believer who accepts evolution about the theological implications.

• cofty
    cofty
    Evolution is a fact? No more so than creation. No one knows and its up to each individual to weigh the seen and unseen and make their personal decision - Makeme

It is only possible to say something like this by carefully avoiding all exposure to the evidence.

There is no opinion or "personal decision" involved. We are not debating whether vanilla ice cream is better than chocolate flavour. The only thing that matters is evidence and 100% of that is on the side of evolution.

Creationism is a superstitious delusion.

• David_Jay
    David_Jay

"Creationism" is only accepted by a minority of theists, mostly Fundamental Christians to be exact.

Creationism is not taught as doctrine by Catholics and Orthodox and non-Fundamentalist churches. Conservative and Reform Jews do not accept Creationism either. It is a mistake of JWs and a few others to perpetuate the misunderstanding that Genesis chapter 1 is accepted as literal by all Judeo-Christians, when this has never been the case.

The fact that the Church of England has Darwin entombed in a decorated and honored spot in Westminster Abbey is demonstrative that evidence is not the same as conclusion. These particular Christians accept evolution as true but do not come to the conclusion that it disproves their doctrine.

Again the model doesn't exclude either conclusion as possible, that there is an intelligent creator or that deities do not and cannot possibly exist. Evolution is the diagram of the path that life took, but it does not say that this path was set by a Creator or without one. While an established model for evolution exists in science, there is no such validated theory on the existence or lack of existence of deities, the possibility or impossibility of their being, nor is such inferred by the evolutionary model.

• cofty
    cofty
    Evolution is the diagram of the path that life took

It is far more. It describes how every living thing evolved from a common ancestor without the need to resort to a supernatural tinkerer. There is not a single step from LUCA to now that requires the intervention of a designer. There is not one example of complexity that needs a mind.

Methodological Naturalism is the bedrock of all science including evolutionary biology. Theistic evolution must respect this or be dismissed as a superstitious delusion.

"Creationism" is only accepted by a minority of theists, mostly Fundamental Christians to be exact

According to Gallup in 2014, "More than four in 10 Americans continue to believe that God created humans in their present form 10,000 years ago, a view that has changed little over the past three decades..."

• David_Jay
    David_Jay

While I could be wrong, I do recall in forensic biology that the model was absent of any ideas for or against a creator.

However I accept the theory of evolution and have no argument with anyone who chooses it to champion their stands for or against their personal convictions regarding the existence or lack thereof for deities.

• cofty
    cofty
    the model was absent of any ideas for or against a creator

It is. I didn't say otherwise.

• Island Man
    Island Man

the model was absent of any ideas for or against a creator

Probably because it is inappropriate and unprofessional - not to mention controversial - to bring up religion in a science class. It speaks more to the culture of tolerance and political correctness than the scientific academia giving equal credence to a creator and evolution.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit