Montana jury awards two women $35M in sex abuse lawsuit against Jehovah's Witnesses

by AndersonsInfo 92 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• AbusedandPissed
    AbusedandPissed

You do know that this is unique because of how Montana Law is written.

Of all the US jurisdictions, states and territories there are only 6 US jurisdictions, Colorado, Iowa, Michigan, Montana, New York, Rhode Island, that have similar language. The language prescribes that if a mandatory reporter fails to report, then they can be held civilly liable for proximate damage by not reporting the matter. In all other states the only penalty that is prescribed is criminal. Either prison time or a fine. In those states, state courts have ruled that if the state legislature only prescribes a criminal liability for the violation of a law, then a person doesn't have the right to bring a private cause of action against the person. In other words, in the other jurisdictions, because the law doesn't say you can sue the mandatory reporter, you cannot sue them.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I had a JW tell me in confidence that they believe there are "serious problems" at WT HQ and this is no different than Jehover using Nebuchadnezzar and Babylon to discipline the Nation of Israel in 607BC.

If he's right, maybe WTS had better get used to SEVENTY YEARS of this kind of "persecution"!

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

The Watchtower corporation's reputation is heavily sullied by the shear amount of sex scandals world wide that are being brought to court against them it is no wonder that the pay outs are so big this is going to be the demise of this corporation.

Their very bad reputation as a Cruel mind control cult is giving them fits in the legal system making it impossible to defend their case.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

1.6 billion with donations and estate sales coming in could pay for a lot of 35m settlements.

The demise is adherents realizing that they are donating to protect pedophiles and not a “world wide preaching(print publishing and real estate flipping) work” and checking out.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

I believe the property sale revenue is somewere save on a bank account. They are so clever.

The 34 milion will be payed with donation money.

In a recent watchtowet they warn witnesses not to listen to story's in the media. Only jw.org section 'news' can be trusts.

G.

• flipper
    flipper

It's good that WT Society's policies on child abuse are being exposed and that they are being hurt financially by these child abuse lawsuits. Will WT leaders ever learn ? Probably not. They'll stay stubborn until the government has to force them to close up shop. WT Society leaders are not good at admitting fault. Invariably they almost never admit fault or responsibility for how their congregations are run. WT leaders try to separate themselves from what happens inside congregations. I hope more of these child abuse lawsuits come out exposing the WT Society as the criminal organization that they are. It's what WT leaders deserve for being stubborn and unwilling to yield to the laws of the land. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• lastmanstanding
    lastmanstanding

Watchtower is conducting an all out propaganda war against its own constituency.

No organization which has gone down this dark road has survived long.

Hiding it’s own history, telling its own members bigger and bigger lies everyday, hiding its true nature through constant propaganda and fear mongering, threatening and conducting witch hunts within... Watchtower’s days are numbers.

Keep your socks on....

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    $35 million a pop is just unsustainable in the long term. I’m guessing like the Conti case is will be reduced to a substantially lower figure on appeal. If they do end up throwing those elders under the bus that’s going to cause them some massive long term issues.I think their damage to reputation is going to be far worse than any financial lose. I’ve sent a link to the few JWs that I keep in touch with, (who don’t know how I feel about wt) just simply asking what’s going on. So far no reply although I’m sure they are thinking about it.
  • JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad
    lastmanstanding: Keep your socks on....

Yes...the best is yet to come!

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Thank you Barbara & Joe...we know we can depend on you when there is: "BREAKING NEWS!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit