Montana jury awards two women $35M in sex abuse lawsuit against Jehovah's Witnesses

by AndersonsInfo 92 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• dontfitin
    dontfitin

From Fox News, did anyone catch this? Are they saying they aren't responsible for the failure to report? This sounds totally like they are throwing the elders under the bus, when the elders only follow their directions.

Is there a way to get actual court records from this???

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/27/jury-jehovahs-witnesses-must-pay-34m-to-abuse-survivor.html

The church also contended that the national organization isn't liable for the actions by Thompson Falls elders, and that too much time has passed for the women to sue.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

I think we can safely sat the Watchtower corporation will be making some serious change with all these massive initial settlement in lawsuits to avoid more massive one in the future but I'm afraid they may be just a dollar short and a day late in making the changes.

This is an astounding amount$$$$$! Yippeeee!

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

I can see every congregation becoming a unique legal entity very soon. Who would want to be an elder when you would loose your house over something like this?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS. says the organization as a whole is not libel, yet the top leaders of JWS have for decades been using a policy of non disclosure in situations of peddeofllia and that policy has been upheld down to the local elders.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Wow. If the org dose throw these elders under the bus. This will speed up their demise even quicker.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

That seems an incredible sum of money.

I can’t fathom how compensating this much $ for the conutless abuse victims of the WT is going to be sustainable. Excellent.

• cobweb
    cobweb

Apparently the net worth of the org was revealed at the court session. Jason Wynne who has been tweeting about the details of the case over the last few days just said this:

Watchtower Bible & Tract Society of New York has a net worth of $1.6 billion. The Christian Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses has a net worth of $50 million #MontanaCSA

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

If the others are anything to go by, WT will appeal to get the amount reduced and will pay up subject to a gagging order.

Can’t the authorities see the irony that the whole thing is to do with failure to report and then when a judgement is made, the court allows WT to hide behind reporting restrictions!!!

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Looks like it will become a Candace Conti re-run.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Now we know why all the money grab is taking place.

If this will continue, they will be short of money.

G.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit