Mystical Medicine - Breaking Their Own Rules

by worldlygirl 10 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• worldlygirl
    worldlygirl

My JW husband's JW parents in Florida (the ones who shunned him for years when he was disfellowshipped) were recently raving about their new Ceragem massage bed. The actually purchased one for their home for around $2,000. They say MANY members of their congregation use these beds at a Ceragem location there in Ft. Lauderdale. The funny thing is, now on the Watchtower website they are taking a strong stand against Yoga because it is based on Eastern Medicine, mystical powers, etc. BUT, check out this Ceragem website:

http://www.ceragem.com/cgm_submenu4.htm

How can statements like "With the push of a single button,the CGM-3500 employs state-of-the-art technology directed in strict accordance with the holistic principles of traditional Eastern Medicine to deliver the most healthful and refreshing relaxation imaginable for the body, mind and spirit." be unlike the principles of Yoga?

Sooo... I need someone's help. What is the best way to make a big deal out of this? If I send the info to my in-laws, they won't read it because they are very suspicious of my worldly ways and efforts to "stumble" their son. These idiots really think the bed does all sorts of things like lower blood pressure and cholesterol, improve bowel function (although that was more information than I wanted), help with weight loss, etc. I'd like for the Society to find out about all the Brothers and Sisters using it - many even purchasing their own. (And the not-so-nice side of me wants to see the inlaws lose the two grand they paid )

Any suggestions out there?

Worldlygirl

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

send in a Question From Readers detailing all of it, send a copy to the Circuit and District Overseers for their area.

Ravyn

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Ravyn's comment while logical, will get no results. Holistic medicine is a very real subcurrent in JW circles. I have been in congregations in 3 countries and in each I found a thriving naivety about things medical and scientific. Miracle herbs, aura reading,eye peering,enemas,enemas,enemas..... While the population in general is given to this bunk, Witnesses seem especially vulnerable to snake oil alternative therapists. Their lack of skeptical analysis may be partly due to their years of unquestioning mental compliance required to be JW. Some GB themselves use herbs and chiropractors(they had one at Patterson for this exclusive purpose) to deal with medical issues better handled with proven medical practice. It seems to me the best you can hope for in your story is they begrudgingly sell the bed. What will this accomplish other than further alienating them from you?

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

JWs have been susceptible to snake oil and pyramid schemes since Charles Taze Russell(LOL I just realized the pyramid pun...)

But some alternative methods do actually have some merit. Anything that helps you to relax can be healing to many modern complaints. I think the crime will be when the elders do get wind of it and have to force the people to STOP using it!

but, yes, I did know of alot of JWs involved in some pretty extreme alternative medicines. I think it has to do with the guilt of being so sinful--especially the enemas and colonics bit. and the idea that a paradise can bring freedom from sickness and eternal life....the river and trees that cure the nations in Revelation and all. I also do not discount that the very existence of JWs is due to the birth of the New Age movement in the mid nineteenth century. It is not all wrong---I think Russell had some very interesting ideas, but Rutherford screwed them up for power(similar to Joseph Smith and Brigham Young).

Ravyn

• Gordy
    Gordy

It probably goes back to the view they had that doctors were agents of the devil.

I have recently been in contact with an a JW he and his wife left the WT recentlt, over the UN and chnages in teaching. He had been a JW for nearly 50 years. The last 12 years as an elder.

But he an his wife are both Complimentary Medicine Practioners. They do acupuncture, aromatherapy, homeopathy, herbalists. They have been doing so for the past 20 years. They both have B.Sc degrees in the subject also. Many JW's used to go to them for treatment. No JW has ever said it was wrong. They even checked with Brooklyn before embarking on learning to become practioners.

They say it is not wrong for a JW or Christian to use such medical treatments. Yet they speak about how the forces of the Universe work within each person. That a persons "Chi" can be unbalanced and needs to be corrected by acupuncture etc. Yet they are adamant there is no mystical connections, just that we are all from the earth so that treatments from the earth herbs, homeopathy etc can cure us.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    The Ceragem Master incorporates into the high-tech CGM-M3500 such traditional principles of Eastern Medicine as moxibustion and acupressure to massage and soothe the body's "distress signals," like pain and stress discomfort. While acupressure kneads and relaxes, moxibustion directs heat to every part of the body, supporting circulation and relieving muscle tension

The above quote from the linked website seems to only refer to the principles of Eastern Medicine , rather than overtly Spiritual practices. I do not think that the "Warnings" they have published can really be applied to this thing. More like a danger to your wallett !

It is true that a great many dubs have a lot of faith in alternative treatments . I know some very well known practioners who have them travelling the length of the country for treatment . One of them , a certain Nigel Vukovitch told me he had a regular "Clinic" in the London Bethel . NB that was some years ago. I think it stems from an institutional distrust of the world ,therefore mainstream medicine is also suspect. Perhaps the "Truth" appeals to people of that mentality.

Some years ago I knew a "Sister" who was a practioner of Kinesiology (Spelling?). The magazines published an article warning of the danger of that particular treatment, - shades of spiritism? and decimated her business overnight . I think she still carries on though.

• Swan
    Swan
    moxibustion

This almost sounds obscene. No wonder the JWs are doing it!

Tammy

• Francois
    Francois

Well, it may not be directly a "spiritual" phenomena, but it's "eastern" and that makes it guilty by association. It wouldn't be the only thing thus made guilty.

And remember this. The GB claim to be spirit-directed. However, they have never described the exact mechanism whereby God gives this spirit direction to them. By any measure, the definition of the direct apprehension of the will of God is mysticism, and we all know that the GB characterizes mysticism as originating with the devil (as it does with everything else it doesn't understand). So I can't imagine it will be very energetic in persuing anything that might tend to point any fingers at itself. On the other hand, they don't mind at all doing other things that are utterly hypocritical, so you never know do you?

I agree with another writer in this thread who points out that even if you are successful, the unavoidable main outcome is that you will come out of the experience as the "bad" person in the entire transaction. If you can think up a way to make an issue out of this bed and its claims anonymously, I feel that would be your best option.

francois

• Francois
    Francois

After doing just a minute or two of research, it becomes immediately apparent that there is a scam being worked here that is more subtle than the obvious overall scam contained in the idea of a bed, a mattress that makes all those kinda claims and costs all that kinda money.

For instance, "moxibustion" properly used, is a word of Japanese derivation that means to burn a stick of a specific, and particular plant called moxa and apply the heat from this combustion to affected parts of the body.

I submit that there is no combustion of any moxa going on in this mattress. Yet the advertising on the link provided implies that something vaguely like that is going on somewhere in there: "The Ceragem Master incorporates into the high-tech CGM-M3500 such traditional principles of Eastern Medicine as moxibustion..." Right. Sure it does. I can just smell the moxa burning now.

You'd think that the GB wouldn't want any other organized group to realize how gullible JWs can be for fear that some other organized group would try to horn in on the fleecing of the flock. We know how the GB likes to share the filthy lucre.

francois

• worldlygirl
    worldlygirl

It all seems hokey to me. Like I said, these people are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. What about the jade stones in the bed? Wouldn't they be like crystals, etc? I know I should just let this go, but the double standards they practice never fail to piss me off.

Anyway, thanks for all your input.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit