Insight into Death ?

by Brummie 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• Brummie
    Brummie

This is not intended to be a morbid post but because of the nature of the topic I guess it is anyway!

Have you ever heard of a long time terminally ill person who could live a few years more yet seem to know that they were going to die in the next couple of days?

My grandfather called my cousin into his room a few years ago and told her that his funeral was happening before his eyes, he could see it, he died that night.

Anyway, back to the original ?, have you heard of similar things? Do you think terminally ill people get an insight into their death just before it happens?

Brummie

• Brummie
    Brummie

Here is whats got me onto this topic

Last night my terminally ill father shouted my sister (who wasnt at his house) and asked her to confirm whether he was dead! He did this twice, he is 62 yrs old. . My mother phoned to let me know he is mithered (dont know how to spell that) and this is what he did, but he is also on various tablets as well as having 24 hr oxygen so I dont know whether to put it down to the medication. He suffers greatly due to chronic emphasemia and spends many hours daily fighting for his life, then he picks up and appears as normal as possible, over the last few weeks he has struggled without let up due to an infection on his diseased lungs. He had this same thing a couple of months ago and survived it, because of last nights shouting out I'm not sure what to expect over the next few days.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I don't know if they get insight, but sometimes I do think someone who is near death does sense it.

I should probably let Nina tell this story since it is about her grandmother, but I'll just charge ahead. Her grandmother had cancer and one day stood up and said to the family, "Children, I am going to die now." And she went into her room and went to bed. Two (3?) days later she died in her bed.

I don't think there is anything mystical about it, just a sense that the inevitable is near. Perhaps it is that those who have "made their peace" with death are the ones that sense it.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Brummie, I just saw your second post. I am so sorry to hear this. How are you holding up right now? Are you okay?

If you need anything, please let me know.

Chris

• kls
    kls

my grandmother kept having small strokes, so the dr. told her to go in for testing,an Angiogram, were they insert a wire in a major vein and inject dye to find the blockage.My mother who was with her said ,,my grandmother started to pray and just kept stareing at the ceiling .Half hour later she died.This was not a long drawn out illness but she knew she was dieing , according to my mother.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Brummie, I have heard of this many times.

My grandfather (paternal grandfather) knew he was going to die, but he wanted to die in privacy.

He did just that.

Sometimes medication obscures their senses, but I think that sense of impending demise, is very strong.

• Brummie
    Brummie

Thanks BT, your a good guy. I'm fine, anxious but fine. We spent last week with him and he had a tough time, However he picked up a little before we left and seemed comfortable, however it seems he's having a tough time again today. I have the abilty to dissasociate from the urgency of it all, I can only accept death as and when it happens, other than that I cant comprehend it so can deal with it being on the horizen. Not sure how I will feel when it happens.

His shouting out last night just reminded me of my mothers father and how he shouted out something similar. I think its probably like you say, nothing mystical but a deep awareness of the inevitable. Thats a good enough answer for me. I have heard some "mystical" stories though.

brummie

• Brummie
    Brummie

Thanks kls & Razor, I have heard of similar stories, I guess they are interesting me now a lot more than before.

Brummie

• dyan4help
    dyan4help

My mother called me on the phone at work and asked me to take her to the hospital. She said she knew she was going to die that day but did not expect it to hurt. I took her to the emergency room and they did all they could do to keep her heart going but she died. They did make her comfortable so she had no pain.

In 1999 my husband died of cancer. He died at home and was on morphine so he slept most of the time. I was sitting in the room with him when he woke up and kept staring at me. I held him in my arms and we said our good byes and he died.

My father-in-law called me on the phone from the hospital.. He was in for tests...nothing serious...and asked me to forgive him for any wrong he may have done me. He said he was going to die in the hospital. That afternoon as he laid on a gurney waiting for his turn for x-rays he had a heart attack and died.

Yea.....they know

Dyan

• rocketman
    rocketman

Wow, Dyan and Brummie.....sad stories. MY dad died a few months ago, just progressively got weaker until his heart gave out. I'm not sure if he "knew" per se, but he seemed to have given up on living.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit