Why Catholics?

by playdrums 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• playdrums
    playdrums

Just a question about the vitriol aimed at the Catholic Church from the WTBS-

I understand (but disagree) with the "doctrinal" aspect of the attacks leveled at the Catholic Church by the WTBS - it's the great harlot, etc. I'm more interested in getting to the bottom of the real reason they target Catholics so strongly. There's got to be an underlying strategy - a benefit of harvesting Catholics to get them into the organization. There's got to be a tactical reason. Once you're a JW you'll find that your new faith is constantly being compared to your old one. There's obviously a purpose for this in the mind control.

What do you think is the reason that Catholics are targeted to carry on the lies? What benefits do they bring? Is there a weakness to be exploited? Or is the anti-Catholic sentiment relayed in the pubs no more than a trait passed down from the beginnings of the organization?

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

One simple reason -- Why fish in a trickling spring of water when you can fish in the Atlantic Ocean?

That's the reason most fundy up-spring religions and "evangelists" target the Catholics.

I always ask the question, "Why use the Catholic's bible? Why not make up your own canon?"

• nowisee
    nowisee

catholicism is just an easy target - so many of its teachings are obviously unscriptural.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Back in 1847, they were a mover and shaker in world events. The UN looked like that, too, for quite a while. Like others have said, they are an easy target. Antagonizing Catholics is an easy way to collect persecution points without actually getting killed. And the Church has often played an interfering role in the politics of third world nations. Being anti-catholic alone in some of these countries would engender a following.

Is there a weakness to be exploited? Yup. Big, old, musty religion, slow to change, comfortable in their authority, traditions of which the origins have been lost in the mists of time, hidden libraries, secret meetings, incalculable assets of land and gifts accumulated over time....

Wait. Who were we talking about, again?

• playdrums
    playdrums

nowisee:

catholicism is just an easy target - so many of its teachings are obviously unscriptural.

That's like saying I'm going to move from my river front estate to my own personal island because I hate the water. Judging by the WTBS' doctrinal interpretation of the Biblical text I'm going to have to eliminate this is a prime motivator. :-)

Personally, I think the motivations are more sinister than that and bluesapphire may be right that it is strictly numbers.

The WBTS has a foundation in lies and deceptions. What interests me is that lies, deception, and distortion always have the same target - truth. With this in mind I'm trying to understand all that the WBTS does because it is a well oiled machine for deception. It is obvious that the attacks on the Catholic Church and the work to harvest Catholics plays a role in this machine. I believe there is a powerful motive. I think the other thread comparing the memorial and the black mass is interesting for this reason as well.

I always ask the question, "Why use the Catholic's bible? Why not make up your own canon?"

Bluesapphire, I've wondered about that myself and it's a great question.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Because the hierarchy of the WTS is similar to Catholics. Think about: Vatican = Brooklyn; Pope = Whoever the president in Brooklyin is now; Governing body = cardinals; Priest = PO and Deacons = MS.

Also, their screaming about the innocents killed in Catholic wars does distract your attention from the innocents killed by refusing blood. Hell, both religions even come with child molesters.

Another reason: I have yet to meet a protestant that doesn't dislike the Catholics. Perhaps Monty Python said it best in their movie "The Meaning of Life":

Mr Blackitt: Look at them, bloody Catholics. Filling the bloody world up with bloody people they can't afford to bloody feed.

Mrs Blackitt: What are we dear?

Mr Blackitt: Protestant, and fiercely proud of it...

Mrs Blackitt: Why do they have so many children...?

Mr Blackitt: Because every time they have sexual intercourse they have to have a baby.

Mrs Blackitt: But it's the same with us, Harry.

Mr Blackitt: What d'you mean...?

Mrs Blackitt: Well I mean we've got two children and we've had sexual intercourse twice.

Mr Blackitt: That's not the point... We *could* have it any time we wanted.

Mrs Blackitt: Really?

Mr Blackitt: Oh yes. And, what's more, because we don't believe in all that Papist claptrap we can take precautions.

Mrs Blackitt: What, you mean lock the door...?

Mr Blackitt: No no, I mean, because we are members of the Protestant Reformed Church which successfully challenged the autocratic power of the Papacy in the mid-sixteenth century, we can wear little rubber devices to prevent issue.

Mrs Blackitt: What do you mean?

Mr Blackitt: I could, if I wanted, have sexual intercourse with you...

Mrs Blackitt: Oh, yes... Harry...

Mr Blackitt: And by wearing a rubber sheath over my old feller I could ensure that when I came off... you would not be impregnated.

Mrs Blackitt: Ooh!

Mr Blackitt: That's what being a Protestant's all about. That's why it's the church for me. That's why it's the church for anyone who respects the individual and the individual's right to decide for him or herself. When Martin Luther nailed his protest up to the church door in 1517, he may not have realised the full significance of what he was doing. But four hundred years later, thanks to him, my dear, I can wear whatever I want on my John Thomas. And Protestantism doesn't stop at the simple condom. Oh no! I can wear French Ticklers if I want.

Mrs Blackitt: You what?

Mr Blackitt: French Ticklers... Black Mambos... Crocodile Ribs...Sheaths that are designed not only to protect but also to enhance the stimulation of sexual congress...

Mrs Blackitt: Have you got one?

Mr Blackitt: Have I got one? Well no... But I can go down the road any time I want and walk into Harry's and hold my head up high, and say in a loud steady voice: 'Harry I want you to sell me a *condom*. In fact today I think I'll have a French Tickler, for I am a Protestant...'

Mrs Blackitt: Well why don't you?

Mr Blackitt: But they... [He points at the stream of children still pouring past the house.]... they cannot. Because their church never made the great leap out of the Middle Ages, and the domination of alien episcopal supremacy!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Big, old, musty religion, slow to change, comfortable in their authority, traditions of which the origins have been lost in the mists of time, hidden libraries, secret meetings, incalculable assets of land and gifts accumulated over time....

Wait. Who were we talking about, again?

ROFLMAO! Good one!

Somebody who has more knowledge of the Rutherford era of the WT could probably comment on this topic more intelligently than I can. Being the drunken populist politician that he was, I think he enjoyed pissing people off, and Catholicism was his favorite target, "tanning the old whore's hide" and all that. His spirit lingers in dub-land to this day, I think Jaracz has a bronze bust of Rutherford that he burns incense to.

Check out James Penton's book Apocalypse Delayed, it's a scholarly history of the Watchtower.

• Francois
    Francois

Well, it's a known psychological fact that the more of yourself and your worst habits you see in another person, the more intolerant and hateful you are toward that person.

The JWs are nothing more than a micro-carbon copy of the Catholic Church and it knows it, thus is it intolerant and hateful of the Catholic Church while being exactly like it.

Simple.

francois

• demar
    demar

you know I find it funny how the watchtower ridicules the catholic church about christmas being the birth of christ and not having any doctrinal support for that date. But doesnt give any scriptural documentation for the so called year 1928 when heaven was closed, and only 144000 people were getting in. I wonder do you witnesses have any idea where that teaching comes from? Well I'll tell you because you're elders won't. During a speech in Washington D.C Judge Rutherford(your 2nd president) said he had a revelation that heaven was closed and no one else was getting in. Thats it! No scripture proof, no proof that he was inspired when making that speech, zilch! While the bible in revelation says there was a number no man could number of people and men from every kindred and every tongue and every tribe are there. Tell me is better to believe God or man?

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

JEALOUSY

pure and simple.

Ravyn(of the converted-to-Catholicism-to-be-first-in-line-when-the-Vatican-opens-the-secret-libraries Class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit