Buddhists and Jehovah's Witnesses

by tornapart 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tornapart
    tornapart

Recently I have just started looking into what Buddhism is all about. I rather like the idea of a personal spirituality. Of trying to be a better person and an acceptance of the reality of life and trying to find an inner peace and contentment.

Anyway, I came across this today. A buddhist who met his girlfriend's mother who happened to be a JW. It wasn't so much his account that interested me as the comments afterwards.

Also, I wonder has anyone else dabbled with the idea of buddhism? Not as a replacement theology but as wanting to be a more contented person.

anyway, here's the link....

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/13260/an-evening-with-a-jehovahs-witness

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Great post.

The Buddah " Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who said it, no matter if I said it, unless it agrees with your own common sence"

Sadly many buddists don't follow that advice and like the G.B many expect you to follow there version of buddisam.

I would definitely reccomend you examine the 6 noble truths, it's a great way to be at peace and content.

The Rebel.

p.s thanks for the link, I am a member on that site, but I don't post as I don't feel qualified.

• tornapart
    tornapart
    Thanks Rebel. yes I'll do that... and that's a great quote!
  • KateWild
    KateWild

My brother married a Buddhist wife in Vietnam. They have some cultish rituals and superstitions. I think all religion is about control myself and am happy away from it. I feel I have good morals and a sense of justice. I follow the philosophy of many who say "Be nice"

Kate xx

• tornapart
    tornapart

Kate, yes I agree and there's no way I want to get into any of that. I'm just interested in the philosophical and ethical side of it.

I believe spirituality is very much a personal thing, and I don't mean as to whether someone believes in the existence of God/gods or not but from purely how one feels connected to the world and the universe and everything and everyone in it and being able to find an inner peace and contentment which after being ripped to shreds by a high control religion, we all need to find in our own way.

• cappytan
    cappytan

I consider myself a Secular Buddhist.

I don't buy into the supernatural reincarnation beliefs. But I buy into the core philosophy.

And Mindfulness Meditation and Zazen Meditation has been very enjoyable and refreshing.

I recommend at the very least, try meditation. The demons won't get you.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai
    I like to go to a quiet Buddhist temple, here in Japan, and sit in front of a zen garden. I sit and try to contemplate the beauty before me. I empty my mind and focus only on the shades of green, the ripples on the water, the perfect blue sky, the perfect placements of stone, the pure white sand contrasted by lush green moss - that is the closest thing there is for me that I can call a religious experience.
  • tornapart
    tornapart

Cappytan- Secular Buddhist... I like that

Bonsai- That really appeals to me! Sounds idyllic!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

In the article, the Buddhist says of the JW, "At the end of the conversation, she was *glowing* with positive energy."

I would hate to tell him that it's just because she "placed" books with him and he promised to read them. She sees him as a potential convert or at least someone to count much time with. As a matter of fact, she will count the time of their discussion.

But on to better thoughts: You ask "Also, I wonder has anyone else dabbled with the idea of buddhism? Not as a replacement theology but as wanting to be a more contented person."

Many ex-JW's have included eastern thought and eastern reading and eastern meditating in their spiritual journey. I am one of those. I favor Tao and Zen Buddhism. Whether we were seeking God or enlightenment or just inner peace, eastern thought is an excellent place to look. The beauty of such thought is that you can embrace some of it and not all of it. You don't need to "believe" a certain way to appreciate the ideas that "less is more" or that "all are equal" and that "life is precious."

I don't care for books by "The Dalai Llama" but I have found excellent wisdom from other eastern sources. I particularly like Pema Chödrön, an American author relating to Tibetan Buddhism. She is an ordained nun and I just ignore the brief references to "master so-and-so" and focus on the thoughts when I read her books. (So even those who preach "all are equal" show that some are "more equal" than others.)

• tornapart
    tornapart

Thanks for that OTWO .... I thought exactly the same as you about the JW mum.. LOL

As for embracing some of it but not all... that's how I see it. There's a lot of valuable ideas within buddhism but it doesn't mean you have to believe everything that's taught or engage in endless rituals but just to take what appeals to you individually to use in your own journey.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit