A series of Animal Rights questions

by zucker 32 Replies latest jw friends

• zucker
    zucker

I was just thinking about some information I read on a animal rights website (peta.org) and decided I would get your feedback since you seem like a fair crowd.

Do you think the majority of people in the U.S or in industrialized nations know about the horrible conditions that animals face everyday under the context of food production? If not, why not? Do you believe that if the conditions that animals faced were exposed on the tv screen as much as say long distance telephone service there would be as much consumption of animal products? If you are a meet eater, ( I honestly don't mean to belittle you in anyway) why do you eat meat if you are aware that it's production causes extreme pain to other living things?

• Gopher
    Gopher

I don't know whether animals have "rights" as PETA preaches. That is open for debate. I don't believe animals should be or can be placed on the same plane as humans.

I eat meat because of the basic need for protein in the diet. I don't eat meat out of a general disdain or hatred for animals.

As far as pain and suffering, even animals kill other animals to meet their dietary needs. It's part of daily life on planet earth, like it or not.

Should certain conditions at slaughterhouses be more humane? Probably so. The meat industry should not go completely uncriticized or unregulated. Many years ago I learned about the way veal was produced, and it convinced me to personally not choose to support the veal industry, to go more for chicken and fish.

People need more education to make balanced decisions. To go to the extreme of avoiding meat all together, I don't think is a practical goal for groups like PETA. It makes them look like extremists. However education and discussion cannot be bad things.

• Simon
    Simon

I think it's a case of "out of sight, out of mind"

It's interesting that many view muslim practices of slaughtering animals as barbaric ... but we do the same thing on a much bigger scale !

Much of our food is disgusting, it is prepared in disgusting conditions and no one bothers 'cause we only see the bit on our plate.

• Simon
    Simon

re: the pain and suffering ...

I don't believe that we should not eat meat. However, animals should not have to g othrough hell for us to get it cheaper or for someone else to make more profit.

There are laws about the transport of animals - they should have water, not be too cramped and have rests after so many hours of travelling.

I think it's reasonable to not want them to suffer even if you are not a vegetarian.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Zucker-

I actually do know of the atrocities that animals endure in order for us to consume them: like how the baby cows aren't allowed to move so that their flesh is more tender.

Why do I still eat meat? Well, because veal tastes good, along with steak and chicken. I do not believe that animals are equal to humans and therefore do not have the rights that we have. I could explain further if you'd like.

So your next question is probably, 'don't you think it's wrong that they suffer so much?" I suppose, but I tend to worry more about human suffering. If a cow has to suffer in order for a human to be fed. . so be it.

I honestly don't have a major philosophical reason for my beliefs.

• foreword
    foreword

Funny this subject is brought up today. I am totally pissed and I'll tell you why.

Last fall, a family from Florida moved in our area (northern Maine). They rented a house and had a bunch of animals all over the place; chickens, a goat, sheep, horse...the whole nine yards. These guys were christians, pentecostal I presume. He even came knocking on my door to preach with his daughter.

We've had a particular hard winter...cold as hell...and it lasted and lasted.....

I met him in february at the grocery store and asked him how he was doing, and I inquired about the animals he had, he said they were fine. I don't think he knew, coming from Florida, how cold it can get here.

This morning I find out, the guy skipped town and left all the animals in the house. They died of hunger and froze to death. I really can't believe it. But I'll tell ya, it doesn't stand right by me, and he's not through with me either. I'm gonna track this idiot down and I'll have him prosecuted that's for damn sure.

When I look at the world, I believe something has to change. Humans have a choice but animals don't. And sometimes I think, if God really exists, the animal kingdom could really benefit from his kingdom and to be freed from the tyrant human race.

I love animals, they are great companions especially when you treat them right.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

P. eople E. ating T. asty A. nimals

• Shakita
    Shakita

Ashi....

Just visited the peta site. They are trying to link SARS with eating meat!

It's not farfetched that a vegetarian diet could have prevented this deadly disease.

The severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) now spreading across the globe is apparently just one more example of a situation in which a virus has leaped from animals to people. Many viruses are harmless to animals but mutate and become deadly when they infect human beings.

See Also:
    Free Vegetarian Starter Kit

Meet Your Meat

Popular Features

SeaVegetariano.com
    SARS evolved in southern China, where 80 million people share living space with the ducks, chickens, pigs, shrimp, and carp they eat. Chicken waste is fed to pigs. Pig waste is dumped into ponds in which shrimp and fish are raised for food. All the animals are crowded into small spaces where viruses thrive. One scientist called this area "a complete soup of chemicals and viruses." Another explained, "A virus gets into a duck, it jumps to the pig. It mutates, the pig excretes it and humans can become infected."

The World Health Organization reports that, like SARS, the annual influenzas that sicken and kill thousands every year almost always originate in animals in southern China and Hong Kong.

All this disease comes from people's desire to consume meat and to farm animals in small spaces. The stress of intensive farming promotes illness, which is why massive doses of antibiotics are put into animal feed on Western factory farms-antibiotics which, in turn, lower human resistance to disease. SARS is thought to be a virulent form of coronavirus. A top Canadian researcher believes that "the coronavirus in animals may be associated with the 'shipping fever' pigs and cattle get when they are stressed by the crowded transport situations they are in when they are sent to feedlots before slaughter."
    • The influenza epidemic of 1918 originated in pigs. It swept the globe, killing 20 million people. By 1920, nearly every American family had lost one member to this flu.
    • The Hong Kong avian flu of 1997 jumped from chickens to people, sickening hundreds and killing six. To stop the spread of the disease, 1.5 million chickens were slaughtered.

Journal of Food Protection.

SARS does not come close to delivering the tally of death, sickness, and tragedy that meat-related heart disease, cancer, strokes, high blood pressure, and other ailments cause.

According to Dr. T. Colin Campbell, nutritional researcher at Cornell University and director of the largest epidemiological study in history, "The vast majority of all cancers, cardiovascular diseases, and other forms of degenerative illness can be prevented ... simply by adopting a plant-based diet."

And the cost to animals is beyond measure. Crammed together in tiny spaces, living above their own waste, never breathing fresh air or feeling the sunshine on their backs, they never know a moment's joy or contentment.

The solution is to stop treating animals as though they have no feelings or needs. The farmed-animal industry will change only when we force it to by refusing to buy its products. Going vegan will save animals' lives-and it could save yours, too.

I personally would have no problem becoming a vegetarian. Shopping for meat at the grocery store always makes me nauseous! I am a product of how I grew up though, and do eat meat.

I must admit that I am ignorant of how the animals are treated before they become our dinner entree. All living creatures must be treated humanely, however, regardless if they are our pets... or our supper.

Mrs. Shakita

• zucker
    zucker

"I eat meat because of the basic need for protein in the diet. I don't eat meat out of a general disdain or hatred for animals." Gopher

Are you aware that there are certain vegtables that provide the required amounts of protein for the human diet? And while it is true that animals do eat each other, they only do so because they have to. We have the choice of what our food can be. Hopefully our intellect will move us to help animals instead of killing them.

On a different note I was watching a movie recently called "The Hunted", with Benicio Del Toro and Tommy Lee Jones. When the main character played by Benicio Del Toro is under questioning, he retorts to the questions asked him- "Are you aware that six billion chickens are killed every year." What if a higher life form were to come down and slaughter us wholesale"? Basically the point was, just because we have the power to consume animals doesn't mean we should. No matter how hard one tries to regulate the industry there will still be mass suffering on the part of the animals.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

1st question: yes i am aware

2nd ": yes i believe meat sales would fall but only for a short time.

3rd ": because i like the taste, and its not my job to police factories

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit