Is the baby being thrown out with the bath water?

by Chap 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Chap
    Chap

If God spoke to a man and told him to write down what he said, how are we to distinguish this writing from other people who say God spoke to them? We know the human beings can lie about anything for any reason. If a writing supposedly contains prophesy, some say it wasn't prophesy and was written after the fact. If something was written one hundred years ago and was considered correct in the sciences of the time, it would probably be thrown out today. Things we know to be true today will change just like they always have as far as the sciences are concerned. If God spoke to you about how things came into being, would he have to lie to you in order for you to believe him because of what you consider to be scientific fact?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

God's never spoken to me.

• COMF
    COMF

Folks are wise to require convincing evidence of a claim before believing it. Your argument seems to be that the course of wisdom is to believe an unproven claim until it is debunked. Strange.

By the way, I'm selling the Golden Gate Bridge for $1000. Interested? Think of all the money you could make by turning it into a toll bridge.

• gumby
    gumby
    If God spoke to a man and told him to write down what he said, how are we to distinguish this writing from other people who say God spoke to them?

Did God EVER tell someone to write the New Testement? Did God say...."Paul, I want you to write down all that you do and keep it in a neat book......cuz you'll need it later. And you Mark, and John,and on and on" ? He never commanded that a book be combined and added to the old Testemant for the rest of the world to live by. So basically it's as you say......another interpretation of how to live by some men.

Gumby

If someone can show me in the scriptures which teaches this.....I'd like to see it. Any volunteers?

• Scully
    Scully
    If God spoke to a man and told him to write down what he said, how are we to distinguish this writing from other people who say God spoke to them?

Rule #24 of Psychiatric Nursing:

When someone talks to God, it's called prayer. When God talks to them, it's called schizophrenia.

Love, Scully

• Chap
    Chap

Rev. 1:11
    Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.

Thats one example that comes to mind now, I'll think of others. The churches chose which writings that were to be included in the New Testament Canon by how well the person knew Jesus on earth (disciple), the accuracy of the events, etc.

• gumby
    gumby

Chap,

Rev. 1:11
    Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.

What is you point in this scripture? What does this have to do with what I said?

Gumby

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

That chap at Wayco (sp?) didn't God speak to him? You know, the guy who had sex with 10 yr olds. He even convinced the men to be celibate, while he fathered children with their wives and their children.

He was one of the few that prayed to God and God spoke to him.

There. That chould convince all that God does speak to some of us.

Outoftheorg

• hippikon
    hippikon
    how are we to distinguish this writing from other people who say God spoke to them

My point exactly

COMF: Can I have two please

• Satanus
    Satanus

Why doesn't god just speak to everyone?

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit