This is an honest question

by berylblue 32 Replies latest jw friends

• berylblue
    berylblue

After perusing the various "Freedom of Speech" threads, I noted that anti-Semitism is prohibited here, as (I imagine, by logical extension) would be anti-Black, anti-Latino, etc. statements. As well these things should be.

So how is it fair to allow inflammatory anti-American sentiments be expressed? I'm really trying to reason this out. The only thing I can come up with (other than the fact is is so "in vogue" to trash Americans) is that some have the perception that "we" (Americans) created the situations we find ourselves in, while Jews and others are innocent victims.

I would really love to hear your thoughts.

Rosemarie

• COMF
    COMF

I imagine it's a matter of walking the thin line between anti-[whatever] and having a mature discussion about the behavior, motives and goals of [whatever]. Anti-[whatever] rhetoric is easily distinguished from mature discussion.

• Brummie
    Brummie
    allow inflammatory anti-American sentiments be expressed?

I dont think the Jewish(-black racism) etc suffering can be even slightly compared to the silly name calling that goes on here.

Most of the arguments have been about anti war not Anti USA though there are a few that could be interpreted as such...naturally we get anti British comments too but everyone seems to give as good as they get.

Brummie

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

anti-american is an absurd notion

• Simon
    Simon

You are comparing definite prejudices relating to race (jew, black, hispanic) to criticism of a countries foreign policy.

While foreign policy can be discussed and debated, most things realated to race cannot (I know there are some exceptions to this).

Also, labelling something as "anti-American" does not mean something is anti-American. Too often this is used to dismiss uncomfortable issues.

• berylblue
    berylblue
    You are comparing definite prejudices relating to race (jew, black, hispanic) to criticism of a countries foreign policy.

Yes, this is true. Thanks for pointing that out. But there have been statements made that ALL Americans are such and such. This apart from any attached political sentiments. This would appear to me, at least superficially, to be a prejudicial statement based on someone's nationality. An accident of birth.

I'm not trying to start any arguments, I just need to read all the comments and then think about it.

Thanks, every one.

Rosemarie

• gumby
    gumby

Witnesses are dirty Bastards!

Am I being a racist in saying this? No, I am not attacking someone PERSONALLY.....I am talking about what they as a group stand for. Are all witnesses bastards? No. Many are really nice people.

Do we hate the individuals or do we hate how they think and believe?

It's the same with America. When people say negative things about our country they are not saying all of what this country do is bad. People are unhappy with choices american leaders make.......not America.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    People are unhappy with choices american leaders make.......not America.
    Also, labelling something as "anti-American" does not mean something is anti-American. Too often this is used to dismiss uncomfortable issues.

That's where I stand on this. It's a wonder with all of the guff and apostate name calling we got back in the JWs, that we all at some time or another fall into old patterns. Human nature I guess.

ash

• berylblue
    berylblue
    When people say negative things about our country they are not saying all of what this country do is bad.

Thanks. I do realize this. But sometimes persons absolutely DO make just plain out prejudicial statements about Americans. Not the US government. About Americans as individuals.

Don't get me wrong, I generally don't mind. I just can't understand why it is not considered racist to state that all Americans are, say, hypocrites, but it would be considered racist if someone said all Jewish persons were hypocrites.

Does anyone get my point? I guess, once again, my lack of eloquence and logic is shining through.

It's not all that important, anyway. I just wanted to understand why.

Rosemarie

• Xena
    Xena
    Witnesses are dirty Bastards!
    Am I being a racist in saying this? No, I am not attacking someone PERSONALLY.....I am talking about what they as a group stand for. Are all witnesses bastards? No. Many are really nice people.

If you were a part of this group might you not take it personally? How exactly would you know they WEREN'T referring to you? Only if they said "All Witnesses are dirty Bastards, except Gumby of course".

And where do you draw the line with the "anti" statements? Race? Ethinic Group? Gender? Age? Nationality? Religious Affiliation?

It's the same with America. When people say negative things about our country they are not saying all of what this country do is bad. People are unhappy with choices american leaders make.......not America.

If that is what they are saying..then why don't they just say that? And when asked about their statements all you get in return is "geez Americans are Sooooo Sensitive and take everything Soooo Personally". Why not explain what they really meant? How hard would that be?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit