Theft of Identity from the Borg

by Yizuman 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

I had a thought for most of the ex-JWs who spent most of their lives in the borg. For those who left the borg, has anyone stopped and think, "Who am I really supposed to be apart from the borg?"

Have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you had never been a JW? Do you feel like your whole self and identity has been stripped from you? (like what the borg tells you to "avoid independent thinking")

Thoughts?

Yizuman

• basics-for-me
    basics-for-me

How pertinent I found your post to be at this particular time of my life.

I am in the process of reconstructing the tattered remains of what I was able to salvage, after walking away from the organisation.

The search for true self-identity however, I believe will be an ongoing process. This is something that I have happily embarked on, with some measure of success already.

Life now for me, rather than being dreary, full of gloom and humdrum, is full of exciting potential, optimism and vibrance.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

Bay64me.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Yes, I feel that because I became a Witness, there are alot of friends that I just don't have anymore. Some are forever lost as I have lost contact with all the "worldly" people I knew, throwing out old phone books and starting fresh when I became a dub.

I know that when I was urged on by my "spiritual parents" to get out of being the Maid of Honor at my sister's wedding, I know it deeply hurt her.

I missed my high school reunion because of JW's, both the 15 and 20 year reunions.

I am too embarrassed to call my best friend since kindergarten, but have found out where she is: sadly, her dad died and it was published in the paper and my mom lives in our old area, so I got it. I stopped returning her calls after I became a JW in 1991, so now its about 12 years since I spoke to her.

And, I know I passed on a great guy in order to continue my studies and he would not.

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

If you have been a dub for a long time, I believe when you leave is the time to begin re buidling your life. The dubs do dtrip you from your real self but this is the time to rebuild YOU !

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

It made me who I am today. For better or worse.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

I think all our life decisions make us who we are. Not everything I learned and experienced in JWs is all bad. And out of the bad, I learned a lot of how I NEVER WANT TO BE AGAIN.

My family and friends that meant anything to me before I became a witness welcomed me back with open arms. In fact, most of them said, "We knew you'd come out!" That shows you how much they believed in me.

The only loss I have is my one sister. And I truly miss her very much. But I have hope that it will not always be the way it is.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Blue, my dad and mom are so happy I am out of the borg. My dad is excited about being able to celebrate holidays with my little girl and enjoy the fantasy of the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause............

• Simon
    Simon

I think I lost the "real me" when I was a little lad many years ago. He's probably still in here, buried deep down but I'll never be the person I should have been or be able to replace what was lost.

• free will
    free will

yes! but i also agree with el kabong and blue sapphire.

• Jayson
    Jayson
    I think I lost the "real me" when I was a little lad many years ago. He's probably still in here, buried deep down but I'll never be the person I should have been or be able to replace what was lost.

Simon,

That makes me sad. I'm sorry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit