wasted in arguments

by hippikon 29 Replies latest jw friends

• hippikon
    hippikon

I think a lot of space is wasted in arguments that get personal. We are a varied bunch and I think that variety is good. I don’t want to discourage anyone from posting but personal attacks ( justified or not) don’t achieve anything. But then again if you dish it out you should be able to take it. What’s the point to insults and personal criticisms. Is it some kind of intellectual gymnastics – trying to out insult and out intellectualise each other. Kind of like a Superfine Apostate Attitude. I think a lot would be discouraged from posting fearing unconstructive criticism.

We need to accept that people are different and accept them or we are no better that those which we have left. (I must admit I have been tempted to “take the piss” on a number of occasions) Different – Not better Not Worse different attitudes, experiences and cultures

Personally I don’t take it to seriously because I think the whole subject of religion is bullshit. (I know that’s not an intellectual answer – sorry to disappoint some)

I enjoy reading and participating but I don’t need the board. For me it is a constant source of humour.

My personal thanks to you all for participating

"But it does move"
    Galileo

• hippikon
    hippikon

Addendum: Someone of low self-esteem will belittle another to make himself look superior

• goo
    goo

hi hippikon, i'm writing this at the risk of being slammed,

but today i just got so very, very upset about what was being said to emyrose. it made me so sad i cried.

i understand that by saying this i am setting myself up as a target by her detractors as well.

go ahead guys slam me if it makes you feel better - i think you know by now your acceptance & opinion of me never was, never has and never will be of any consequence.

goo.

• mommy
    mommy

Hippi,
    When you do post, I enjoy reading them. I think you are right on. Alot of people will resort to name calling when the argument has gone over their heads. How silly and childish these people are, they are so obvious, names don't even have to be mentioned.
    I think if we limit replies to outrageous posts, perhaps the slamming will end. We all have met people like this in real life, and realize nothing we say is going to sway them either way. Alot of people like to wear the martyr crown, for one reason or another.

Goo,
    ((((hugs)))) I am sorry you cried today. Misplaced emotions are very common when coming out of a cult. Here is to hoping you have a better day tomorrow,
    wendy

• goo
    goo

hello mommy, i hope my sweet emyrose has a better day to.

mommy i'm not sure what you mean by a misplaced emotion?

thank you for your hugs mommy.

goo.

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Well said Hippikon!!
    Goo, hugs from me too!!!!!!
    TW

• emyrose
    emyrose

Hi Goo,
    Thankyou for acknowledging what has been
    done to me on this board, it is an experience I'll
    never forget. When a mob-mentality breaks free
    it is a rare thing when someone stands up against them.
    Maybe you've had a similar exp. and can empathize
    and sympatize with my situation, and decided to speak up. Unfortunately, we tend
    to remember the most painful experiences in our lives.
    But, I've had a tough live and will bounce back in time.

Thanks again for your kindness, Goo
    Emyrose

PS, don't you think that mob-mentality is still present
    in someone's post in this thread. It seems that they continue
    to be too one-sided and completely blind to the attacks made on
    me. In an effort justify their actions and the action of their
    mob-buddies they see only what they want to see. What a pity.

• goo
    goo

hello emyrose i don't like it when people want to kill beautiful things i think that's what upset me so much. glad to hear you'll be bouncing back. goo.

• mommy
    mommy

There comes a time when I just have to throw up my hands and tell it like it is. This is one of those times.
    Emyrose, get a life dear. You obviously have way too much time on your hands. I tried being nice to you, but that didn't work, so I guess I will have to tell you like it is. You are new here and have no ideaabout anybody on this form. You come waltzing in here with empty headed ideas and nothing to back them up, start name calling. Oh yes you get encouragement, but it is from tweedle-dee and tweedle dumb. And you are so new, and so blind, you can't even see they are using you and your voice to make a point, which is completly invalid point anyway.

My advice is the same as it was before slow down, think before you post, and really read others posts. I can't tell if they are making a bigger fool out of you or you are doing it yourself. Poor girl you really are new to this aren't you?

I had plenty more to say, but I actually feel sorry for you now. I am no longer angry at your empty headed stupidity you are showing. I just regret you got sucked into the middle of a mess caused by two or more people who have every intention of destroying any good that occurs here.

I really hope you don't take the insults seriously, because they are not being taken seriously from you. This is a discussion board, and ayone who brings anything personal into this, really needs a reality check. I have had to take a break from the forum before because of things becoming too personal. Perhaps you should try this.
    wendy

• goo
    goo

goo.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit