Do You Still study The Bible?

by minimus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Every JW knows you can't study the Bible on its own.

It's much easer to understand with an Arab interpreter .. or a few good history books. (we gotta compare libraries one day ozzie

Now that archaeology has revealed much of the source material the bible is based on and our knowledge of science has increased our understanding of so called miracles (bloody nile = red algal bloom, burning bush = local desert flora that still self conbusts on occations) there isn'tmuch else to call the old book but a mish mash of borrowed ideas and outdated concepts. Apart from a historically interesting document it is totally irrellevent to the civilized world in which we live.

unclebruce.

ps: do you have any thoughts or opinions on this yourself minimouse?

pss: you been back to our other topic yet?

• minimus
    minimus

I do read the Bible. And I now do it with a different mindset, a different perspective......Ozzie, you answered yes and no. My impression would've been just yes from you......... UnkleBooze, I suggest you explain to us, the book of Revelation. If anyone could do it, it's you.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Ozzie, you answered yes and no. My impression would've been just yes from you.

Don't understand, Mini, you asked TWO questions and I gave TWO answers:

1. Do you still believe the Bible? YES

2. Are you all bibled out? NO

Simple. Easiest exam I've taken.

Cheers, Ozzie

• gumby
    gumby
    Now that archaeology has revealed much of the source material the bible is based on and our knowledge of science has increased our understanding of so called miracles (bloody nile = red algal bloom, burning bush = local desert flora that still self conbusts on occations

Uncle gumtree faller,

There is going to be a special I believe on the discovery channel or history channel this sunday that deals with the things you mentioned........ya smart bastard!

Gumby

• nowisee
    nowisee

this seems like a repeat of one of rayzorblades questions the other day, the "then and now" thread.

i don't "still" study the bible because i had shelved it for many many years. now, however, i am back into the bible redescovering it without looking through the lens of the wts. so much to learn anew.

also.....the fact that some miracles can be explained by natural causes does not necessarily negate the possibility that God used those natural phenomena to accomplish his purposes within His set time frame.

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

No.

Having the guts to evaluate the WT honestly also gave me the guts to evaluate "the God of the Bible" honestly. And he came across more like an abusive spouse and parent than anything else.

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

No, I dont believe it anymore.

• JH
    JH

No, I don't even open the book anymore.

I studied enough in the past. Now I'm waiting for proof of God's love, not just words.

• minimus
    minimus

I wonder if being a Witness makes people think that they've been Bibled-out. For many, looking at a Bible just isn't something of interest anymore. I don't pretend to know the Bible better than another person but it still interests me.

• Dawn
    Dawn

YES!!

I study it quite a bit now. Mostly because I have realized that I had a completely inaccurate understanding of it and decided to resolve that. I find that reading it now is much easier AND more enjoyable - probably because it makes sense. I no longer have to try and twist the scriptures into some pretzel type explanation to wrap it around a completely unsupported doctrine (like only 144,000 going to heaven). Now I read the bible free of any help other than the holy spirit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit