What’s the deal with all the Smart-Educated JWs?

by John Aquila 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Londo111
    Londo111

Back in my koolaid days, when discussing why we 'knew' we had the truth, a born-in person with a PhD, a scientist no less, did not focus on anything concrete, like doctrine. He basically pointed to nebulous things, like “the brotherhood” and “the worldwide work”, such as the same work being organized and uniform in hundreds of countries, or helping out after a natural disaster.

Even then, I could see other organizations that could claim much the same things and that the JWs were not unique in this.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Btw I am not saying that all people with vocational degrees lack intellectual rigour - far from it. I am saying that some degrees, medicine for instance, would be easier to undertake and not find your JW worldview too unchallenged if you had a mind.

With regard to the cultural aspect of studying in the USA, I think your less likely to have your beliefs challenged on a personal basis by fellow students.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

when discussing why we 'knew' we had the truth, a born-in person with a PhD, a scientist no less, did not focus on anything concrete, like doctrine. He basically pointed to nebulous things, like “the brotherhood..

.Even then, I could see other organizations that could claim much the same things and that the JWs were not unique in this.

Image result for the brotherhood pics

• done4good
    done4good

Diogenesister - This is not a USA vs. Europe thing. A masters or PhD from any real university is an academically rigorous degree.

We are not just talking about converts that already had their degrees before becoming a JW. This affects born-ins and raised-ins as well, even more so. Many of these folks do go to university, (I did), and what happens is the programming is already well set in by that time, so it is easy to remain in, as one can treat the experience as "necessary business". Remember JWs that do go to university are going for career purposes, not to be enlightened in the general sense, so it is easier for them to have a rather disengaged viewpoint to the experience, even though they may perform well academically. Compartmentalization is the result, unless one is already having doubts.

University educated people have a greater degree of success in aggregate than non-university educated folks. Successful people have higher levels of self-esteem, and generally work to preserve that self-esteem. If something stands in the way of the ability to maintain a healthy level of self-esteem, (such as being wronged in a judicial committee, divorce, etc.), this will lead a successful person to often see things as they really are. Those experiences can happen several years into the future after one's education is completed.

d4g

• Sofia Lose
    Sofia Lose

In my Spanish cong, all youngsters already graduated are going to college, online or otherwise.

It is great to know the parents have enough sense to encourage education. It is surprising the increasing numbers of JWs that are not buying into the WTBTS bs anymore.

SL

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Education can separate itself from relgoius indoctrination, for example I knew some men who finished high school and went onto College to eventually become elders .

There are certain people who are well educated, who think even if the JWS doctrines were not true, the

socialization of being a JWS is beneficial to them as well others, which they hold within their beliefs.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

I have had dealings with born in and converts who were well educated and like a lot of people they fall victim to getting their ears tickled by faint praise from the rank and file, it's a bit of an ego thing that all humans are susceptible to I suspect. But as long as their perceptions are just theorized about in the abstract they are fine when it comes to Borg life. It's when things come out of the theoretical and enter vivid reality things shake them back to more rational thought like a life or death decision over the blood issue for example.

Just my opinion and it doesn't reflect any medical or psychological merit it's just what I have observed. That's why sometimes it's best to get an opinion from someone like Viviane, you don't have to worry about fuelling any narcissistic tendencies you might have with her observations. LOL.

• cantleave
    cantleave
    I am certain the majority of older, well educated dubs are are aware it's all a crock of shit, but are too embedded to leave, they would lose too much in terms of family, friends and status.
  • wisdomfrombelow
    wisdomfrombelow

I also have noticed that the well-educated witnesses tend to associate with each other and therefore it reinforces their willingness to stay. Some of them also "try harder" by pioneering and reaching out to show that the Society is wrong by saying worldly education will lead you away from Jehovah.

Also, some of them seem to be drawn to the foreign-language groups since they can use their mind learning a new language instead of just going to a mind-numbing english language meeting. Also, if they marry less-educated witnesses there might be a challenge to defend their education by staying in as well.

I know many of them that see the flaws but don't know how to get out or don't want to suffer the change in social status that leaving will result in.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Indoctrination and cult recruitment has nothing to do with IQ or education.

Stephen Hassan was recruited by the Moonies at University if I remember correctly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit