Do they notice who no longer gives donations?

by onightdivine 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

We haven't put in a penny since 2002. I am sure the've noticed through the years because we used to put checks in and asked for tax receipts at the end of the year.

They have a general idea who contributes what.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    It's typically more the case where they notice who DOES donate rather than who does not donate. And again, it's really the accounts servant who is supposed to have a general idea and nobody else. Even if they do have an idea, it's supposed to be anonymous and they will never say anything to you about it. Don't worry at all about the money thing.
  • TheListener
    TheListener
    Walk to the box and pretend to put something in. Do it every time you attend a meeting. I wouldn't put an empty envelope in because that will alert them that something is up. Just pretend to have some folded up cash.
  • DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

I still go to the box, just like I always did, and act like I am putting money in, just in case someone's watching. Plus I always do it just after the first of the month, because that when all the retired get their checks. I would hate to be seen looking like I put something in, then they find nothing!

I was an ms for years, once I had an elder tell me I should always put checks in the box. I know he wanted to see what all the ms's donated!

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Neither local elders nor the Watchtower Society has a process to determine whether particular individuals donate or not.

On the other hand local elders and the Watchtower Society does have a process in place to determine whether a particular congregation is donating or not by comparison with other congregations in the area or elsewhere. This is a statistic that is watched very closely inside Watchtower as an early warning of something going awry. Watchtower crunches these numbers every way you can imagine for a range of reasons including 1) whether something's going wrong with a congregation, a circuit, a circuit overseer, an internal Branch attendant charged with overseeing a particular geographical area, and 2) projecting future cash flows.

• tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd
    Never donated by check. Only once in my life did I have enough deductions to itemize, so I never needed a receipt for tax reasons and always donated by cash. They would probably notice if someone stopped donating via check, but have no way of tracking cash donations. I've heard of elders watching the box in some congregations, but that has never been my experience.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Who'd have thought their vaunted policy of "anonymous donations only" could have ever been used - albeit passively - against them?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

We used to have a Direct Debit from our bank for £40.00 per month. I stopped this in 2006 as we were not that well off, well, we were struggling actually, and I thought to myself "Well, we are doing everything right, if jehovah blesses us with a better income, then we will start to give again, if not he had better persuade some of those dodgy dealers making many a fast Buck in the Congregation to give a bit more themselves".

I guess this was about the time I started to wake up really, we attended our very last D.C/R.C that year, I stopped going DtoD in early 2007, left in 2008.

Nobody said a word about our lack of Contributions, how could they ? I doubt very much if the Accounts guy mentioned it, knowing him, good guy.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Oops, meant to say "voluntary donations only"...
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    They generally know who gives and who does not. You pick-up on certain statements the elders or ''popular'' ones make over the years about who gives money, subtle statements.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit