Something for france to think about

by pr_capone 32 Replies latest jw friends

• foreword
    foreword

Read your history my man.....

Canada, in regards to population to military ratios made bigger sacrifices than you guys. And if you read even further you will find that they had a lot to do with pushing back the germans, more than what you guys pretend to have accomplished. Their successes are in the history books, care to research that.

You make it sound like you guys defeated the germans and liberated the French by yourself...LOL on that one.

I'll give you guys the credit of having a strong military force. Your exploits in Iraq are compared to a major league baseball team playing against a little league team. Plus you used most of your ammo to do it. Nothing to brag about.

I've got visit so I'll check later

• Englishman
    Englishman

PR,

Your point woulde be good, except that you missed out all the countries trhat did considerably more than the US.

Look at these figures for WW1 alone, in particular for the Western Front. That's France BTW:

How big was the army? Total enlistments
    Men from United Kingdom, in Army in August 1914:733,514
    plus Recruited from England :4,006,158
    plus Recruited from Scotland: 557,618
    plus recruited from Wales and Monmouth:272,924
    plus Recruited from Ireland:134,202
    Total size of contingents sent to serve overseas:
    From Canada:418,035of total 628,964 in arms
    From Australian and Tasmania:330,000of total 416,809 in arms
    From New Zealand:100,471of total 220,099 in arms
    From South Africa:74,196of total 136,070 in arms
    From Newfoundland:10,610of total 11,922 in arms
    From West Indies:16,000This total to end of 1917
    From other Dominions:31,000
    Total British Army servicemen available for deployment:7,165,280
    From the Indian Army and other 'coloured troops':1,524,187
    Total force available for deployment:8,689,467
    Where did these men serve?
    Theatre of war:Peak strength (i.e. maximum at any one time)Total employed (i.e. saw service in this theatre at some point)
    The Western Front:2,046,9015,399,563
    Mesopotamia: 447,531889,702
    Egypt and Palestine:432,8571,192,511
    Salonika:285,021404,207
    Italy:132,667145,764
    Gallipoli:127,737468,987
    Other theatres :293,095475,210
    How many soldiers were killed?

According to figures produced in the 1920's by the Central Statistical Office, total British Army casualties were as follows:

Total killed in action, plus died of wounds, disease or injury, plus missing presumed dead:956,703Royal Navy and RFC/RAF casualties were 39,527
    Of which, from the British Isles were:704,803
    And from Canada, Australia, India and other places: 251,900
    Total British Army deaths on the Western Front:564,715 Of which, 32, 098 died of disease or injury
    Total British Army deaths on the Gallipoli Front:26,213
    Total British Army deaths on the other Fronts:365,375
    How many soldiers were wounded?

According to figures produced in the 1920's in the Official History of the Medical Services, total British Army wounded were as follows:

Total British Army wounded in action, plus other casualties (e.g. accidental): If a man was wounded twice he appears here twice: 2,272,998Royal Navy and RFC/RAF casualties were 16,862
    Proportion returned to duty:64%
    Proportion returned to duty but only for lines of communication, garrison or sedentery work:18%
    Proportion discharged as invalids:8%i.e. approximately 182,000
    Proportion died of wounds received:7%

Englishman.

• D8TA
    D8TA

Problem is?

U.S. has drastically changed since WW 2.

So in essence what Pr_Capone is stating is: Even though the U.S. has changed in to a monster, France still has an obligation to this "new" U.S. because of WW2?

Ah, no. Sorry, doesn't work out that way.

Countries change, for the better and for the worse....now that the U.S. has gone in to "imperilistic" mode, nobody owes them anything. Especially when a "new" U.S. is trying to make the entire world like themselves.

Let's break it down to a simple example:

60 years ago, I was a pretty decent young man. My neighbor and friend's house gets invaded and I take my family to go help defend and liberate his place, even some of my family dies in doing so. That's good right, no problem there. Very noble indeed.

Now it's the present. I've turned in to a greedy sorry son of a bitch and want the entire neighborhood to bend their knee to my will and perception. I've exploited various neighbors and friends for the past 60 years since that liberation, and I've even done some pretty dastardly deeds. I'm also being dishonest with my own household and family. I've taken a turn for the worse.

Now, does my friend owe me something from that event 60 years ago, even though I've turned in to a bully and crook?

Answer: No.

Wake up America, quit this "we are virgins with pristine honey pots, everybody in world 'owes' us and should be greatful because they can't exist without us" perception.

The U.S. can fall, and you know what? The earth will still rotate on it's axis, and the rest of the global community will function and continue just fine with out you.

• foreword
    foreword

nicely put....

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

As has been said, WW2 and the Iraqi war have nothing in common.

More Canadians died in Holland and the rest of europe than did Americans (although any death was a tragedy) but the Canadian government has stayed out of this fight too.

Iraq is about oil as has been proved in recent days when the American forces failed to secure the hospitals of Baghdad and all the government buildings from looting and arsen, but DID secure the ministry for OIL and the ministry of the INTERIOR.

France obviously aren't as white as white in all this, they had large deal with Iraq for oil but that doesn't excuse the US/BRITAIN attack on Iraq.

They have now secured 30% of the worlds oil supply...coincidence?

WW2 was a tragedy of immense proportions and the lessons of the past have not been learnt.

The US promised to help re-build Afganistan. How much money was set aside to help? £0

I wonder if Iraq will get the same generous donation.

• foreword
    foreword

Where have all the cowboys gone?

• Realist
    Realist

D8TA,

U.S. has drastically changed since WW 2.

no it hasn't. it served its interest back than and it does it now.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Englishman, great info posted.

Wars are indeed not pretty, regardless of who the good/bad guy is. People get killed. Soldiers, civilians and many other creatures.

Canada participated in World War 2, a full 3 years ahead of the US. We are paulty in comparison: population, troops that served, but in a comparitive ratio, we lost a lot of men and women. Our population was pretty small, so most of our founding citizens, were lost, including some of my relatives.

Sidenote, then the colony of Newfoundland, now part of Canada since 1949, sent many men and women in the war effort: WW1 and WW2.

The US participated as well.

But it was a GROUP effort in the long run. The Nazis and Japanese were defeated as a result of combined group effort. Canada and many other nations were involved in the Pacific theatre as well.

As for Iraq, as I expected, Canada will probably go over and help with UN peacekeeping efforts (RCMP too, from what I have read/heard). This is not surprising. It is what we've been known for globally for many years. Part of our UN peacekeeping iniatives. (Lester B. Pearson's contribution to the UN)

Pr_Capone buddy, the pics posted are undeniably tributes to fallen American soldiers. I can assure you that there are many French citizens who make great efforts to remember these men/women who died there.

But one has to remember: there are other nationals buried in the nearby cemeteries. Not the effort of 1 nation, but many.

Thanks Englishman, great contribution to this thread. Shines some light on 'other' nations' efforts.

If anyone gets a chance, read up on the Aussie's/Kiwi's battle of Gallipoli. Now there was a slaughter of unprecidented proportions.

Lest we forget.

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

Thank you E-man. I completely agree with you. I will point out that this post was made by an American and completely from an American Soldier's point of view.

I in no way intended to detract from what other countries did/have done/or do. Something completely and totaly from an American standpoint.

I do know that MANY others, fathers and sons of thousands, gave their lives as well. Again, I apologize and hope that everyone realized that I did not mean to detract from what other/your country has done.

PFC Granell

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Thanks Pr_Capone, I knew you'd acknowledge the efforts of 'others.

You'll make a great addition to your post/position by recognizing other countries armed service contributions.

Take care, and be safe. We're thinking of you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit