Do You Remember the Day of Your Baptism?

by minimus 50 Replies latest jw friends

• rocketman
    rocketman

Yeah, right, "the most important day of your life" - but indeed, that's what they call it.

Anyway, I do remember it, even though it was almost 30 yrs ago. 8 from my congregation were baptized.

After the dip and getting dressed, a brother saw me and said "welcome to Jehovah's organization". I recall thinking, gee, I thought I was already a part of it. Guess not.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I remember it was the happiest day of my life ( I thought) there were 13 baptized on the 13th ? It was in a swimming pool- The year was 1963 . The day I was disfellowshipped in 1987 I thought it was the saddest day of my life. Boy how can I always be so wrong DAH !!!! I now realized it is visa versa

The happiest was when I was Df -------the most distructive day of my life was the 13th 1963

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, I do, it was over 30 years ago. My father controlled the purse strings and so there was no money for the whole family to be there at the baptism. I went with other family and they paid my way. I was baptized at an international assembly with over 600 other people, without family or people from my congregation there to see me. I have no pictures, no happy faces congratulating me. I had made a decision to serve God though not an organization. It is probably why I never fit in. I always wanted a Bible reason for the human-imposed rules or I would not follow them.

I'm sorry for those I influenced to join JWs. But I know that if their heart is the right place, eventually their eyes will open up

Blondie

• sandy
    sandy

I know I was 13 when I was baptized and it was some time in 1990. I cannot remember the exact month or day.

I didn't feel anything special either. No doves flying over my head.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

I was baptized on St. Patricks day in 1984, in St. Louis Missouri. I had Thunder out in the audience pulling for me and I was very excited, when I came out after fixing my hair (of course) I have a pic of me in a nice suite skirt and jacket griining to beat the band. Thunder took me aside got down on one knee and asked me to marry him (since I had proposed the first night we met this was just a gesture)So he gave me my engagement ring and we pissed EVERYONE off LOL

• minimus
    minimus

Some candidates in the old days were not told what to wear for baptisms. Young sisters sometimes would find a brother right after their plunge, especially if they were wearing a little 2 piece.

• MoeJoJoJo
    MoeJoJoJo

Sheila, a friend of mine got engaged to her boyfriend the day of her baptism as well, it was after the session during dinner tho. She was eighteen.

I think this must happen quite often.

• logansrun
    logansrun

September 5, 1992. I was fifteen years old and scared to death of getting a woody under my shorts in front of thousands of sisters....(I didn't)

Bradley

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

October 26, 1991...I was 12. I agree with Pr_Capone...that was much too young. My father and I got baptized together. I did it to please my mother. Like most of you posted, I thought I'd see something beautiful. But after I was baptized, I got a bad feeling in my gut that I'd made a horrible mistake. 11 years later, thankfully my father and I don't believe a word of that bullsh*t.

• DarkWolf
    DarkWolf

If I could go back and take it back I would do it in a heartbeat.

No Kidding. I was 16 years old, and kept waiting until I felt it was the right time. I was starting to have friends who's parents wouldn't allow them to talk to me anymore because I wasn't baptised yet. My mother hit me with "you know you can't get married until you've been baptised at least a year" and you know thats all a sister really has to look forward to. But the kicker was my dad promising to buy me a car if I got baptised, so I could pioneer of course. So, It became the right time.

I was baptised by a brother who I had looked up to all my life, and that the was the best part of it. I got no presents, my family didn't make a big deal out of it, and I felt pretty rotten about the whole thing. My D/A sister had tried to warn me before hand. She told me that once I got baptised, they would have a say so in everyhting I did from that day on, but I wanted that car, so I didn't listen.

Later, even the one happy thing about that day was ruined when I learned that the afore mentioned brother had been caught for having sex with the wives of his bible studies. He was never disfellowshipped though, and is still an elder. Go figure.

BTW, I didn't mean to highlight this whole post and I can't figure out how to make it go away. Sorry if I gave anyone a headache.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit