[SYN] is Irish!!!

by SYN 15 Replies latest jw friends

• SYN
    SYN

This weekend a close relative got married, so I went along to the service, chafing at the bit the whole time I was in the church (Dutch Reformed, if it makes any difference). As usual, I could feel myself getting subliminally drawn into what the Pastor was talking about, although you could say I disagreed with him on some fundamental points, but Yours Truly kept quiet as he was sitting next to his grandfather Anyway, to get to the point, when we were having a good old South African barbecue, I was summarily informed by a certain relative that I am indeed 50% Irish in descent!!!

How can that be???

Personally I always thought I was 100% Dutch. As far as I was told, all my relatives left the Netherlands because they felt too battened down and sexually repressed there This comes as a shocking revelation. I've never felt anything on St. Patrick's Day, although I do dig redheads.

Sheesh. I'm going to have to start acquiring some 3-leaved-clover-embellished items!

On a more somber note, as I was walking into my guarded, gated apartment complex yesterday, guess who came walking towards me? A pack of Pioneers! 5 of them! Normally I carry on and walk straight through the gate down to my flat, but the instant I saw them some part of my lower cortex said "NOPE" and I found myself doing some serious Michael Jackson footwork to change my direction. LOL. They were probably wondering if I was trying out for a dancing competition or something. Worse, they ended up following me. Damn, where are my UN/SilentLambs notes when I need them? Thankfully they didn't come to my door, which is good, because I only wear boxers and socks when I'm at home.

However, I know they'll be back soon, as my suburb is relatively small, and apartment complexes are popular joints for Pioneers to work in the late afternoons when they are bored and don't feel like walking far. If they knock on my door, they will get FAR more than they bargained for! *rubs hands in an evil way*

Anyway, hope y'all are doing well, gotta run!
    Regards,
    [SYN]

PS. The last bit of Dubbies Part 2 is on the way!

• Vivamus
    Vivamus
    As far as I was told, all my relatives left the Netherlands because they felt too battened down and sexually repressed there

*Chokes*

LMAO, yeah right, sexually repressed in Masterdam, the Capital City of Sin?

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

SYN well 50% is better than nothing ! I'll guess you'll have to change your avatar now.

xjw_b12 of the " always had a weakness for redheads class "

• Dansk
    Dansk

And what's wrong with being 50% Irish?!

From another 50 percenter,

Dansk

• Matty
    Matty

The people who make out that Ireland is awash with redheads have clearly never been to Ireland - a more typical Irish look would be much darker hair, often black. The Corrs I would say look very typically Irish.

• greven
    greven

SYN you keep cracking me up!

50% Irish! Now you have to start working on yer accent eh?

As far as I was told, all my relatives left the Netherlands because they felt too battened down and sexually repressed there

LOL!

Have you ever visited Holland BTW?

May [enter your favorite diety here] have mercy upon the souls of those battened pioneers!

Greven

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    The people who make out that Ireland is awash with redheads have clearly never been to Ireland - a more typical Irish look would be much darker hair, often black.

We're not a nation of redheads but we certainly have more than the international average, and it seems that a lot of Irish men, whatever their hair colour have some red in their beard or sideburns (myself included). Black hair is relatively rare. A nondescript medium brown is probably the most common colour.

The Corrs I would say look very typically Irish.

Yeah, I wish!

• shera
    shera

Well,I wanted to add..shera here,is just about all Irish.I have a little dutch in me all well.

I have the pale ,freckley skin to match too.

(Had to add)

On a more somber note, as I was walking into my guarded, gated apartment complex yesterday, guess who came walking towards me? A pack of Pioneers! 5 of them! Normally I carry on and walk straight through the gate down to my flat, but the instant I saw them some part of my lower cortex said "NOPE" and I found myself doing some serious Michael Jackson footwork to change my direction. LOL. They were probably wondering if I was trying out for a dancing competition or something. Worse, they ended up following me. Damn, where are my UN/SilentLambs notes when I need them? Thankfully they didn't come to my door, which is good, because I only wear boxers and socks when I'm at home
    Picturing that in my mind made me LOL!
  • Matty
    Matty

Well, you should know FD! I guess as there has been many invasions of cultures over the thousands of years of Irish history there would be many different types of people but some more prevalent than others - I just noticed that most of the Irish people I know are quite dark haired. You can't count Terry Wogan of course because his hair is the colour of the nylon it was made from!

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

SYN

If you have ever read anything or know a bit about the beautiful late Audrey Hepburn, her background is similar:

50% Dutch and 50% Irish

I remember her being interviewed on television some time ago, where she talked about moving to the Nederlands as a young girl, seated in a Dutch classroom, speaking her Irish-inflected English, and the kids all laughing at this girl with a funny language.

Not a bad mix.

Sounds pretty nifty to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit