Can You Believe it's Been 10 Years Since the Waco Seige?

by Robdar 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Mac
    Mac

Ro

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

It's a shame that child molesting monster can't be resurrected and killed again, but slower.

We are like sheep without a shepherd
    We don't know how to be alone
    So we wander 'round this desert
    And wind up following the wrong gods home

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Mac wrote:

Ro
    Ro
    Ro

Ummm

your boat?

Andee

• Mac
    Mac

...............gently down the stream, merrily , merrily , merrily , merrily, life is but a dream!!

mac

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

........Which also makes it Eight years since the Oklahoma City Bombing, which was motivated by the disaster at Waco.

I saw a documentary about Waco a few years back, and I do have to say this: as wacky as the beliefs were of the Branch Davidians, I saw some disturbing similarities in their eschatology with JW beliefs. And, why not? They both come from the same roots of Adventism. A charismatic leader, a group of people desperately looking for a better world, a bunch of Bible prophecy gobbledegook: sounds very familiar indeed.

The surviving members of the siege, when interviewed, sounded very credible in their testimony of what was happening inside the compound, and how they were being dealt with by the Feds. They spoke of broken promises and deliberate antagonism. Relatives of the members talked about how eager the FBI tactical teams seemed to be to storm the place. (They didn't get all dressed up and come out all that way for nothing!) Meanwhile, all the gov't officials, in interviews and in congressional testimony, looked like deer trapped in headlights. ("Fum fum, uh, splutter, We followed all proper procedure, ahem, we had reports of abuse, er, guns and ammo, these guys were dangerous!")

These days, I believe absolutely nothing coming from the FBI press office about this incident, or any other. The FBI has this great rep, but it's all been self generated. I think it's an inept bureaucracy, albeit a gun carrying one, which makes it all the more scary.

And lets also not forget that the ATF played their part as well. They went in like a bunch of Elliot Ness Untouchables, and stirred up this hornet's nest to begin with, and then dumped it in the FBI's lap.

If this had been handled differently, if the agencies involved hadn't been playing to the media to justify their existence, this wouldn't have happened. And, not only would the children in that siege be ten years older today, but the children at the Murrah Building, along with the other 160+ victims two years later, might still be alive today as well.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Texas Monthly has an interesting story about it this month...very good read.

• Granny Linda
    Granny Linda

Captain, thanks for your post.

And what was the government mouthing..."Save the Children." Right!

granny

• Granny Linda
    Granny Linda

Tres, can you post the article or link?

thanks, granny

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Granny Linda,

Here's the link - you'll have to register to see it but it's free.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/mag/issues/2003-04-01/index.php

I have the magazine. Lots of interesting photos of the Branch Davidian complex today.

TresHappy

• Robdar
    Robdar

It's a shame that child molesting monster can't be resurrected and killed again, but slower.

Amen 6, Koresh and the parents who allowed him to do what he did.

If this had been handled differently, if the agencies involved hadn't been playing to the media to justify their existence, this wouldn't have happened. And, not only would the children in that siege be ten years older today

Captain, my thoughts exactly. Whereas some of the things happening in that compound were completely wrong and the adults should have stood trial, the government agencies should have handled it differently. It's a blot on American history that makes me ill to this day.

Granny Linda,

I got your email. You were right about the yada, yada, yada which is why I am glad that we now have each other's email addys. I will write back later today. Thanks.

Tres Happy,

Thanks for the url.

Thanks everybody for posting.

Love,

Robyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit