Memorial anyone?

by basics-for-me 28 Replies latest jw friends

• basics-for-me
    basics-for-me

Anyone got plans to attend the memorial?

I am going again this year. Not out of duty or for anyone else but for myself. Last year I went and was glad that I did as I felt a sense of deep gratification as to the decision that I made not to be like the rest of them.

Last year, my attendance there reinforced my determination that I no longer wanted or needed their influence in my life.

This year I hope that I have past the milestone that marks my need of desiring any reaction or otherwise from them. I aim to be totally congruent with myself and will view the whole experience as a learning one. I probably won't need to be there anymore after this event.

Any thoughts anybody?

• rebel
    rebel

basics,

Do you attend any other meetings during the week, or is this just a one off?

I don't want to go tomorrow, but my husband asks me every 15 minutes or so, just to see if I have changed my mind. I would go just to keep the peace, but I really can't face all those people, all the falseness and hypocrisy again. If I were to go, I would probably get so nervous, I would throw up before, during and after the event!

Why do you feel you need to go? I am not being critical - I think it is good to go if you feel it is right. I am just curious.

xxR

• JH
    JH

Being inactive, the elders found it more important to try to visit me in march to try to get me back, that to come and see me in april to invite me to the memorial.

So the way I see it, the elders listen more to the Watchtower society than to Jesus. Because if they would have listened to Jesus they would have invited me to the memorial.

Shame on them.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I wouldn't want to contribute to their precious statistics gathering. Unless of course, it would be to add to their count of the anointed class.

No use letting good wine go to waste.

• basics-for-me
    basics-for-me

Rebel,

The memorial is the only meeting that I have attended in two and something years! I think I know what you mean about the falseness and hypocrisy, yet rather than making me feel sick, I rejoice inside to know that I have moved on from that.

You asked me" why I feel the need to go". I suppose if I were to answer that in all honesty, the truth would be that...............I think that in some ways, I lost my identity whilst hiding under the guise of being a witness. Since leaving them it has been my constant goal to truly "find myself" again and in some measure that has been a success.

I am the type of person that likes to be able to measure distances. I want to know how far I've come since I left all of that shit behind. It gives me a rewarding sensation to know that, the further away from their reality, the closer I am to mine.

Bay64me.

• Mum
    Mum

I don't go to the memorial. I did go to an assembly once, and the talks were all about how "safe" the poor, scared, deluded JW's were within the organization and "encouragement" to hang on to that poor excuse for a security blanket called "the organization." This was in the 1980's. I've rarely seen the inside of a KH since. I would go to the memorial, but I won't go alone. I would pretend to be a visitor from another state or another country if I went.

Rebel: So glad to see you posting. Please e-mail me at [email protected]. Sorry I didn't get to see you in London.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

I think the "Memorial" is nothing more than the equivalent of a "black mass", I mean, its a sacrilege.

"Lets get together and make a parody of the Last Supper where we pass around the bread and wine but don't drink it or eat it"....

Jesus told us plainly to eat and drink the bread and wine.

For Jehovahs Witnesses to do EXACTLY the opposite is sacreligious - why don't they just get a picture of Jesus and have everyone in the hall take a dump on it - because thats exactly what they are doing to the meaning of Jesus sacrifice.

Why would anyone want to share in a black mass? Read Rev 18:4 :"Get of her my people." If you are serious about showing respect to Jesus better to find a Christian church or better still make the ceremony in your own home..

Pope

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I was invited but I think I will

clean the litter box

or

scrape grout from the shower tiles

or

sand carpet glue off the hallway floor

or

clean last year's dead leaves out of the yard

I'm sure I will find something more interesting than a non-celebration

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

This will be the last year I attend the memorial.

• crownboy
    crownboy

Yup, I'll be attending the memorial with my family, but I'm more looking foward to the "going out after the memorial" part, of course.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit