Wierd KH property arrangement

by Simon 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

My wife's congregation recently bought some land to build a new KH on it but then signed over the ownership to an offshore company controlled by the WTB&TS. They were told that it would make it harder to 'grab' when 'the persecution begins'.
    Has anyone else heard anything like this?
    It sounds like a way of getting real-estate to me and from what I've heard, sounds a bit dodgy.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

The thing I can't figure out, is aren't the Governments supposed to bring down false religion first, and then attack us?

It almost seems to be taking place in reverse these days, and when the final "persecution begins" as you said, of what benefit is property anyway?

Path

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

This is the first I've heard of something like this. I know that the WTS does use certain wealthy brothers to buy parcels of land for assembly halls and then turn it over to them afterwards. They do this especially in areas where the municipalities would not approve of the sale because they know they will not be getting taxes from the Society.
    But this is sort of the reverse. The congregation has to buy the land and building and then give it to the WTS. Why would they want it? They certainly don't contribute to its upkeep.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• waiting
    waiting

There was a post on H20 three days ago started by Randy Watters with this question: According to recent reports (none proved so far), the WTBTS is no longer charging any interest on loans to the local congregations for buy/building new KH.

A lot of replies were made, but all on the following theme: Well, it's about time the WTBTS stopped charging interest - this will make them look less like a business to countries where they want to stay a tax-free religion.

That may be true - but here's my devious thinking:
    Kent Steinhaug (?)of the infamous Watchtower Observer site, answered my question about the selling of KH some time ago. And he was very nice. He told me about a situation in Texas some years back. The local congregation decided to break away from the WTBTS and wrote them thus. They told the Society that the local cong. owned the land/building - therefore, they could break away and take same with them.

Society sued - Court decided that WTBTS and local cong. were to share same KH. The WTBTS decided they did not want to share with these Watchtower rebels. The WTBTS bought land & built another KH on another site.

I was privy to know intimate details of the local sale of our KH several years back. The deed, which I have a copy of, for our land/building listed all the local elders signing for the congregation. Over a quarter of a million value. They sold and bought other land/building - much more valuable. I do not know if now the cong. is the sole owner of the land/building.

My take on all this is: It would be a expedient business move on the part of the WTBTS to give interest free loans to the local cong. to buy land and build new, nicer, KH. And, as this beginning post commented, get the WTBTS's name on the title.

What would this achieve?
    1. WTBTS would not be earning interest - thus their reputation would look more religious like.
    2. The local cong. would be more willing to go to the tremendous expense and effort of building a new & improved KH, even if they already had a sufficient one. Which is the situation our local cong. was in.
    3. Because the local cong. received a loving interest-free loan from the WTBTS, it would be hard to refuse allowing the WTBTS to have their names on the deed.
    4.WTBTS would have an edge against any local cong. who wished to rebel and take their land/building with them.
    5. WTBTS would become a Big Land Owner - fast. And BTW, with new, nicer, higher value land/buildings, tax free.

The WTBTS would then really be like other religions - Land Owners. Doesn't this sound like a valid business plan? I certainly think so.

waiting

• Dubby
    Dubby

The WT Society seems waaaayyyy too interested in real estate. Look at their history. Russell, Rutherford(Beth Sarim) all the way to the present. I think it's true. JW lawyers and realtors run the Society now.

"Enjoy God's creation, ride a dirt bike!"

• waiting
    waiting

Randy Watters also gave me the names of several men who were familiar with the Texas court case. However, I was new to the web, etc. and did not keep the names and numbers.

Kent Steinhaug said that the Texas papers were on the web, but I'm not familiar with the site. Anyone else heard anything more?

• waiting
    waiting

The congregation was in Bonham, Texas. According to Kent, 3 elders led the "rebellion."

Also, according to him, the Society uses "holding companies" to buy property now - so this won't happen again.

• Xandit
    Xandit

Not true. The property is held by the local congation(s) either by a corporation or board of trustees.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey, Xandit,

My wife's congregation recently bought some land to build a new KH on it but then signed over the ownership to an offshore company controlled by the WTB&TS. They were told that it would make it harder to 'grab' when 'the persecution begins'.

, the Society uses "holding companies" to buy property now - so this won't happen again.

I know that the WTS does use certain wealthy brothers to buy parcels of land for assembly halls and then turn it over to them afterwards. They do this especially in areas where the municipalities would not approve of the sale because they know they will not be getting taxes from the Society.

And your comment:

Not true. The property is held by the local congation(s) either by a corporation or board of trustees.

Which comment is not true? I had to quess at your thoughts since you did not clarify them. Please include your source for your disagreement.

I'll be glad to post your source so that Randy Watters and Kent Steinhaug will have better information. Also, are you saying that the elders in Simon's wife's congregation mislead her congregation?

Since Simon, Frenchy, and I have now heard, on what we thought were good sources of information different viewpoints, I'm sure we'll all look forward to seeing further clarification from you.

Thanks, waiting

• Jokemyster
    Jokemyster

your wifes cong?????not yours also??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit