good books?

by free will 27 Replies latest jw friends

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Back in the '70's I got bit by the reading bug when I read my first ever novel, "The Thorn Birds" by Colleen McCullough. It was the beginning of my reading non JW publications.

I became an avid reader of Victoria Holt and have pretty much read all her books, my all time favorite one by her is "Confessions of a Queen". I also love Agatha Christie books. Another book I really got a lot out of was Norman Vencent Peale's book "The Power of Positive Thinking".

My latest reads have been;

"The Places That Scare You" by, Pema Chodron

"It's Not About The Bike" by, Lance Armstrong

"Miles From Nowhere" by, Barbara Savage

My library consist of so many self help books it looks like the library of an abnormal phycholigist. I read self help books constantly, it's an obsession with me.

Oh right now I'm on the last chapter of "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" by Richard Bach.......great read I recomend it highly! Craig just got another one of Bach's books today, "Ilusions". I can't wait to read it!

Katie (of the so many books, so little time class)

• aarque
    aarque

"The Joy of Sects" by Peter Occhiograsso...a study of religious traditions

"Spring Moon" by Bette Bao Lord...a fictionalized account of the history of China in the 20th century as seen through the eyes and experiences of one woman

Anything by true crime writer Ann Rule...who also happened to be a co-worker of Ted Bundy

"Gone with the Wind" by Margaret Mitchell...need I say more?

"Nine Parts of Desire" by Geraldine Brooks... the life of Islamic women...this is scary...

Last, but not least-- my favorite books from childhood:

"Black Beauty" by Anna Sewell and

"Norman the Doorman" by Don Freeman...the story of a mouse who entered a wire sculpture in a contest at an art museum

• free will
    free will

thanks for sharing! there are a lot of interesting stories out there. i'm not sure if it's good or bad that i don't recognize most titles. i've neglected my reading, but, it's never to late to start.

• Aztec
    Aztec

"Jude the Obscure" by Thomas Hardy. Kind of depressing, but it made me understand the futility of life and reinforced my resolve to do something about it. ~Aztec

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

'The Adventures Of Caleb Williams, Or Things As They Are', by William Godwin.

While justice is an elusive hope, this book helps a person to climb the peaks of injustice and see a new and quite beautiful landscape from a new vantage. Williams, a dedicated atheist and a contemporary of Jane Austen was better known for his anarchistic political views than his novels, but find a quiet corner and read this book. It will alter your thinking in ways that you might not have imagined.

• dobby
    dobby

Lately I've been obsessed with John Irving - read The World According to Garp. It's not spiritual by any means but it's soo good, twisted, funny, sad, unbelievably ridiculous and very human. It's now one of my favorite books.

She's Come Undone by Wallie Lamb is also very good. So is a book called Where the Heart Is (can't think of the author). Amy Tan is a great writer too. For mysteries I LOVE Ruth Rendall. But To Kill a Mockingbird is probably my favorite of all times.

And don't forget to read the Harry Potter books! They ROCK!

• dobby
    dobby

Lately I've been obsessed with John Irving - read The World According to Garp. It's not spiritual by any means but it's soo good, twisted, funny, sad, unbelievably ridiculous and very human. It's now one of my favorite books.

She's Come Undone by Wallie Lamb is also very good. So is a book called Where the Heart Is (can't think of the author). Amy Tan is a great writer too. For mysteries I LOVE Ruth Rendall. But To Kill a Mockingbird is probably my favorite of all times.

And don't forget to read the Harry Potter books! They ROCK!

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams..would not have met my husband had I not read this book.

Job: A Comedy of Justice by Robert Heilin...it really changed me way of thinking...would not have read this book if I had not met my husband.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit