American -vs- European travelers

by Seven 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

I think *we* drive on the wrong-side of the road as nearly everywhere we go (N.America and Europe) people drive on the opposite side.

Thankfully, I'm good at adjusting quickly and only get into the passenger side (wondering where the steering wheel went) a few times each trip.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I've got a weird confession to make! I find it natural to walk on the right-hand side of the footpath. I find this especially so whenever I've returned to Oz from overseas. I wonder why that is?

Cheers, Ozzie

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

Did you know the percentage of US passport holders is only something like 15% Amazing isnt it.

I think it is for a number of reasons - 1 is that america has as I suggested before the world of america, everything you could want is there, for example if you live in Ny and want a beach holiday - you go to California, and so on. I think people think they got all they want and need there, its just a shame as here in the UK we have so much to offer.

2. The old nutshell of a ridiculous ammount of holiday you get - something like a week, we get so much more here in europe.

3. Airfares, it is so so much more cheaper for us to go anywhere, I can fly to NY for £180 ($240) yet it will cost the average American almost double. We can also get really cheap deals to europe or even fly to places in europe for pittance, there are hundreds of offers out there to go to Rome for £27 ($34).

This is why I think that you guys choose to just stay at home.

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

Hey StinkyPantz - I'm 24 too! May I ask what your work involves? I'd love to do more traveling and would like a job with the freedoms you mentioned (I'm in career hell).....

• Realist
    Realist

Hello Spunky,

VERY NICE PICTURES!!! the ones from spain are really fantastic!

i live in Salzburg...about 2 hour away from Reutte.

• Valis
    Valis
    We have the Grand Canyon, the Colorado Rockies, New York, New Orleans, Washington D.C. the California coastline, New England, The Florida Keys, Las Vegas. There is something for everyone here to see no matter what your interests are.

Um...don't forget your number one vacation spot...eheh

The other thing too is that our world is really becoming the globe that never sleeps and some of us are more fortunate than others when it comes to working something that resembles 9-5...For most people there is no such thing as a normal work week...Most people work so much that they end up losing vacation days the have accrued...Like my room mate..he could take off for 5 or 6 months with all his vacation days he has never used..I think most people lose days each year when they don't take them, which I think is a rip off and just companies taking something from you that you have rightfully gained and worked for.

I would love to travel more and I'm trying to arrange my schedule this summer or maybe the fall to hop across the pond. As well, I could spend my whole life exploring North and South America and I would be perfectly happy, although my desire lies in travelling as far as I can possibly go ever..eh the world is my district!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

Realist - Salzburg, wasn't that the home of the famous Mozart?

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

SpunkyChick-

I am a waitress. I make around $500 a week, which isn't spectacular, but it's nice and flexible while I'm in college.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

I am glad I travelled as much as I did, years ago. I used to have an excellent paying job (which I detested) and eventually quit as a result.

I have travelled extensively in North America. I have been to the UK and Europe, and Southeast Asia.

Travelling is a great way of grounding yourself and seeing things from a different perspective.

As a Canadian, travelling into the US these days is expensive due to the high exchange rate.

Flying overseas is possible, but airline prices can be/are a bit ridiculous.

So...as a result, I stay here in Canada. I don't have to worry about my dollar exchange, and it's generally pretty safe and there's plenty to see. Afterall, we're the second largest country in the world, albeit not too many people. More critters than people.

If and when anyone can travel, please do it. You'll have a neverending source of enjoyment to draw from when speaking with others, and it will certainly enlighten you.

I wish I could travel extensively again, but for now, I have to remain put.

If it's possible, I hope I can get to Green Bay, Wisconsin for their Apostatefest. We'll see how things go. Wish me luck.

• LDH
    LDH

7of9

Great post. Also puts an end to the "lazy American" argument. Which companies like Ford and GM found out rather quickly, heh heh heh, when they moved south of the border.

The Mexicans talked smack about getting "good paying factory jobs" and the US auto makers talked smack about "the lower production costs" heh heh heh. It seems they forgot about the culture of the Mexicans with daily siestas and every thing being on "manana time" (damn I can't get the tilde ~ to work).

Anyhow, the US auto makers have been burnt and are now in the process of relocating their factories inside the US borders where they have a good, reliable work force.

I just started a new job three months ago and I have 23 paid days a year. I negotiated for more than the standard of 18, though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit