did you go to college? before/during/after wts? what is your profession?

by nowisee 40 Replies latest jw friends

• nowisee
    nowisee

thanks to all who answered me. i found all of the stories to be interesting and many quite inspiring.

thank you again, larc.

thank you again, mystery/deborah, for your understanding, encouragement and insight.

thank you, carmel, for helping to bring to consciousness what was there just beneath the surface, undiscovered until your comments. you have given me the gift of knowing where i need to continue to do work.

strangely enough, i am in a profession that allows me to earn $l25(+/-) per hour, and this fairly lucrative work allows me also to work in an in-home studio doing something creative which i love and at which i earn substantial but less money overall. between my two occupations i am kept quite busy. but, you see, this apparently was not about money - it was about self-worth.

so, finally, bebu, thank you so so much for your loving answer, for giving me a reality check, and for reminding me of what is really important. i have enjoyed your posts as well and look forward to knowing you better.

and if anyone else would like to share his/her story, please do!

• Francois
    Francois

Just a comment to the people here who have no post-secondary education and feel ashamed about it. Don't.

I was in school for 17 years. I have a double major in journalism and speech & drama, plus 30 years experience. And I can truly and honestly say that the most important class I ever took in any institution of learning anywhere was typing in the eleventh grade. Yep. Typing. I don't remember a damn thing about all that other stuff. So don't feel bad. Go take a typing course and you'll be right up there with the rest of us.

francois

• nowisee
    nowisee

thank you francois.

my hs business courses have served me well too, particularly typing as you probably can tell!

• DJ
    DJ

Nowisee,

I had the same kind of dad that you did. Besides the dub mentality about higher education, he is also Italian......lol, women belong in the kitchen!! I'm grateful that I learned to cook and come from a long line of chef's BUT you need money to eat. My first husband suffered severe brain damage and I had to take over the bread winning role. I went to school at night and became a certified paralegal in the state of PA. It is of little use to me now though. I would like to tell you that Carmel is rude quite often and you should pay him no attention. He especially doesn't like folks with a Christian view. Stand tall nowisee, you have no need to explain yourself to anyone here. Love, dj

• DJ
    DJ

Ahem.....$125 per hour. Not bad at all.....That trade school was the smartest thing you could have done, eh? What do you do? That's a large chunck of change. and I thought I was a big shot when my hubby grossed $100,000. That's chump change compared to you. Way to go! Use it in good health and share with the poor. You are blessed, nowisee.

• bebu
    bebu

Thanks, nowisee! It's nice to finally make a direct connection with you.

bebu

• wednesday
    wednesday
    experience. And I can truly and honestly say that the most important class I ever took in any institution of learning anywhere was typing in the eleventh grade. Yep. Typing. I don't remember a damn thing about all that other stuff. So don't feel bad. Go take a typing course and you'll be right up there with the rest of us.

francois

lol

my downfall, i hate typing and anything that smacks of anything technical.

Despite my poor typing, i have an AD in arts (i have 2 years basic college at a community college) i also obtained a degree a medical area.One has to know where our talents are. I knew early on, i would never be a secretary (can't even spell it). But i could TALK. So i looked at my options and said"if u smell shite, there is probably a pony in the barn" So i found my pony. I worked for a long time, but now due to helath, am as u say, retired early.

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

Hey Francois,

I have a double major in journalism and speech & drama, plus 30 years experience.

How was drama school? I adore the theater and performing...would you recommend taking some courses in it?

• qadreena
    qadreena

I was in secondry school during being with the JW's

I was brought up JW so on leaving school got a part-time job and did pioneer hours (wasnt baptised)

Upon leaving the witnesses, I left my job and didn't work for quite a few years

It's only recently I have settled down and started my own business with no college or further education, I was partying too much LOL

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I work at a local college and I have run into several JW's from my past taking classes. One of the part-time instructors in my area went to my Kingdom Hall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit