did you go to college? before/during/after wts? what is your profession?

by nowisee 40 Replies latest jw friends

• nowisee
  • rocketman
    rocketman

No college at all. My wife goes now, and my daughter will be in another year or so, so I can't really afford yet another tuition.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I went during and after.

I have a BS in Business Management.

I went to law school for a year and ended up getting a paralegal certificate.

I am now self-employed as a web designer.

• Brummie
    Brummie

My proffesion right now is keyworking adults with Autism and challanging behaviour. I am just finishing college with an advanced certificate in Client Centred Counselling. I did enroll to go to college years ago as a JW but conscience wouldnt allow it after the Convention talk about "polishing the brass on a sinking ship". I've almost made up for lost time

Brummie

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Definitely AFTER.

I studied Nursing for a period of time (1992 - 1994) - by 3rd semester, I didn't like it, but I FINISHED the course got all my papers finished, and passed, with honours in the last semester.

I did take some night courses for my own general interests.

Now I serve liquor and beer to the world.

But...at least I like my job.

• blondie
    blondie

My family life was too chaotic when I graduated from HS. Since then I have working toward a degree in journalism, based on funds available and working full-time. The Society is more accepting of voch/tech schools because they feel JWs will avoid the world's philosophy and evolution. Not! I recommend going to school just to expand your knowledge and experience and for the sheer fun of learning.

Blondie

• freedom96
    freedom96

No college here. Don't plan to. Hard worker, now have 3 businesses.

• mustang
    mustang

This will get a "fast-blast" of the Mustang story

As I started the "slow fade", I went to some night school at the local Community College. I piled on the Computer Science courses, while doing "Hardware oriented" Technical work.

And I did get the proverbial SHEPHERDING CALLs for "pursuing higher education". So did 2 other "brothers"; one had been told by his JW boss to get some Accounting training for his secular job

The "guilt trip" card was played to the hilt. So, I back slid on finishing school.

I moved away from my home state and got a job in the Aerospace industry. My heavy Electronics experience got me past the "you didn't finish school" syndrome. The Computer Sci classes really kicked in at the right time. The normal "Hardware" work I was assigned suddenly had to have Computer Interfaces: I became a Hardware/Software "crossover", a real "double threat".

Now I was totally on my own, thousands of miles from "home" and struggling, so the job became foremost. But, I took what school was directly related to the job at hand. I advanced quite nicely.

I also had carried out the "slow fade" after 1 long distance move, 3 local moves and the master stroke of GOING ONTO NIGHT SHIFT FOR MORE MONEY!!!!!

Later, I moved once again to another state. This really screwed all the local connections to the JW's up; that is, except for my father, who tried to reestablish them, against my wishes.

Anyway, by now I had achieved the title of ENGINEER, even though I was non-degreed. It got harder and harder to go back to school (lost momentum) and I was advancing successfully without having finished, anyway.

So, here I am: a Senior Engineer, with partial school, making a decent to excellent wage and DOING SOMETHING THAT I REALLY WANT TO DO. All of this is NO THANKS TO JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES and with little help or encouragement FROM FAMILY OR FRIENDS.

So what is the Mustang story/name all about???

I discovered a bit of military trivia: historically, in the USMC (United States Marine Corp) an Enlisted Man who advanced to Officer status WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE FORMAL CHANNELS was known as a MUSTANG!!!

Mustang

Living Well is the Best Revenge Class

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

I got my GED when I was 16 years old and moved out as soon as I turned 17. I made some bad decisions and ended up in a really really bad relationship.Every time I enrolled in college( about 3 times) it only lasted for a few months....my fiancee was very controllling ....made it hell for me (in a nut shell).

I had a chance to work with a great Company in the Bay Area...The interveiwer wanted to hire me....she said I had a great personality and she knew I was more that capable of doing the work but I just did'nt have that piece of paper.

I have friends that have degrees and I make more money than them, I manage a small communications company now and sometimes I work as a bartender ( my friend owns a bar) I make sometimes 30-40 dollars an hour ...thats counting tips..not bad...getting paid to hang out and have a good time.

I love to learn and...I hope to be able to go back to college soon ( my life is just too hecktic right now)

• NaruNaruChan
    NaruNaruChan

Currently in college as an art history major, graduating next year, and I currently am employed as a relay operator for the deaf, hard of hearing, and speech disabled. ^_^

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit