tKingdom Melodies I remember/liked.

by ScoobySnax 33 Replies latest jw friends

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Oops, to the above post, should have said the song was played at "many a JW WEDDING ceremony."

• Gopher
    Gopher

Larc,

"Take Sides With Jehovah" is alive and unchanged since you last heard it.

"The Sword of the Lord and Gideon" -- I believe they kept the melody but they changed the lyrics entirely, to "Preach this good news far and wide, bla bla bla, take your stand on God's side, and thus aid great and small on God's grand name to call, and (in the place of "the sword of the Lord and of Gideon) thus lead to his vindication (or something to that effect)." I guess they thought the lyrics were too "Babylonish", so they turned it into a preaching song, if you can believe it. And this was for the 1966 songbook, and it survived into the 1984 "Sing Praises to Jehovah" edition.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Ed, you said

"I liked that one with the really heavy evil-sounding piano accompaniment:

See yonder through the breadth of earth
    The sight my heart entrances !!!!!
    Jehovah's band of warriors
    In unity advances !!!!!

Can't remember the title of it."

I believe the title (awkward sounding though it is) is "Recognizing Earth's New King". That title arises from the lyrics stolen from the book of Psalms "kiss the son lest God be angry and you perish in the way...happy are they that put their trust in him today".

• Matty
    Matty

The song "Preach This Good News of the Kingdom" in the 1966 songbook goes:

"And thus aid great and small on God's grand name to call"

And the same song in the 1984 songbook goes:

"And thus help great and small on God's grand name to call"

I can only imagine that the reason for the word change was the paranoia surrounding the word "aids" in that in the 80's it had by then become the name of a disease that "bad" people get, I can't think of any other reason - if that's true then that's just plain silly!

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Scoobz...you're drunk

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

I don't remember the name of it (was it "Brothers Dwelling in Unity???")

Started out:
    How PLEA-sant to see BRO-thers, All DWELL in u-ni-TY...

anyway...the tune of that particular phrase was the "looney tunes" song...seriously! Some of us used to just bust a gut trying to keep from laughing (and being "untheocratic") during that song!

One sister I knew refused to get married in the hall because she hated Kingdom Melodies and refused to have Shulamite maiden played at her wedding!

• Gopher
    Gopher

Asleif,

Since you liked the JW tune about Dwelling Together in Unity, how about listening to Farkel's take on this song? It's hilarious:

Dwelling Together In Love and Unity

• berylblue
    berylblue

Keep Your Eyes on the Prize

and

Walking in Integrity

• Huxley
    Huxley

The marriage song..."Marriage, god's arrangement"(?)

You can sing it to the tune of The Muppet Show, and the lyrics fit perfectly.

Huxley

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

There was one I liked, it started "There is a book that by its many pages, brings peace and joy and hope to humankind...." It was towards the end of the pink book.

And another I liked was about Jesus, can't recall the name now, it wasn't sung that often, and I guess its been well and truly kicked out now, seeing how "Jesus" is Personae non Gratie in JW Lore these days. It often was sung only around memorial time.

Hey wasn't it funny when every now and then they'd pick a song that rarely got sung and hardly anyone knew it, except maybe for one or 2 d**kheads who then tried to show off by trying to "lead" the others. And all these drones singing alone behind, out of rhythm and out of tune.

Who do you think was behind the selection of which were "kosher" songs and which weren't? Why did some get sung so often,. and others hardly got a go at all?

Pope

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit