Happy about having been a JW?

by Brummie 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• Skeptic
    Skeptic
    Are you happy to have been a JW? Is there a constructive side in it all for you? Or do you wish you had never seen their culty smiles?

Thanks for starting this thread, Brummie. It is good to look at the bright side of being a JW, for more balance.

I wish I had never been a JW, and believe my life would be so much better if I hadn't. I consider the JWs to be a dangerous religion.

That said, every cloud does have a silver lining. Here are some good things that resulted from me being a JW:

They taught me public speaking skills. The Theocratic Ministry Guidebook is the best book I have ever seen for public speaking. Knowing how to publicly speaking has been life-changing. It has helped my career and my relationships tremendously.

Field service taught me how to make call colds. This helps me make cold call for career reasons, or when helping a charity. It is amazing how many people will not knock on a door even to ask directions.

Because of the JWs and their bible-reading schedule, I have read the Bible cover to cover at least 3 times (it only takes 10-15 minutes a day for a year and a half). Since I don't have much use for the Bible, I don't know why I appreciate this, but I do.

The JWs gave me a better knowledge of the Bible than most religions do. Unfortunately, they don't give an indepth knowledge of the Bible. The Book of Daniel is much less mysterious when one takes its verses in context. The Skeptical Review is great for such understanding. Of course, when one gets the sense of much of the OT, one finds that a lot of the Bible is just human thoughts. But, I digress.

A co-worker taught me to never be ashamed of being a JW and being who I am. That was an invaluable life lesson.

I learned what it is like to be on the receiving end of prejudice.

Though the demands of my career and of being a JW were not healthy, they combined to make me very organized when I set my mind to it. It is amazing what a person can do when they set their mind to it.

Because of being a JW I learned that it is vital that I think for myself, make my own decisions, and set my own moral standards. And the importance of not giving in to social pressures. And that just because someone is in a position of authority or has a level of expertise...and I don't...they can still be dead wrong.

If I hadn't been a JW, it would have been much longer before I learned that rules are good as guidelines and not as divine mandates. Every situation is unique, and what is a good rule 99% of the time should not be applied 100% of the time.

Even now I am still learning that I have things in my lifestyle that are still attached to the WTower but they are harmless (I think) and can be stripped off in the way someone would pick a cobwed off their clothes!

Same here. I anticipated that, and as far as I can tell, I have removed the harmful elements.

Richard

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

[Removed test posting now that I have figured out how to edit.]

Richard

• nightwarrior
    nightwarrior

Brummie a good thread - (oh I have gone bold)...

Me (Mrs NW) I was brought up a JW, so I can understand the school thing, about not going into assemblies, and not attending the school discos, and generally feeling left out of the 'social' whirl. I did make some good friends in the org, but I have learnt that friendships from JWs are fickle..

I am able to talk to people from all walks of life, and I am not shy, I put this down to going on the doors, and not knowing what is behind the door.

I did benefit from the moral standards instilled into me, because it laid a good foundation for me in later life. I developed a deep love for my Creator. I learnt how to study and research, which is good.

Plus the fact I met NW, so some good came out of it LOL.

Also, the children have all grown up with a 'spiritual' background which is not such a bad thing. But we have allowed them to choose. All four of them can see religion for what it really is, but all four still love Jehovah, but feel that it comes from the heart to worship him, and not to be told by some old man what to do, and what to say.

BUT, since leaving the org, I am now able to look at them and realise the depth in which the teachings that were instilled in me, and the 'qualities' have actually allowed me to see the deep fissures in the teachings, hence I have been able to research to a greater depth and see them with warts and all.

It has been a long time in coming, but worth the wait.

Mrs Nightwarrior

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I don't know if "happy" describes my feelings towards my JW tenure. When I was 22 I was lost without a map. JW's provided what I needed. I'm glad to be out now, and I wish that I didn't have the family background & genetically inherited tendencies that made me such easy prey. But I learned a lot from the experience, and I think that becoming involved in a high-control group or relationship was inevitable for me, so I'm not bitter at all. Geesh, here I am 10 years down the road from that poor decision I made, a decision that I, at the time, was SO convinced was 1000% the right thing to do. Now I look back and what can I do but laugh at my naivete.

For those who grew up in it, I can understand the bad feelings and the resounding "NO's" in response to this question. So many never had a choice in the matter. Fortunately I haven't suffered the same sort of consequences that many do when they leave the cult.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Brummie this is a good question, I had to think about it and for me as with all the elements that make me who I am, I am glad I lived through this one as well. I've nearly been killed a half dozen times so far in my 48 years and each time I overcome some trauma I emerge changed. Being a J-dud is part of that process. I do admit I like who I am now a lot better than when I was a company man. And even thought I suffered greatly being married to a bi-polar 'truthbaby' for 15 years I have my daughter. Regrets, plenty. Would I do things different, perhaps. Am I sorry, no. But I do want to help others out of that mess if I can. Thank you for helping me call these feeling to mind. Maverick

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Brummie..... I'll always be grateful for being raised JW as I was. The JW part of me was and still remains the "warm" part of me. I know it sounds "sickly" and sorry, but thats the way it is. I have moved on so much now, I'm not sure what is just "right" for me nowdays, but don't think I'll ever be able to knock the JWs for the person I've become. I am not a JW and far from it, but I still hold them close to me in this place of mine. LOL I'm still Scott though. Kate Bush....Running up that Hill....... ;-)

• gold_morning
    gold_morning

I am glad that I was. I can now see that God can take things and work it out for his good.

I never would have been as proficient at scripture. Mostly, if it wasn't for being disillusioned by the Watchtower I never would have searched and found Jesus as my savior. I can't imagine not being born again in Christ.

There was truth there too. Not everything taught was wrong. They had the wrong Jesus of scripture.....but much was learned bibically also.

I have come out a more compassionate person.....with a free mind.....and an understanding of unconditional love for the experience. I now have peace.

I have also come out with the real salvation and everlasting life that comes from knowing Jesus Christ.

gold_morning

• tazmaniac
    tazmaniac

I have many negative memories but quite a few positives too. As nowisee said...public speaking is no problem. Standing in front of 300 employees to give some information is really nothing in comparison to spending 45 mins in front of 3500 at the Circuit assembly or over 8000 at the district assy. I know of many strong friendships I had and the sacrifices that they or I would make for one another. What a beautiful dream it was while it lasted. I know depression was rampant in our circuit. At least they stopped viewing it as spiritual weakness. Well...thats my two cents......another 23 cents and I can make a call on a payphone....lol. Cheers, Taz

• nowisee
    nowisee

so, tazmaniac, you have spoken at circuit and district assemblies??

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Like most who were raised in it and didn`t have a choice,I`m not happy about having that crap force fed to me..Ask a dub about 1975 now and they`ll look at you like they don`t know what your talking about..Years of learning all that bullshit and it`s irrevelent now,even to dubs....People who make a choice to join,usually don`t seem "as" affected by the religion.They had a life before....People born into it literally have to start a new life,and the information you were given at the Kingdom Hall dosen`t mean a dam thing in the outside world...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit