Supposing I Want To Go To An Assembly?

by Englishman 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Supposing I Want To Go To An Assembly?

I just park my car, wander in, sit down after I've taken a look around, listen for a while, go and get a cuppa tea (I know they don't supply food anymore BTW) and stroll out if it all becomes too much.

That's right, isn't it?

Englishman.

• SYN
    SYN

Correct. It's also important that you have yourself examined by a qualified psychiatrist before you visit the Convention venue, as wanting to go to one of these is a well-known symptom of insanity and/or Dubness. Erm, enjoy it?

• blondie
    blondie

As long as you blend in. No shirts with slogans will keep security away. You can take a bite and something to drink with you.

Blondie

• Englishman
    Englishman

SYN,

Anyone who visits a psychiatrist should have their head examined IMHO.

Actually, my Q is very sincere!

I read somewhere - umm..possibly a KM..that dubs have to check in when they go to an assembly nowadays.

So..do you need a visa or summfink?

Info perleeze!

Englishman.

• Matty
    Matty

You don't need to check in - a lapel badge is helpful but not essential! Cardiff Convention is at the magnificent Millennium Stadium on the 18th, 19th & 20th July BTW.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

E-man when I went last summer that is exactly what I did. I dressed to look like one of them right down to the large book bag. I sat and listened and made notes - can't believe I used to swallow that stuff and wasn't tempted one little bit to fall back into believing that stuff.

I also happened to have with me a handful or two of business cards with a silentlambs message on it that I "dropped" all over the place. It was easy to leave them on tables and seats as we wandered through the crowd.

We were never stopped or followed as far as we could tell. And we left a few more cards in the parking lot as we drove off

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

It's not quite that simple, Eman.

Firstly, you'll need to wear the "uniform". In your case, that'll mean a suit and tie. Remember them??!!

Secondly, you'll need to have something in your hand that identifies you as a "desirable" person, say, a briefcase or a Bible (i.e. NWT) and songbook.

As a footnote, the convention administration has a security department (separate from the Attendants department) which, where possible, uses live cameras to monitor the audience in the auditorium. Any male not wearing "the unform" is identied and is carefully watched. One of the security attendants will be assigned to keep a close watch on such a person, perhaps by sitting alongside, or very close, to him.

So, mate, be warned!

Cheers, Ozzie

Freedom means not having to wear a tie.

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

I've gone to assemblies around NYC, which are quite easy to get into. Just make sure it's not the one that any of your former congregations are assigned to attend. I've even managed to get a copy of the new releases at pioneer rates (or free), without lying. I attended with my parents when the proclaimers book was released a few years ago. They made an announcement that only those who had been in the fulltime service for x number of years could get one, and my parents were disappointed that they couldn't get one. I surprised and embarrassed them by saying "Well I qualify and I'll try to get you one too." Technically I did qualify, because, even as a long-time apostate, I still had the required number of years of full-time service. I talked them into giving me one for my mom, who almost qualified. (By focusing on her and her congregation first, they didn't care about mine.) My mother buried her head in shame, but she kept the book.

I think we need the literature more than they do, I actually read it. In fact the first thing I did is see how they managed to completely erase R.Franz, Greenlees and Chitte from their history. Depending on my mood, I can either get a good cry out of it or a good laugh out of it.

Gamaliel

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    In fact the first thing I did is see how they managed to completely erase R.Franz, Greenlees and Chitte from their history.

A noteworthy point, and one which I hope lurkers and even Dubs reading this secretly, will take note of. Thanks for bringing it up.

Cheers, Ozzie

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

wish i was there english - i'd dust off the uniform i bought to scare bathory (black suit, white shirt black tie) and come with ya. yep take a new world transmission and songbook, preferably black. (my old maroon one looked a bit out of place) I never had a songbook, so pinched one when no one was looking*

( you're english - you shouldn't have any trouble with that manouver

I don't know where you plan getting a cuppa from (you got tetly on tap over there i suppose? lol) funny thing about the bookbags - at the Sydney Superbowl - when "smoko" came everyone around me opened there's and out came thermos's sandwiches etc... one bloke even pulled out two plastic bowls of steaming spaggetti! lol.

unc who never used his bookbag for earthly refreshments

warning: you might need to restrain yourself from standing up and yelling BULLSHIT!!!

*I sent the former owner a lovely apostate postcard though, with an invitation to visit us internuts :) (Horst -a poor country lad from Lightning Ridge Congregation - stood out in his brown jacket in that sea of black suits)

:::

edit - i've changed my mind - please take gumby instead hehee...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit