Why Ray Franz? A very theoretical proposal

by logansrun 18 Replies latest jw friends

• logansrun
    logansrun

Ever wonder why more members of the GB don't wise up and make waves like Ray Franz did? Sure, most probably know that there are serious deficiencies with the Society, but why did Ray Franz in particular go the extra mile of leaving the organization altogether and writing against it? I have a pet theory I will relate:

The GB operates in a way in which the status quo is preserved. Only people who will assuredly "toe the company line" are ever going to make it to the top. Ray Franz even relates this in CoC (in fact, it is primarily the more prominant voices on the GB that get "their man" into the supreme council). With a situation like that, it is little wonder that most GB members will have nothing to do with prompting sweeping changes or wising up and exiting such a ridiculous group. But, Ray Franz was different. Here is where my hypothesis comes in.

What if Ray Franz was elected to the GB based on his name more than his personality and devotion to the status quo? What if being the nephew of the most respected JW on the planet was the primary reason, even if unconsciously so, for his being nominated to the Body? This would mean that he was the only one who would have become a GB member in this fashion...meaning : he didn't have to be the "company man" to get in. If he got in through nepotism (to no fault of his own) he wouldn't necessarily have gone through the winnowing process like everybody else. He might have been of completely different mindset (obviously so) and, hence, saw through it all and eventually left.

I just find all of this rather ironic. I could be dead wrong, of course, but it's fun to speculate (god, I am getting over my JW mindset!).

Bradley

• teejay
    teejay
    Ever wonder why more members of the GB don't wise up and make waves like Ray Franz did? Sure, most probably know that there are serious deficiencies with the Society, but why did Ray Franz in particular go the extra mile of leaving the organization altogether and writing against it?

Um.... I dunno. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he was... um... disfellowshipped?

A huge majority of people who leave any cult—and many of us who post here—did so after some life-altering event. Ray was no different.

Don't get me wrong. I like Ray. If I was in the market for a hero, he’d be on the list. Still, he left the Organization because he was forced out. If it weren’t for that, he’d still be connected to the group. I’ll go a step further and say that if it weren’t for a couple of those kinds of events, I would still be right amongst the jehovahs my own self. I have no doubt about either of those statements.

• minimus
    minimus

I agree that Ray got a head's up on the competition because he was the nephew of Freddy. Ray was villified and treated like excrement when he left, only to be disfellowshipped. He lost EVERYTHING. Now, that's a little warning to any of the other older defectors that if they don't tow the line, they'll recieve the same fate.They have a choice. It's either agree and live very comfortably and recieve adoration for the rest of your life or disagree and have NO ONE ever talk to you again. Get kicked out in disgrace.,,,,,Most people would opt to close their eyes and recieve preferential treatment, imo.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12
    Don't get me wrong. I like Ray. If I was in the market for a hero, he’d be on the list. Still, he left the Organization because he was forced out. If it weren’t for that, he’d still be connected to the group. I’ll go a step further and say that if it weren’t for a couple of those kinds of events, I would still be right amongst the jehovahs my own self. I have no doubt about either of those statements

TJ very well put. The WBTS is their own worst enemy. To those of us who don't enjoy being abused.

But irregardless, Ray's humble words have done so much to help jw's see the reality of the prison cell they were mentally confined to, and have inspired countless others to take up the cause.

xjw_b12

• manon
    manon

This is my theory and spin, after reading CoC I was left with this impression. Uncle Fred giveth and uncle Fred taketh away.

Ray Franz draws a clear picture almost a map in my mind as to where the truth can be found and documented about all WTBTS procedures and policies regarding organizational matters.

{In the minutes of every governing body session}.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Hello logansrun,

We have not spoken before, but that is probably my fault for not being more communicative. Your comment "(god, I am getting over my JW mindset!)." is most commendable. Have fun while you explore this freedom.

I will address a few points of your post that I find logical but will add a few points that may cast a slightly different light on your proposal.

Back in the 60's when Ray Franz was invited to come 'out of the field' to Brooklyn Bethel the "Governing Body" did not exist as it does today. Nathan H. Knorr was THE governing body back then. It appears that Ray caught Knorr's attention as a writer while serving as branch overseer in PR. While it would seem likely that Freddie would have put in a good word for a relative I doubt that happened. Knorr was very much in touch first of all with all missionaries (the program was his baby) but was also the BOSS of all branch offices and their overseer's.

Add the above to the fact that Freddie was not a political Player as so many others in administration were, it is very unlikely in my mind that Fred Franz would have promoted a relative.

As you know from reading C of C the Presidency toppled as a result of the Aid Book research done by Ray Franz. During this development it appears Fred was absorbed with other duties and research. That was Fred's thing. If Ray's life and Watchtower carrier was at all affected by Freddie I would suspect that Ray was INSPIRED by the image he grew up with of his uncle Fred: the scholar, Bible researcher, Bethel lifer, single, single minded, free spirited seeker of truth. By the time he saw his uncle from a different viewpoint Ray surely had more important realities to face up to.

Back then your did not need to be so much an Organization man to progress as it is today. You needed to be devoted, self-sacrificing and obedient to the President. It may be hard for some to see a difference but believe me, the organization HAS evolved in the last 30 years. What we see today is partly a side affect of the Thinking revolution that took place in the 70's at Bethel that was abruptly ended in the early 80's by the paranoid GB.

I suspect Fred Franz had as much to do with Ray's invitation to the Bethel, the writing staff and subsequent appointment to the GB as he actively protected Ray from the witch hunt that ousted Ray from the GB and Bethel. NADA!

Just my view of the history.

Jst2laws

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

I good JW Elder friend called me last night to say Hi…He commented that the Legal Department is pretty much running the WT now……very telling……

• one
    one

jst2laws

• one
    one

jst2laws ,

Ditto

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I think that having the last name of Franz certainly didn't do anything to hinder Ray's upward climb in the org.

But as anybody who has read CofC knows, Ray is an excellent writer, and a very smart man. So he may have risen pretty high even if he hadn't been related to Freddie. Hard to say.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit