Which are you? Emotional or Intellectual?

by Yizuman 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

It falls into the same pattern

People who help an anonymous person begging = good decent Christians

People who don't help an anonymous person begging = evil vile atheists

Categorization and all or nothing thinking has been evident with that particular poster since his first post here. But maybe I am just being emotionally intellectual about the whole thing.

Uzzah

• be wise
    be wise

It all is very confusing. I mean, especially if you try and apply this argument to the war. The question that really bothers me comes down to an emotional one in the end and that is what has been the cause of death for the British soldiers and innocents who have lost their lives and the extent to which this affects their families.

I don't really have a big problem on why America invaded Iraq, I mean if it was because of money, so what. Bush will have a pocket full of money but Saddam and his regime will be gone, that's a good thing but if this is the only reason why people have died for Bush’s Empire it's a very unnecessary one and puts a knot in my stomach. Although, in the long run, it will benefit more people. Don’t get me wrong on this one I also think with my head and after a lot of thought I can only conclude that there was a good enough reason for war [if you can call it that] but was this the reason why it was fought in the first place and still is being fought. Or have people been dying for money rather than freedom.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Im an extremely emotional person , often I cry in the car on the way to work while thinking about something or recalling something. I also weep profusely watching movies. However I attempt not to show emotion on line. I dont believe in giving anyone an edge he might be able to use. Especially not an invisible stranger on the other end of an electronic network.

• hippikon
    hippikon
    I cry in the car on the way to work

Me too - My tee Shirt says - I used up all my sick days so I called in dead

• Carmel
    Carmel

Dam, this dichotomous thinking reminds me of the old "saved vs unsaved" argument. All the world is either black or white, us and them, good guys and bad guys. Sorry, but in my tome, a well trained mind has both emotional maturity and locical capacity.

All water is dirty unless it is holy!

carmel

• happysunshine
    happysunshine

Why did everyone jump on this guys head? Is there something I don't know?

Anyway, I think I know what you're getting at. But I too think that catagorization is limiting. When you get down to it, I think 'logic' and 'emotion' are inseperable- perhaps the same thing in a way. For example, being pro-war because Saddam is an international threat, or a wrong dictator could be described as a 'logical' argument. However, the experience of the concept 'threat' or 'wrong' is ultimately an 'emotional' reaction. If it was purely a 'mathamatical' or 'logical' issue, there would be no motivation to act. Conversly, the 'emotional' reaction (ie stop killing babies!) is in essence based on 'logic' , perhaps the concept that killing there will lower the quality of my life here in some 'logical' way.

Anyway, I'm a loosley organized hairball of factoids and non-sequitters. Mabey a philosophy major can help me out here? -J

• Eric
    Eric

Gameliel,

Excellent dismantling of the Black/White, Pro/Con nonsense thinking I see so often here.

Excellent post.

Eric

• berylblue
    berylblue

Well, I guess my answer is apparent in the fact that the OP was way too cerebral for me to read....just got me pissed off....lol

EMOTIONAL

Rosemarie

• tdogg
    tdogg

Oh sure Gameleil, go ahead and use your "facts" and "statistics" to confuse the issue. You probably believe everything those "scholars" and "scientists" say as well. You and your false god of "data". I wish "you people" would go away so "us people" can indulge in our stereotypical thinking.

I

• tdogg
    tdogg

Oh sure Gameleil, go ahead and use your "facts" and "statistics" to confuse the issue. You probably believe everything those "scholars" and "scientists" say as well. You and your false god of "data". I wish "you people" would go away so "us people" can indulge in our stereotypical thinking.

I have

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit