Which are you? Emotional or Intellectual?

by Yizuman 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

After observing the two sides arguing about the war with Iraq, I have come to see 2 kinds of groups, not just the argument from Conservatives and Liberals, but from those who think with either from their intellectual or emotional standpoints.....

From the emotional standpoints who oppose the war, which I would call the "Oprah Thinkers", these are the group of people who think with their emotional part of the brain rather than the intellectual part of the brain. The Oprah Thinkers likes to cry alot and dab their eyes with a hankerchef. They get outraged when a human being regardless of their background (good or evil) gets killed for whatever reason it may be.

Then there are those who support the war, which I would call the "Spock Thinkers", who think from the intellectual part of the brain rather than from the emotional part of the brain. They do not allow their emotions rule over the logical part of the brain, no matter how overwelming the emotions may be. They think and analyze everything first before coming to a logical conclusion. Of course, we're not Vulcans, therefore we do feel emotions despite the fact that the Spock character is half human. But they are careful (or at least try to be) not to make any rash thinking that could very well result a "insert foot in mouth" situation.

So my fellow readers, which one are you? Can you truly be honest with yourself as to how you think of yourself?

Curiously yours,

Yizuman

• Scully
    Scully

Interesting that you of all people should bring up this topic.

It's also interesting that some people think it's ok to appeal to others' "emotional standpoint" or the "Oprah thinkers" as you like to call them, when it is to their personal advantage to do so, and lash out at the more rational minds who call their intent into question.

On the one hand, when it works to the individual's advantage, it's ok to make those kinds of appeals, but when we're talking about other things - like the war in Iraq that has no impact on said individual's personal situation - it's ok to slam the "Oprah thinkers" who operate from an "emotional standpoint". In my books, that's called hypocrisy.

By the way.... have you found a job yet?

Love, Scully

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Let me get this straight Yiz, I have to be one or the other, not both? I can't be me, right?

Guest 77

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Wow Yizu,

Your understanding and mastery of the human psyche and your simplistic categorization of which groups all people fall into is leaving me quite speechless.

Dana

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Dana:

Don't be emotional.

Expatbrit (too late I have a head start.....)

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

'Pat,

Darn, I can't play with you right now Tag, you're it....

Dana

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Dana: Alright, I'll go and look up "materialist".

Yizuman: I don't think you can classify anti and pro-war groupings that simply. There are emotional arguments both against (the war will kill innocents) and for (the Iraqi regime kills innocents and must be removed) the war.

There are also intellectual arguments both against (the war will lead to international instability) and for (the war will provide an opportunity for moderation in an extreme region) the war.

Personally, I am pro the war, but opinion on it cannot be so easily grouped, as "emotional" v. "intellectual".

Expatbrit

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

Interesting. I thought it was just the opposite. I have always worried about my INability to become too emotionally involved in anything. Yet for purely intellectual reasons, I oppose this war (not war in general). In fact, I believe that most people who study history oppose this war. I believe the level of education and background people have in historical, political and social issues is directly related to the percent of people who oppose the war. So far, even on this very forum, the people who have made the most pro-war statements seem to have the least understanding of Kurds, Iraqis, al-Qaeda, Islam.

How many pro-war people on this forum know why Al-Qaeda and Osama bin Laden refers to Saddam as The Infidel?

Political polarization is very high right now, and it's difficult to make much of the attempts to publicize pro-war or anti-war sentiments. Democratic leaders have already "unpolarized" because the smart ones know better than to speak out against war when we are in the midst of it, even if they dead set against it 5 minutes before. There's a voice that comes out of academia and Hollywood that tends to favor an anti-Republican stance. Many in business are republican and there are well educated people in both categories. I was interested in how well the last two attempts to get a huge pro-war rally out of Long Island, NY would go. Long Island, NY is primarily Republican with a base nearly as large as Manhattan's Democrats. I believe they were able to get about 1,500 to their rally in NYC, even though the anti-war rally drew hundreds of thousands, and, if all the permits had been issued, it could easily have been over 1,000,000 as it was in most large cities throughout the world. Republicans were truly embarrassed, and it showed in the partisan flyers both before the NYC rally and the flyers and advertisements to promote a secondary followup pro-war rally last week on Long Island proper. (That one barely drew 200 people). Still the Long Island news sources treated it as if it showed that pro-war folks had an "equal" voice. Pathetic.

I do believe that in areas where the demographic is less educated, more Democrats and Republicans both will show themselves to be pro-war.

I have access to education demographics for advertising purposes, and I think anyone else can get them with just a little effort. It is easy to show from them that the "The Rush Limbaugh" type demographic which many pro-war pro-Republican talk radio hosts will go for, is not the prime "educated" business market but is known consistently to attract less educated, less intellectual buyers. Advertisers tweak their messages accordingly.

I used to do statistical analysis of demographic data from the US Census which we would then relate to surveys or other databases. I'm wondering what other people who have done these surveys for sociological research or advertising would think.

I wouldn't know for sure, but I'd bet that in general your hypothesis works out quite differently in real life.

Gamaliel

• rocketman
    rocketman

What, no happy medium between Oprah and Spock?

• Robdar
    Robdar

"You can't talk to a psycho like a normal human being."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit