Jehovah’s Witnesses Sue Owners of FaithLeaks for Posting 74 Convention Movies

by AndersonsInfo 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

After some thought...

...I suspect that they simply don't want their stuff being repurposed in a way that mocks them ('cause let's face it, Deafsturbation never gets old), or have the footage used in a manner that successfully deconstructs (and therefore undermines) WT ideology and authority.

Having the material available solely on their terms would (theoretically) prevent that.

I could be wrong.

• Corney
    Corney

In case you want to support Truth and Transparency Foundation (aka FaithLeaks) in this legal battle, here is their fundraiser: https://charity.gofundme.com/o/en/campaign/defend-press-freedom-from-religious-censorship

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

The Society wants to portray things in a favorable light.

If you have a turd and present it as fertilizer, it is good.

If you have a turd and present it as shit, it is bad.

All the same turd.

They just want to control the presentation.

• Corney
    Corney

In case you are not aware, Truth and Transparency Foundation aka FaithLeaks has surrendered to Watchtower, has deleted all JW files from its site, and is settling the case. Perhaps they were unable to raise enough funds or find a pro bono lawyer. It's difficult to blame them for this decision, except they probably could be more prudent from the beginning. The bad thing is that they aren't transparent on what they're going to do with the raised funds. I hope eventually this issue will be fixed.

• careful
    careful

Thanks, Corney, for the update. Sad news though.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Does this mean there’s no longer an online source for all the literature, elders manuals, letters, and so on? That’s a huge loss, if so. I haven’t used it recently, but it was excellent to be able to find practically all the literature online, including the secret stuff.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

This is terrible. I was hoping to read all the Watchtower magazines from the 1940s and 50s in sequence. (I am a masochist) The yearbooks too. I just took it for granted they would always be available online.

Is there no place to get all the old literature online anymore? I have been searching around and only finding bits and pieces.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    Is there no place to get all the old literature online anymore? I have been searching around and only finding bits and pieces.

Some years ago I bought a CD on Ebay called "Magazines that motivate". It contained scans of all the WT's up to 1950 plus other early works. There is also the website "Strictlygenteel" which has lots of old publications on line.

George

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Somewhere, in my Attic probably I have the first C.D's the WT produced under the "Watchtower Library" name, I think one of them goes back to the 1950's ? but does it contain everything, has it been edited and redacted from the original stuff that was in print ? that is the problem.

I wonder if the wealth of stuff that was on the Faithleaks Site could be made available to serious Scholars via a private Link or something ?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Strictlygenteel is good, but it misses a lot of things. It only has a couple of Golden Age magazines for example.

I really hope someone sets up a site to host the publications that are out of copyright at least. Access to pre-1950 Watchtowers, Golden Age magazines, Yearbooks, and the rest was invaluable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit