Jehovah’s Witnesses Sue Owners of FaithLeaks for Posting 74 Convention Movies

by AndersonsInfo 37 Replies latest jw friends

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/ip-law/jehovahs-witnesses-sue-faithleaks-owners-over-convention-videos

and

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2020/05/01/jehovahs-witnesses-sue-owners-of-faithleaks-for-posting-74-convention-movies/

The Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, which oversees the Jehovah’s Witnesses, is suing The Truth and Transparency Foundation and its founders Ryan C. McKnight and Ethan G. Dodge alleging copyright infringement.

• carla
    carla

Maybe they need to bounce it out of different countries and get multiple sites up? I have no clue how to do that but I think it can be done. Wasn't that done with the old 'Quotes' site for awhile?

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

You would think Jah appreciated the message getting out, maybe his spirit made it I happen cuz the JW's certainly aren't successful.

• Wakanda
    Wakanda

They need to start suing because Judge Cathy Seibell was asking why all the subpeonas and no suits?

• Wakanda
  • Listener
    Listener

What damages will they be claiming? Imagine having to tell the court how many JWs are leaving because of watching their own videos.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I do hope the Org fails with this, I wonder how strong their case may be. Surely these films were available to members of the Public to walk in and watch at the time they were shown. I would have thought that a breach of Copyright would have to be based upon the person publishing making a Profit out of it. But I am not a Lawyer. It would be great to see the Org lose, and to see Costs fully awarded to Faithleaks !

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

The weirdest thing about this is that - to the best of my knowledge - the Org doesn't even derive income from the videos... they're all posted on the JW-dot-org website for anyone to see.

How the hairy blue fuck do you justify suing for copyright infringement for stuff that you - for all intents and purposes - give away for free?

Remember about a year ago they did this?

They sued a YouTuber for (somehow) causing "irreparable damage"...

... with a stop-motion video...

...made with Legos (I am not making this up).

Honestly, sometimes I think the WT leadership really is losing its goddamned mind.

• Fadeaway1962
    Fadeaway1962

They will be claiming loss of donations not the people

• careful
    careful

Vidiot, "the Org doesn't even derive income from the videos"—maybe that's exactly the point. Now by suing someone else, could they be turning a money loser (it takes resources to make these) into a money winner (getting a monetary judgment)? They may be viewing this as their only opportunity to get some money for these assembly/convention videos, eh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit