JWs and Prepping

by TD 30 Replies latest jw friends

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Go bags are a government idea. Amd a good one

The rest is hubris, bible, wt for study etc. They don't want us to disappear like katrima dubs took advantage of.

Personally my predator solution is a .22 and 9mm ( Nato). A quiet crossbow or bow is probably a good idea.

• carla
    carla

My jw has a go bag and brings it with him every time he goes out of town. He once suggested maybe he should leave it for me, just in case. Keep in mind we do not speak of anything jw related anymore. I asked why? He said in case I needed it, he was trying to be the loving husband I suppose. I pointed to my very well stocked pantry and asked where am I going when I have all of this? so he grabbed it and went on his merry way. While I agree having provisions due to storms etc.. is a very good idea in general, the jw way of thinking is just nuts.

To begin with his (jw approved?) go bag has some sort of brick type "food" that will last a whole 3 days, came with like 2 water bottles and few other things that if you truly knew how to survive would be gone within 24 hours. Just to be helpful I told him a number of other things that would be helpful when it arrived. Guess I was in a humorous mood that day. Not only that but I think they suggest that you would bunker down a few days and then go wherever the government (not the gb or the borg) tells you to go for further survival.

I remember telling him that if the 'bomb' dropped I hope I would be smack dab in the middle of it as I remember the movies from grade school about radiation poisoning. He thought I was nuts. For those that don't fear death I can tell you it would be preferable to be gone in an instant than watching those you love slowly die of radiation.

He at times will still say 'they are coming to get me!" in a semi joking manner when we hear police sirens. sad if he actually thinks that.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    St GoE - will all be going to Chelmsford.

Of all the places in the country to go. I'd sooner jump into an active volcano covered in petrol. (Not sure if the volcano is covered in petrol or me...doesn't matter...continue).

Another glorious UK crap hole.

If I'm ever in Chelmsford and dying, I'll crawl by just using my hands to cross the border if I have to.

If they bring back concentration camps, Chelmsford is where they'd put 'em.

• llubrevlis2000
    llubrevlis2000

There is so much wrong info on these pages. I guess when you’ve been out for years you have no idea.

The go bags are a very good idea as well as all the planning in case of an unexpected crisis.

Of course first plan is to stay at home, but what if that’s not an option for some reason?

First option is anyone who needs to go to the KH. Beds can be set up and then make plans from there. If that’s not an option every cong has an emergency back up RV location.

Then the elders make plans and see who still has homes available to look after those who have lost theirs.

Going to Chelmsford is fake news but the branch do have emergency plans for all kinds of situations.

They are usually the first in with aid and the last out after rebuilding work.

it does no good spreading fake news

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Lube - Going to Chelmsford is fake news

Where is the 'fake news'?

No one said it was any sort of news.

If you re-read St GofE's comments, he was relating what an individual JW had said as their own opinion.

There is so much wrong info on these pages.

In your opinion. Like the JW that had an opinion about Chelmsford.

The go bags are a very good idea

I don't agree. That's my opinion. Others are free to differ.

Then the elders make plans and see who still has homes available to look after those who have lost theirs.

I'm beginning to think you're trolling us.

Who were you under a previous user ID on here?

• llubrevlis2000
    llubrevlis2000

Punk you don’t agree but don’t say your reasons?

why do you not agree that having go bags and plans in place is not a good idea?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

LLUBREVLIS2000:

There are some preppers who scoff at go-bags because they’d never be enough!

I think the idea of a go-bag is sensible especially if you live in an area that can have or is expecting a natural disaster. The problem though with a go-bag is that you may forget what’s in it and certain things have to be changed periodically like batteries, etc. After a while it may even be forgotten since in time people forget.. Also, nobody can maintain edge-of-your-seat anticipation for an indefinite period of time.

Some preppers feel that unless somebody has a destination that will be better than where they presently are - they will be nothing more than a glorified refugee. I also think some stupid JWs think this is going to be an Exodus.2 and miraculous things are going to occur - like the parting of the Red Sea.. Otherwise, just where the hell are they going?

• blondie
    blondie

Go-bags started after Hurricane Katrina 2006 after the WTS realized how woefully inept they were handling the ones whose homes were destroyed and no where to go, elder bodies who had no concept of what to do, elder bodies who did not have lists of members and contact info or if they did it was woefully out of date. Then jws were instructed in the KM (I think) to be prepared and what to do.

• TD
    TD

What prompted this thread was a JW acquaintance wanting help with a generator transfer switch, which (IMO) is pretty far beyond a basic bug out bag. This gentleman served in the air force before his JW days, so maybe that makes him an exception.

On the whole though, I think it's a far more responsible thing to encourage church members to take care of basic needs themselves (Like Joseph during the 7 years of famine) as opposed to the idea that they don't need to lift a finger because God will take care of them personally. Certainly God could do that if he chose to, but no human can know that before the fact and it's irresponsible to tell people otherwise,

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

I think JWs are now reminded once a year to all go through their go bags and replace all the long term food storage

all congregations are split into groups of around 20 people with a group overseer and an assistant

they are all really close as meet up a couple of times a week for ministry and gathering as well as meetings

they all have emergency RV places which is usually someone’s home and all get constant reminders about not being a burden on others but having a surplus to share.

JWs are one of the best prepared groups around. Always first in with aid after a disaster and last out after rebuilding work

THIS CURRENT BANKING CRISIS HAS HIGHLIGHTED THE NEED FOR REAL FRIENDS REAL SKILLS AND REAL ASSETS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit