Using the internet can destroy your Faith.

by James Mixon 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

One eyed joe: More exposure to other religions seems likely to make an atheist out of anyone as you can use the other religions as an analog for your own and discover the flaws in your own thinking.

Excellent comment Joe! Once I started curiously looking at other religious groups websites, such as the Mormons, I saw that for all the "nice" things presented, there are some really way out strange and outright stupid beliefs too!

Then, I simply applied the same technique of "analytical thinking" to the JW.borg site, and doctrines in general...and guess what? For all the nice things presented, there are also some really wacky things.....

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Excellent video. It's a good use of 15 minutes.

Essentially, if you can create such a widespread cultural belief in Santa Claus by children, that illustrates why children are the most ripe audience for teaching religion to.

The JWs need to drop the teaching that reserving childbearing for the new order is the most spiritual option if they want to survive. They should probably encourage childbearing to attempt to keep membership numbers up, although they lose two-thirds of their youth, too.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

''Using the internet can destroy your Faith.''

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but...

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

GrreatTeacher - "The JWs need to drop the teaching that reserving childbearing for the new order is the most spiritual option if they want to survive. They should probably encourage childbearing to attempt to keep membership numbers up, although they lose two-thirds of their youth, too.''

Like with the internet, the WTS would be slow out of the gate with that one, too.

The "Quiverfull" movement already has a major head start.

• Perry
    Perry
    This is my hope that technology is the true salvation of man

Secret Slave,

Scientism is every bit as much of a cult as the JW's. Be careful that you are not drilling out of one prison cell into another.

A study in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences reviewed 2,047 retractions of biomedical and life-sciences articles and found that just 21.3 percent stemmed from straightforward error,while 67.4 percent resulted from misconduct, including fraud or suspected fraud (43.4 percent) and plagiarism (9.8 percent) [3].
    Surveys of scientists have tried to gauge the extent of undiscovered misconduct. According to a 2009 meta-analysis of these surveys, about 2 percent of scientists admitted to having fabricated, falsified, or modified data or results at least once, and as many as a third confessed “a variety of other questionable research practices including ‘dropping data points based on a gut feeling,’ and ‘changing the design, methodology or results of a study in response to pressures from a funding source’ ” [4].
    As for why these practices are so prevalent, many scientists blame increased competition for academic jobs and research funding, combined with a “publish or perish” culture.

article

• Half banana
    Half banana
    Yes but the investigators of science here examined the retractions, not the papers which went forward. Scientific method through peer review no doubt exposes the small percentage of frauds. Religion however uses fantasy and the imagination and never looks to critical thinking to kerb the lofty ideas of paradise and heaven, things for which there can be never be proof.
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

One certainly doesn't have to be an Atheist in order to become a scientist.

Many simply acknowledge that the two institutions deal with different realms

of human experience. Science investigates the natural world, while religion

deals with the spiritual and supernatural. For me I like the idea investigating the

natural world, I have grown from believing in the supernatural.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

Perry

Secret Slave,
    Scientism is every bit as much of a cult as the JW's. Be careful that you are not drilling out of one prison cell into another.

I appreciate your concern Perry. However, unlike your religious ideology which has only one source to refer to for belief and not fact, there are thousands of scientific sources I can bounce my "search for facts sonar" off to the find the common denominator in question in order to draw an informed decision which is never a conclusion, unlike your factless ideology which has its conclusions set in concrete and refuses to adapt to new information or facts.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Since faith is better defined as "pretending to know what you do not know," I have to agree that if you use the internet properly, you will destroy your own pretending to know what you do not know and you will either learn differently or will realize that you do not "know" what you thought to be true based on your faith.

Yes, the internet destroys faith. And good riddance.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Perry'

Fair enough , you have presented evidence of scientists who have admitted questionable practices , even suspected fraud and plagiarism .

I believe science soon catches up with those who exploit it to the uninformed.

However , religious charlatans seem to get away with all there deceptions no end , with no convictions for fraud or taking advantage of a minor .for sexual gratification , oh so sorry in some instances yes. I`m thinking of the J.W.`s 1006 cases of child abuse over 65 years , 3 elders on a judicial committee , which equates to 3018 Elders who failed to report this abuse to either the Child protection authorities or the Police.

What is wrong with these people.

The Internet is helping people see the truth for what it is "the " , and to also distinguish the false from the true.

It`s the lazy person who accepts what they want to believe , instead of believing what the facts tell you.to believe.

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit