Can you be D/F in absentia?

by ScoobySnax 30 Replies latest jw friends

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

I've often wondered this. Since being inactive, I smoke and drink like a trouper, have gotten up to various sexual mis-endeavours (lol) and played up generally. I'm not all that proud of any of this, just the way my life has gone. I think I hit the slippery slope the minute I stopped going to the meetings, even though I still miss being "in" I am looking forward to going to the upcoming Memorial and summer convention,(honest I am, still don't want to close that avenue off completely) yet still I expect some one to come up to me and say, "eh Scott, didn't you know you were d/f etc etc" maybe its paranoia, but can this be done? or do they need to inform you first? I know I disagree with most on here on many issues, and maybe I'm a hypocrite, but was just wondering anyways.........Scott. (I'm not the good little Troll some try to box me in as!)

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

My father was DFd, in abstentia, for smoking.

My sister was DFd, in abstentia, for fornication.

You decide.

Then they DFd my mother after my sister. (Since reinstated)

I get the feeling that if I showed up for the memorial, I would be toast!

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Yikes Teenyuk....so my cards marked already then??

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Only if they catch you!

Edited to add:

They haven't caught me yet!!

• REALNESS
    REALNESS

scooby: I dont agree. Does anyone know of the things you have been up to?.

I would imagine that you would have least got a call to explain your actions and if you refused to go or cooperate you would be df in your absense or would have disassociated yourself by your actions.

R

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Use the SEARCH facility to find the stories of Bill Bowen, and Joe and Barbara Anderson, all of whom were disfellowshipped in absentia.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Scooby; from the elder's manual (pp. 120-2):

If the Decision Is to Disfellowship

Tell the guilty person the Scriptural reason(s) for the action.

Inform the wrongdoer that he may appeal in writing within seven days if he feels a serious error in judgment has occurred. (om p. 147; km 1/80 p. 4)

Outline steps necessary for future reinstatement.

Be positive, assuring him that forgiveness is possible if he truly repents; the person may be in a distressed state of mind.

If an appeal is lodged within the allotted time, no an nouncement is made pending the outcome of the appeal.

In the meantime the accused person will be restricted from commenting and praying at meetings or enjoying special privileges of service. (om pp. 147-8 )

If the accused lodges an appeal but then deliberately fails to appear for the appeal hearing, the disfellowshipping action should be announced after reasonable efforts to contact the individual have been made either in person or by telephone.

If an appeal is not made within seven days, announce the disfellowshipping.

Allow the seven-day appeal period to elapse even if the person states he does not wish to appeal.

The presiding overseer should check the announcement to make sure that it conforms to the guidelines outlined by the Society.

An elder, perhaps the chairman of the judicial committee, should read the announcement.

Disfellowshipping takes effect when the announcement is made to the congregation.

Using the forms provided by the Society, the branch office should be notified of the person's name, the Scrip tural reason for the disfellowshipping, and the date of the action. ( S-77 and S-79 forms )

A brief review of the evidence that was presented should also be given.

A similar report is made when a person disassociates himself from the organization. ( S-77 and S-79 forms )

A written summary of the case should be prepared by the committee and put in a sealed envelope to be placed in the congregation file.

If a disfellowshipped individual moves to a different area, no announcement of his disfellowshipped status

should be made from the platform of the new congrega tion.

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Thanks Nathan, but I haven't exactly wrote a book, or gone on a publicity tour about myself or JW issues!, ......not quite the same!!

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Thanks Craig (and Katie!)

I'll read that all again, looks like a no to me at the moment! Scott

• JWinSF
    JWinSF

Simple answer: Yes.

When I was an elder, there was an inactive sister who'd had a history of mental problems. She didn't stay on her medications and she'd often go off mentally. She also smoked.

The asshole CO said that it'd be a mark against the Congregation since others in the area probably knew that she was a JW. I thought that it was the most cold-hearted approach. But, being a numbskull Elder under the mind-influencing control of the WTBTS, I didn't speak up.

They went ahead and disfellowshipped her without her ever coming forth.

What a hypocritical Organization claiming that it is the representation of God's love. If that's love, I hope that I never come into contact with another form like it.

John W. Wirtanen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit