Did this happen by itself?

by JH 39 Replies latest jw friends

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

Good one Brian,

I loved your rant. I pretty much agreed with everything you said. Sounds like you are going through some of the same thought processes that I did when I left. I would have to say though that it is possible that a god created everything just to sit back and watch. When I was a kid I would create and environment in a glass jar and then put the red ants and the black ants together just to watch them fight to the death. Cruel? Yes. But human.

TimB

• Realist
    Realist

i would say nobody can deny the possibility that the universe was "created". however, as fascinating as pictures from the universe or the microcosm are the innate design flaws of our universe make it unlikely that it was created IMO.

• dubla
    dubla
    Natural processes can create some beautiful symetry ... just look at a snowflake.

perhaps a creator is actively involved in all natural processes?

aa

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    perhaps a creator is actively involved in all natural processes?

And perhaps elves are actively involved in the workings of an internal combustion engine, but it seems a pointless thing to postulate when it can be explained much more neatly without them.

• dubla
    dubla

lol@funky

• Francois
    Francois

Mercurious: "I often wondered why God seemed to have changed from a warrior type into a more laid back loving and kind type."

He didn't.

We grew up.

And so did our concept of who and what God really is.

francois

• dubla
    dubla

funky-

yes ive heard all the fairy tale type jokes and sarcastic responses whenever someone suggests creation, and they are indeed funny. no one can prove there is a creator, and no one can prove there isnt one, so it really becomes a pointless argument, and the creation side relies largely on faith which the other side discounts as preposterous. i have no problem with any of that, and personally i think the whole debate becomes laughable most of the time. the only reason i chimed in with that comment............simon was remarking on how beautiful symmetry can be "created" by natural processes, giving the example of the snowflake.....and a creationist will simply reply that a creator designed the exact conditions to make every snowflake unique and beautiful. basically, simons example takes nothing away from the original argument/suggestion on this thread, thats all.

aa

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

Even if we had proof of a creator with a plan. We will never have proof of a creator that cares. Oh yeah, Christians will say that he sent his son to die for us. Big Whoop! There are many here in this country that sent their sons to die in war for our freedom or someone else's freedom and none of them have the power to ressurrect their own sons. No, creator or not, we are on our own.

TimB

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

That's pretty much what ancient, primitive humans gathered when they saw the sunset, the wind, the rain, human fertility. Earlier humans, in fact, ascribed a *variety* of gods for a lot of things; the notion of one single creator came fairly late in human history...

Soo...your observation is no different from that of very primitive man...

I guess I'd tend to show horrific pictures of humans cruelly killed by virture of the race, religion, or nationality (in this century mind you), starving children in hopelessly unsanitary conditions, millions of babies orphaned by AIDS....would an almighty creator who was capable of all things let THIS occur and continue?

You can look at it both ways. Nature, science, and society in general can be both beautiful and horribly cruel. You cannot credit a benevolent intelligent creator for his/her incredible creations while at the same time overlooking the horror, tragedies and woeful shortcomings of the human experience.

Are you prepared to do both??

• dubla
    dubla
    would an almighty creator who was capable of all things let THIS occur and continue?

sure. one reasonable explanation for this would be that the universe and everything in it is one big experiment, left to run its course.

aa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit