Satan Had it easy! Does the bible make sense?

by Mecurious? 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

My response to the thread above on do you still believe got me to thinking. Satan had it easy. In Genesis he was allowed to corrupt adam and eve and bring death to the whole human family. Satan was allowed to kill off Job's entire family cause job to get sick almost to the point of death then still have access into heaven. The more you think about it the less sense it makes. Down below is my original response. I would like to get other comments on this.

In other words, why do you believe in God/Jesus/Bible?

I'm not sure the God in the bible actually exists. I believe, of course that its possible. What's strange to me is that my little girl who is only 6 (but very smart) has lately been asking me alot of questions about god. She said that she didn't believe that God is a person (The way I had been trying to explain it to her). She asked if god had created himself. I advised her that he didn't, and then I tried to explain to her that god created the heavens, earth, sun, stars etc. Now here's the funny part. She told me that she has never seen God flip a light switch in the sky to make the sun come up. I burst into laughter. But after the laughter died down, I tried to conceal my own doubts: As a child growing up as a Jw I often wondered why God seemed to have changed from a warrior type into a more laid back loving and kind type. I grew up very afraid of God. I always thought Armageddon was right around the corner But, I also thought it was unfair for us to have to pay for something Adam and eve did. It’s been even worse since my sister died. Speaking of death I didn't understand why the ransom had to be paid twice. I say twice because Jesus (yes I believe he existed. well. sort of) died for our sins. Right? So why do we still have to die? I felt like since Jesus died we should "all" be able to just get on with our business and live forever in paradise on earth. I mean to me it sounds like an even trade. But if Jesus didn't die we are like Paul said most to be pitied, ("See 1 cor 15:19") for having put our faith in something that doesn't exist. Of course its still possible that Jesus existed as a regular "enlightened" Individual who walked about and preached and was crucified. Which of course Paul words above would still apply. But in my mind its goes deeper than that. The 4 main tenants of the bible seem to be: (correct me if I’m wrong)

1. Adam and Eve (Creation)
    2. Noah (Gods saves righteous few destroys everybody else.)
    3. Jesus (Resurrection hope \Redemption)
    4. Revelation (Doomsday.)

If any of the above don't hold up there’s a problem somewhere. First question that comes to my mind. Why did god allow men to write the bible anyway? Since we don’t know anything about some of the men who wrote the bible can we be sure about its contents? Why didn't he just do like he did with Moses and write it out himself? In that way he could have made sure that the mssg was transferred correctly and that the divine words wouldn't get misinterpreted. The bible tells us that In the Beginning God created the heavens and the earth as well as Adam and Eve (I wont get into arguments for or against creation.) Then Satan comes and tempts Eve informs her that if she ate she would then be able to discern right from wrong, the bible goes on to tell us that she does in fact eat and instead of Satan being a liar what he said comes true, this becomes apparent because all of sudden they notice that they are naked.

Here's the problem: why would it have been a sin for them to eat if they had no concept of right and wrong beforehand. To me this is akin to telling a child not to eat candy or touch a hot stove while at the same time practically dangling it right in front of them. Even Jesus would be appalled see~ Luke 11:11-13. Unfortunately it only gets worse from here on out. Why? well....................................

Since god is supposedly omnipotent, he knew Satan’s heart condition even before he was created! So why even bother to create him to start with, knowing full well he would only have to be destroyed, thereby sparing himself, the other angels and esp. US all the heartache. Imho, Adam and Eve were a far lesser threat than Satan so why not just destroy Satan and give Adam and Eve another chance and be done with it? See! Satan got the better deal out of all this and rent free I might add (more on this later.)

Lets skip the flood geology stuff. Someone else here has already discussed it in depth.

Jesus/Resurrection: Sounded like a pretty good deal when I first heard about it. Leave heaven to go on vacation for 33 years on earth. Piss off the Jewish religious Leaders; aggravate the hell out of the Romans. Volunteer to take a long nap. Get resurrected 3 days later, go back to heaven and have a party with Satan. OOPs. Did I do that? I mean the JW's teach that Satan wasn't thrown out until 1914 right? So he would have still been there when Jesus got back in town.

Revelation: Great Trib. People resurrected formed into a Great crowd. Earth is a Paradise. Satan Bound and gagged in a abyss for a thousand years giving him just enough time to think up another injurious scheme. People seem to actually start liking each other, no more wars, hunger, death or pain then for some strange reason Satan is let loose again(). Many have to be destroyed for falling for his brilliant plan. Why, even Job and most all of the prophets falls for Satan’s smooth wily ways. But believe it or not, not a single JW is harmed. Of course you could still break your arm or something tho' and it would hurt like hell, actually worse, because now you would have a perfect finely tuned nervous system. Ah, perfection at its best. Finally, Satan is thrown into the lake of fire along with his minions. But not before his finishes his six-pack with his best friends Bro Russell and Bro Rutherford.

Does this sound ridiculous? Well, yea I added in a little humor. Unfortunately, this is what I had been taught all of my life. So, Imagine how I felt when I came across this site. Now my eyes are open. I believe that all my beliefs need to be reexamined. Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that God is either:

1. ETI
    2. Unconcerned Creator
    3. Doesn’t exist

I will skip the second one because it doesn’t make any sense. Think about it why go through all the trouble to create the universe, with intelligent life then have absolutely no contact with them. Some will disagree but 3 makes more sense than the second choice. Nevertheless I will omit it as well because I think it obscures the point that I am trying to make. Nothing in the observable universe exists without a cause. Some try to skate around this using math and logic. I care not to resort to such a debate because an ETI (the first choice) does not require Omnipotence.

Is God nothing more than a sufficiently advanced extra-terrestrial intelligence?

Any sufficiently advanced extra-terrestrial intelligence is indistinguishable from God. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. This last observation stimulated me to think more on the relationship of science and religion, particularly the impact or the discovery of an Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (ETI) would have on both traditions. God is typically described by Western religions as omniscient and omnipotent. Since we are far from the mark on these traits, how could we possibly distinguish a God who has them absolutely, from an ETI who has them in relatively (to us) copious amounts? Thus, we would be unable to distinguish between absolute and relative omniscience and omnipotence. But if God were only relatively more knowing and powerful than us, then by definition it "would" be an ETI! Consider two observations and one deduction:

1. Biological evolution operates at a snail's pace compared to technological evolution (the former is Darwinian and requires generations of differential reproductive success, the latter is Lamarckian and can be implemented within a single generation). 2. The cosmos is very big and space is very empty ("Voyager I", our most distant spacecraft hurtling along at over 38,000 mph, will not reach the distance of even our sun's nearest neighbor, the Alpha Centauri system that it is "not" even headed toward, for over 75,000 years). Ergo, the probability of an ETI who is only slightly more advanced than us and also makes contact is virtually nil. If we ever do find ETI it will be as if a million-year-old "Homo erectus" were dropped into the middle of a large metropolitan city, given a computer and cell phone and instructed to communicate with us. ETI would be to us as we would be to this early hominid — godlike. Science and technology have changed our world more in the past century than it changed in the previous hundred centuries. It took 10,000 years to get from the cart to the airplane, but only 66 years to get from powered flight to a lunar landing. Moore's Law of computer power doubling every eighteen months continues unabated and is now down to about a year. At some point the total computational power will rise to levels that are so far beyond anything that we can imagine that they will appear near infinite and thus, relatively speaking, be indistinguishable from omniscience. When this happens the world will change more in a decade than it did in the previous thousand decades. Extrapolate that out a hundred thousand years, or a million years (an eye blink on an evolutionary time scale and thus we get a realistic estimate of how far advanced ETI will be, unless we happen to be the first space-faring species, which is unlikely), and we get a gut-wrenching, mind-warping feel for just how godlike someone who possessed this kind of technology would seem. If an alien species were advanced enough to travel across the cosmos and create new life forms a question has to be asked. Where are they now? That leaves us in the in the same but slightly different situation. Could it be that the ETI that created us are extinct? But this too seems unlikely since they would obviously possess near infinite technology or naturally be extremely long lived. Hey, maybe there busy creating other
    Worlds. Who knows maybe in a few thousand years we'll get a postcard.

Brian

• setfreefinally
    setfreefinally

It looks like you thought about his awhile as I have. I came up with a lot of the same questions and conclusions as you have. Its eery isnt it. I dont have any more answers than you.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Hi Brian,

Interesting point about Adam and Eve not knowing good and bad when tested, I have never thought of that!

Well, my comments may not be wholly constructive but..

you talk about the huge almost exponential growth in computing power, have you considered the thought that we could actually exist inside a huge computer simulation owned by a god who is an ETI. The universe is billions of years old, and if our processing power is doubling every year, imagine what computers could evolve into in all that time!

That would of course then lead you to ask who is their God, but in actuall fact, the simulation we are in was designed to answer the question, "is there a God?".

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Mecurious? - honestly, most of what you related here, I have either eluded to in a variety of posts, or simply hold on a personal level.

Excellent post, and I read the whole damn thing.

Well written, and well balanced. I enjoyed it immensely.

I hope your post will strike a familiar chord with many of the participants on here.

The Adam & Eve story, has wracked my brain continuously. Also, a so-called perfect god creating something perfect, that becomes imperfect? It just doesn't add up to me.

OH did I ever have headaches with that one.

Thanks Mecurious?.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

The following works, of Science Fiction, address some of these interesting issues:

Isaac Asimov - "The Last Question."
    The story spans the entire existence of the universe, and the plot reveals the existence of God. In the near future, man has invented a super computer known as a Multivac. The computer is asked if entropy (the winding down or loss of energy in the universe) can be reversed. The computer says that not enough data is available. The story progresses many eons and through the years, the computers evolve along with man, and at each stage, it is asked if entropy can be reversed, and the answer always comes back that there is not enough data at that time. In the final stage, human kind has evolved into one mind free of body, and co-exists with the computer which exists in hyperspace. As the universe come to an end and man fades out, the computer discovers how to reverse entropy, and says "Let there be light".

Frederick Brown - "Answer"
    A super computer is asked the ultimate question, is there a God? The computer replies '’Now there is a God".

Isaac Asimov - "The Last Answer"
    An atheistic physicist dies, and is carried to what he believes to be an afterlife. He soon finds out that he is the prisoner of an all-powerful being that used a "nexus of electromagnetic forces" to imitate the workings of his brain, in essence giving the man immortality. The catch is that the man's purpose for eternity is simply to think. The universe was created for the amusement of the all-powerful being, and the man has no choice but to exist for all eternity to please the being. The last answer that the man intends to spend eternity thinking about, is how to end the existence of "god." "For what could any Entity, conscious of eternal existence, want-but an end?".

On this last thought, I seem to recall a movie with Sean Connery in the lead, in which he kills off a bunch of immortal people, at their request (I think he did another similar one called "Zardok"(??), where he kills them off without their permission - but it was a long time ago, and I may be getting it mixed up).

The whole "immortality / Immortal soul" concept is certainly an interesting one.

• anglise
    anglise

I have always thought that the idea of a creator destrying his creation because it doesnt work as he expected it to is to say the least bizarre.

It is like a small child who cant quite master his lego bricks and so throws them down and jumps up and down on them when things dont work out as he wanted.

Maybe there is something out there.

We have no ultimate proof either way.

I certainly dont believe in the biblical concept of a creator.

Most governments through the ages have embraced the main philosophies ie care of fellow man etc and often without a religious leaning to take them that way.

The god of the old testament would be tried and found guilty under the Hague convention. Is he the best we can do?

Anglise

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Hi Mecurious,

Thank you for your thoughts. Very interesting. You said:

Is God nothing more than a sufficiently advanced extra-terrestrial intelligence?

I believe this thought/question has a great deal of merit and it makes perfect sense to me for you to introduce here. Just as we are "programmed" to believe what religion and society in general has taught us about "god",Jesus, and Satan, we are similarly programmed about emmissaries, angels, demons, and ET's. Our concepts of of them may be so distorted that we wouldn't recognize them should we pass on the street.

Perhaps most of our cognitive precepts are entirely wrong about these curious entities. I am convinced of it myself.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

There is good and evil, right and wrong, light and dark - and what is said.

What is said has a witness - ie. what is done. If Satan wasn't allowed to do evil, then how could it be said that he's evil?

If the gb weren't allowed to do evil, how could it be said that they're evil?

How can you prevent someone doing evil, and call them evil?

Are we livng in "Minority Report" ?

• Chappi
    Chappi

Hi Mecurious/Brian,

The idea of ETI unconcerned creator(s), who might be dead now or who doesn’t care about us, is probably the least "faith-requiring" faith. To believe in the Bible God requires a good deal more and so does to believe in the evolution. A lot of the standard argumentation for the Bible being true is really argumentation pro creation. I understand where you come from and Im familiar with your ideas. I think many doubting JWs or ex JWs do the mistake of equaling the Bible with the JW interpretation. They are often not familiar with any other interpretation except bits from their loudmouthed adversaries in the "born again/evangelistic" movement. That is a shame, because they never get the peace or exorcise the fear they need to give the Bible an honest chance before they let it go.

I’m a Christian universalist. That is, I believe that the Bible holds a true and harmonious message and I believe in the final reconciliation of all men and angels, whatever judgments and torments it may take for some.

I would like to briefly comment on the biblical matters you discuss. First of all, Adam and Eve. No, the serpent’s lie was not true. They did not become as God or gods (=angels, KJV rendering, see also 2 Sam. 14v17) to know good and evil. Even today man does not know good and evil like God, they lack divine wisdom. By the sin, they loose God’s protection and harmony with God, but they do not get the divine wisdom the serpent told them they would get.

As for the ransom, note the words in 1 Tim. 2v5; as a testimony to be verified in due time. The world is presently in the hands of the evil one, but this will not last. At some point in the future all things will be reconciled (1 Col. 1v20). There will be no more death or pain (Rev. 21v4), which means no hell torments and no annihilation, and death and the old man will alreadly be destroyed (Rev. 20v14-15). As all die in Adam, all will be made alive in Christ, all in respective time (1 Cor. 15v22-26). Some at Christ’s coming, some much later after, some after punishment and tribulation.

About Satan, who could have sympathy for him but I believe the Bible teaches that he too at some point will be brought back to harmony, doubtlessly after much punishment. It seems natural to me that a mighty spirit being gets other conditions than us. He is the great accuser, the architect of sin and a being on a whole other level than us. Sure God knew what he would do, but God wished the whole creation to learn from it. He, as the responsible and Almigthy, subjected all the innocent to misery, but God gave them a hope too (Rom. 8v20), however hidden that hope is to most. Paul deals quit a lot with the issue of whether this is unfair of God. He concludes that God can do whatever God wants (Rom. 9v20) but also that God has decided to show mercy upon all (Rom. 11v30, see also Ps. 145v9). The Bible got little information about Satan, but I believe he was surely cast down from heaven before Jesus’ earthly ministry. Heaven however, is many things. Even if we suggest Satan was in heaven when Jesus was resurrected, I doubt that their mansions were close to eachother ;-).

Finally concerning Revelation and Satan’s release. I have great sympathy for the socalled Russellites, who are still around, I know many wonderful people in that crowd but I also believe they teach some fundamental errors. Russell rejected universal reconcilation but believed in universal restoration. He believed all would be restored to Adamic perfection due the thousand years. Not only does that require a distortion of the events in Rev. 20 (grand resssurection occurs after the 1.000 years, not before), but most of all it teaches salvation by works, something foreign to the Bible. The idea that people during 1.000 years make themselves worthy for salvation is totally foreign to the Bible, a sheer invention. Sinful man can not please God by his nature. The JWs still teach basically the same although they operate with a lot of people not being raised.

Well I hope you read this. Yours was surely interesting to read. You are wellcome to contact me at

[email protected]

God Bless you

• Chappi
    Chappi

sorry the email is [email protected] Just in case

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit