eggs, over easy?

by Irreverent 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Irreverent
    Irreverent

Sometimes, I get a request from the wife for egg over easy. While I am an excellent cook; I always have trouble with eggs. Any suggestions on how to cook eggs over easy? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Here's a link to the "Food Network" site. I hope it helps.

http://www.foodtv.com/recipes/re-c1/0,6255,15329,00.html

Eggs Over Easy

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

2 eggs (the fresher the better)
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    Salt and pepper

Heat a small non-stick skillet over low heat and add butter. As soon as the butter stops foaming, crack the eggs into the pan. Lift the handle about an inch so that the eggs pool in the far corner of the pan. Hold for 30 seconds or until the whites start to set, then lower the handle and give the pan a jiggle just to make sure there’s no sticking. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and continue to cook over low heat until the whites become opaque. Jiggle to loosen the eggs, then lift the pan, holding it about a foot above the heat. Now, flip the eggs over by pushing the pan away and snapping upward simultaneously. Once the eggs start their somersault, raise the pan to meet them so that the exposed yolks experience the softest landing possible. The goal of course is to avoid breaking the yolks. If you succeed, count to 10 slowly then flip the eggs again, slide them onto a plate and serve. If the yolks do break, act like you meant them to, fry for another minute and serve. They’ll still taste great.

Yield: 1 serving

• Celia
    Celia

eggs over easy.... I suppose these are fried eggs that are then flipped to cook the egg yolk too. Anyway, here is what I do.... I do not flip them --

Heat a non-stick pan, add butter, crack your eggs. Salt and pepper -- When the bottom of the egg white starts browning, cover the pan with its lid for a minute -- the eggs should be perfect, if you want the yolk to be slightly firm.

I like mine runny, YUM so I do not cover the pan.

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

I prefer mine scrambled with cheese!

PFC District Overbeer

• Irreverent
    Irreverent

Gopher: The Food Network. Never thought of that. I am always watching the Pope Network. thanks for the recipe, will try it out.

Celia: thanks also. I think that she would also like sunny side up; I know that she likes them done, runny not slimy.

• Irreverent
    Irreverent

Overbeer: sounds good to me. these are a special request because I think she likes to dip her toast in the yokes. Otherwise, cheese on anything always works.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

make sure the pan is HOT enough. I use a little oil and it is hot enough when it FIRST STARTS to smoke....remove it from the heat and break the egg in a bowl first(incidentally it is easier to do two eggs at once), then slide it into the pan. return to medium heat.

sprinkle it lightly with salt BEFORE you flip the egg---the salt helps keep it from sticking too. Then when you flip it--GENTLY--only cook it long enough to congeal the white. I find it easier to manipulate without breaking the yolk if I use a flexible METAL spatula(even if I use a non-stick pan--I am just careful not to scratch the pan with it.)

practice! and eat alot of egg sandwiches until you get it right!

Ravyn

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

I nudge them over with the spatula---I do not flip them by tossing them in the pan. and it is easier to just nudge them over sideways after you get them onto the spatula rather than try to flip them end over end.

Ravyn

• Francois
    Francois

Um, you can't both PUSH the frying pan and SNAP it back to you at the same time (simultaneously). The snap follows the push as if it were the same motion. The only reason I'm butting in with this is to save you the trouble of having egg dripping from your buttons.

That motion is only possible after much practice. With salt instead of egg.

Have fun.

francois

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I bought "The Perfect Pancake" specifically for cooking fried eggs because I almost always break them when I turn them over. This is a little nonstick frying pan with a nonstick lid, so all I do is turn it over. So far, so good.

As for making pancakes with it, it's great if you have all the time in the world because it makes one . . . at . . . a . . . time. Long live my nice LARGE electric frying pan!

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit