eggs, over easy?

by Irreverent 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

So that's what eggs over easy means, cooked on both sides. Just stick the pan under the grill for 20 seconds once they're fried!

Englishman.

• dottie
    dottie

Damn!

I keep seeing this post and now I'm gonna have to have some eggs for breakfast today!

Dottie

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

My Dad owns a restaurant. He's Greek. He has a t-shirt that he sells to his customers that says "How do you want your eggs? Not that it matters." It's a big joke around Austin, Texas, that people order their eggs this way or that at the restaurant and they get what they get. He doesn't care. He just says he'll try to do better next time. He owns a greasy spoon diner that's older'n dirt in downtown Austin, and his first t-shirt showed him on the front with a big cigar stickin outta his mouth cookin eggs. Not exactly a health inspector's dream restaurant, but the University of Texas students like it for the ambiance <looks around fearful>, the fact that everything is homemade, and you can smoke there. Austin is one of those "clean air cities" that does not appeal to the late bar crowd, but he lets his customers smoke. I am not sure how he gets away with it, but he does. All I know. to my Dad.. over easy.. is put it in the pan for five seconds, then on the plate. I started ordering my eggs well done to get em "ovary easy." Hehehhe. I love my Dad.. and his bad cooking.

Country girl

• blondie
    blondie

I'll hijack this a little.

Growing up, it was my duty to cook the eggs for my dad's breakfast. He had exacting requirements.

Over easy, white cooked, yellow runny but not broken, so he could dip his toast into the yolk.

Since he was an abusive, exacting type of guy, I got pretty good at it.

Now that I like my eggs like that, I searched the world over to find the grill cook that can do it. We were in a small town in Utah and I was served perfect over easy eggs. I had to go back to the kitchen and meet this guy (it was a guy) and shake his hand.

At home, the best way is to watch the eggs until the whites are no longer runny and then put a lid over the eggs briefly until a thin film forms over the yolks. You can also take some of the grease or butter in the pan and spoon it over the yolks. This way the whites are cooked, and the yolks are not, and the flipping over part is avoided.

I'm having over easy eggs today. I'm making them though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit