Those married to "still in" JWs

by NikL 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

NikL

It seems that we are in almost same situation you and me. I started to fade gradual about 20 years ago. 15 years ago I stopped go to meetings. And I have not attended one single meeting in 15 years (except for a funeral 10 years ago.) But my wife is still in and active. All our children (6 of them) were raised as JW:s, one of them even got baptized, but faded just 2 years after baptizing. In my wife’s cong. I am a very well-known person (former elder), and the members of that cong.s still say hello to me when we meet in the town. I believe that most of the brothers and sisters know that I am apostate, writing on sites like this, but there concerns are not my faith or my apostate. They are more concern about the influence our family has over my wife’s faith. According to the rules as I know them, the only reason for divorce is if your faith is at stake, by continuing living with an apostate. If so, you have the right to separate….but, but, but, if my wife choses that deal, she will lose her whole family…children, grandchildren and the men she has lived with for over 40 years. And she can´t take that. So, we still live together never speaking about religious believes, her meeting at the Cong or anything that can disturb our relation. When there is a TV program that shake her believe system (about evolution, or other Bible truths then those she has learned) She just leave the room and come back when the danger is over. The thing is, we do not suffer….It is she that have the problem. Of course I sometimes worry over her mental health. Living in the spiders nest, must make you a little nervous. But when she realize that no one of us are going to argue about her believe system and none of us are going to stop her meeting attendance or even her preaching work, she has I kind of relaxed or loosing up a bit and even invited “her sisters” to sewing circle in our home.

The bottom line is….don´t argue with your wife, especially about doctrine matters and the borgs teaching. Let her attend her meeting, even drive her there if it is necessary. Your kindness to her makes her understand that you are in fact no enemy. Many JW,s are not in fact believing the shit they read in the WTS. They are more members of a social club that want to keep all “their friend”, and don´t want to disturb others with their doubts.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

NicL

Hold fast Bro. Some of us are in the same position as you and have experienced exactly the same responses.

I too attend a lot of meetings, I feel I owe her support. In the past this has been thrown in my face and I have been called a hypocrite......( go figure!)

My wife is a smart woman who would beat me hands down on any intelligence test but has a complete block when it comes to the WTS . The circular reasoning of "we know it is the truth and that is that" rules in her mind . Many the time we have had discussions that only turn to rows.....☹️

I would onlly say that it has got much better over time. We both know how to avoid such subjects and mostly , we succeed

best of luck.

• TD
    TD

My wife is a smart woman who would beat me hands down on any intelligence test but has a complete block when it comes to the WTS .

That sounds eerily familiar....

The first chink in my wife's cult conditioning was letting her experience the joy of handing out candy to children at Halloween.

--Nothing to do with reason or intelligence; just allowing the kind person inside to come out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit