Ecclesiastes 9:5 -"the dead know nothing at all"

by aqwsed12345 91 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hi AQ,

"God did not create hell"

OK, who do you think created Sheol/Hades and the eternal lake of fire?

So my manufactured conversation between Adam and God is "a stupid argument", "nothing more than mockery" and "a childish catacture" of your beliefs about hell and damnation.

Do you view the conversation between The Rich man and Abraham in the same light? (Luke 16:22-26)

And do you think people are in torment in Hades flames as we speak?

• Gman2001
    Gman2001

Jesus had absolute knowledge of life after death....you cannot build a doctrine about this subject from ecclesiastes and ignore all the New Testament scripture on the subject.

• EasyPrompt
    EasyPrompt

Right, that's why when Jesus said "Lazarus our friend has gone to sleep, but I am going there to awaken him..." and then "Jesus said plainly, "Lazarus has died," his words jive with what is written in Ecclesiastes 9:5.

Lazarus didn't say, "Aw, Jesus, why did you bring me back from heaven!" or "Yikes! Thanks, Jesus for bringing me back from that awful hell place!"

The only time in the scriptures anybody talks like that is when apostate King Saul went to visit the witch of Endor..."Then “Samuel” said to Saul: “Why have you disturbed me by having me brought up?”"

The "doctrine" of "life in hell" is not based on the Bible, either in the Old Testament or the New Testament.

Life can be hell. But neither Jesus nor God would ever keep someone alive for all eternity in a torture chamber. "God is Love."

• aqwsed12345
    aqwsed12345

The Resurrection of Lazarus and the Afterlife

According to the gospel, Jesus resurrected Lazarus, who had lain in the grave for four days. It's an amazing thing that Lazarus, who spent four days in the afterlife, did not speak about the afterlife at all. He could have convinced so many unbelievers with this. Indeed, if I could glimpse into the afterlife for even a quarter of an hour, I would eagerly relate everything I saw there.

But this makes one think, how can there be an afterlife if even those who came back from it don't talk about it?

First of all, a counter-question: how does the one who asks this know that Lazarus did not speak of what he saw in the afterlife? Of course, we don't know this because the gospel does not accidentally speak of it. So the objection collapses at this point. It's possible that Lazarus indeed spoke of the afterlife, and in that case, he undoubtedly said the same about it as Jesus. But we concede and find it likely that Lazarus really did not speak of the afterlife. Even for the simple reason that although he died, this first death for him did not mean the end of life, and thus judgment, meaning Lazarus did not begin his afterlife during the time he spent in the grave.

By death means two things: 1. the soul's separation from the body, and 2. entry into the afterlife, meaning judgment and the beginning of eternal life. With Lazarus, since God wanted to resurrect him, this time only the first occurred: the soul's separation from the body; not the second. And since Lazarus's soul, although separated from the body, did not see the afterlife, it's natural that he did not speak of the afterlife, in which he was not.

Now only a strongly speculative mind might ask: where was he then, what life did the soul separated from the body lead, if it was neither in the body nor in the afterlife? Our honest answer is: we do not know; but we know that there is nothing impossible in a soul, although separated from the body, still being here on earth, if indeed the spiritual soul needs a place, whereabouts, to exist. Perhaps, in a dreamlike, unconscious state, the time for him elapsed in the suspension of its operation until it reunited with the body as a vital principle. What would be impossible in that?

However, we by no means accept that the return of Lazarus or any dead person from the afterlife would somehow particularly benefit or reinforce belief in the afterlife. No. Jesus spoke so clearly of the afterlife, eternal life, and provided such powerful evidence for the truth of his words that a dead witness's testimony would be a trifling insignificance in comparison; and yet: how many close their eyes to Jesus's testimony? How many still doubt and deny, purely out of a lack of thought or because they don't want their frivolous lives to be troubled by the afterlife?

A risen dead person would surely be called a phantom, suggestion, hallucination, and it would not be a wonder, beside a risen dead person under no circumstances would such a vast mass of signs of objective certainty battle, as beside Jesus's revelations. Jesus himself alludes to this when, at the end of the parable of the rich man and the beggar, he has Abraham reject the rich man's request that Lazarus be sent to his brothers to "bear witness to them, that they also don't come to this place of torment." Jesus has Abraham give this answer: "They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them." And he said, 'No, father Abraham! But if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.' He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead'" (Lk 16:31).

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Those who sleep are unconscious. Lazarus was asleep in Hades (grave) for four days. He had nothing to say about the afterlife, Abraham's Bosom, heaven or Hades.

• aqwsed12345
    aqwsed12345

@Vanderhoven7

The 'sheol' / 'hades' is not the grave, the grave is in 'qeber' in Hebrew, and 'taphos' / 'mnémeion' is Greek.

Your views are contradicted by numerous passages in the Scriptures, for example, 1 Samuel 28; Job 19:26; 26:5-6; Isaiah 14:9-11. 15-17; Matthew 17:3; 22:31-32; Luke 16:19-31; 23:43; Philippians 1:21-24; 2 Corinthians 5:1-8; 1 Thessalonians 5:10; 1 Peter 3:19; Hebrews 12:1; Revelation 5:8; 6:9-10; 7:10; 20:4. In all these places, the souls of the dead are alive, conscious, and aware.

Eternal damnation is explicitly taught in the Bible, compare: Deut 32:22, Is 33:11.14, 66:24, Dan 12:2, Psalm 21:10, Mt 8:12; Mt 25:41, Mt 25:46, Mt 3:12; Mk 9:43-49, Lk 3:16-17, Lk 13:28, Rom 2:6-9, 2Tess 1:6-9, 2Pt 2:4, Rev 14:11, Rev 20:10.15.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hi AQ,

((The 'sheol' / 'hades' is not the grave))

Sheol is the single Hebrew word often translated as hell. "Sheol appears 65 times in the OT. In the King James Version (KJV), Sheol is translated 31 times as hell; 31 times as grave and 3 times as pit. In the New Innternational Version (NIV) Sheol is translated 57 times as grave; 7 times as death and once as depths.

WHAT ARE SOME OF THE FACTS THAT BECOME APPARENT ABOUT SHEOL?

Sheol is located downward in the dust of the earth. (Job 17:13-16)

Both the good and the bad go to Sheol.

Jacob and his sons go to Sheol. (Gen.42:38)

David planned to rest in Sheol. (Ps.16:9-10)

David desired his enemies also go down to Sheol, not in peace, but in blood. (I Kings 2:6,9)

By going to Sheol, Job misses God's wrath. Job actually asks to be hidden in Sheol to escape God's anger. (Job 14:13)

The terms death, the grave, and destruction are so closely bound as to be often interchangeable in the text (Pr.15:11, 24; 27:20).

Not too much goes on in Sheol.

There is no wisdom or knowledge there and no activity or work for those who go down to silence. (Eccl.9:10 Ps.6:5 Ps. 31:17) No person praises God from Sheol (Ps.6:5; 88:10-12)

Figurative language is often associated with Sheol. Beds are made In Sheol. Maggots are spread beneath the dead and worms cover them like a blanket. (Is.14:11)

Sheol is even personified. It is pictured as snatching sinners and robbing people of their remaining years. (Job 24:19);

Sheol has an appetite. It opens its mouth without limit. It is never satisfied. (Pr.27:20) Sheol is naked before God.

Not only is Sheol personified, but it is also presented in satire, (while incorporating some of the mythological views of Babylon and Egypt), to ridicule special visitors. 1 Sheol, for example, is said to stir up dead kings, and have them rise from their thrones and welcome Israel's enemies. (Is.14:9,11,15; Ez.32: 21,24,27) These same leaders are also personified for dramatic purposes and pictured as carrying on a conversation in Sheol while still engaged in their lifetime pursuits, i.e. ruling

MOST IMPORTANT: God will redeem souls from Sheol's power. (Ps.49:15)

Sheol will not have the last word. Sheol is going to be plagued and death is going to be destroyed! (Hos.13:14 KJV) Sheol is not eternal therefore, but temporary. God is with the righteous in Sheol and His promise is not to abandon them there forever. (Ps.16:10; 139:8)

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hi AQ,

Let's go through every verse together that you believe supports the doctrine of eternal torment.

Your first verse you mention is Deut 32:22 which reads

For a fire is kindled by my anger, and it burns to the depths of Sheol, devours the earth and its increase, and sets on fire the foundations of the mountains. RSV

How does this first verse suggest human beings experience either temporary or eternal torment in Sheol?

• aqwsed12345
    aqwsed12345

In the Old Testament, what terms are used to describe the dwelling place of the spirits of the deceased?

In Genesis 37:35, Jacob, who believed that his son Joseph was killed by a wild animal, says, “... In mourning I will go down to my son in the land of the dead (Sheol).”

It's impossible that the Hebrew word Sheol could mean grave or hell, since these words express two completely different things.

We can also clearly see that the Hebrew word Sheol used in the Old Testament (mentioned 65 times in the Old Testament) is synonymous with the word Hades in the New Testament, both referring to the dwelling place of the deceased's spirit.

The identical meaning of Sheol and Hades is clear when we compare Psalm 16:10 with Acts 2:27, which quotes an Old Testament passage about the Messiah. Acts 2:27 says, “... for you will not leave my soul in the realm of the dead (Hades), ...” And in Psalm 16:10, we read: “For you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead (Sheol).” The well-known Septuagint (Greek Old Testament) always translates the word Sheol as 'hades', which does not mean damnation at all.

The Watchtower Society says that Sheol or hell simply means the grave pit, the piece of land where the dead body is placed. How this does not reflect reality, and has no biblical basis, can be proved as follows:

The Hebrew word for grave is "qeber," corresponding to the Greek word "mneemaion." We must also know that Sheol or Hades never appears in the plural. In contrast, "qeber" occurs 27 times in plural. The same applies to the Greek word "mneemaion." From this, it follows that Sheol or Hades refers to a specific “place,” unlike “qeber” or “mneemeion,” which refer to many places. We never say, "This is my own Sheol," but we do say, "this is my grave ("qeber")." The "qeber" is, therefore, the place of dead bodies, or the cemetery. We do not say that a Sheol was dug, but that a grave was dug for someone. The "qeber" or "mneemeion" always refers to a specific person, while Sheol or Hades is used in a general sense by Scripture.

Jacob said this to Joseph: “I am about to die, but bury me in my tomb..." (Gen 50:5) In contrast, Sheol or Hades never belongs to a person or persons. We do not say that the body goes to Hades, nor do we say that the spirit dwells in the grave. We do not read that a Sheol was dug, and into it was laid the spirit of a man. (cf. 1 Kings 13:30; Jer 8:1; 2 Sam 21:14; Neh 2:5) The Bible uses Sheol exclusively for human souls and never signifies someone's possession, unlike a burial site.

Gehenna, a part of the Sheol / Hades, is the tormenting place for the godless. “For a fire is kindled in my anger, and burns to the depths of Sheol...” (Deut 32:22); “The cords of death encompassed me; the torrents of destruction assailed me...” (Psalm 116:3). The word "qeber" is never associated with judgment or punishment since the body placed in the grave feels nothing. In contrast, the deceased's spirit or soul in Sheol feels and is conscious.

Let there be two examples from the Old Testament for this purpose.

When Jacob's sons and daughters tried to comfort him because of Joseph, he said, "I will go down to the land of the dead (to Sheol) in mourning for my son" (Genesis 37:35). Jacob believed that his son had been torn apart by wild animals, so they could not bury him. He did not want to see his grave, but in his grief, he thought that they would meet in Sheol. We cannot say that one dead body will meet another; this would be senseless.

A more expressive example can be found in the Book of Samuel when Saul goes to the witch to summon Samuel from the land of the dead, from Sheol. Samuel says to Saul: "…and tomorrow you and your sons will be with me" (1 Samuel 28:19). This event convincingly proves that a person exists after death, has understanding, can communicate, and does not cease to be with death.

Where is Sheol? In the Old Testament, out of 65 places, Sheol is mentioned 20 times as a place that is "down," somewhere in the depths. "…and they will go down alive into the pit (to Sheol)…" (Numbers 16:30). Similarly, we find this expression in the New Testament concerning Capernaum. "And you, Capernaum… You will be brought down to hell!" (Matthew 11:30). From these verses, it could be concluded that Sheol or Hades is located somewhere down, in the depths, as Tartarus also expresses the depth or the underworld.

The Bible does not detail the specific definition of these concepts, but we can understand that Sheol or Hades represents a state into which the human spirit (soul) enters without the body. It is, therefore, an immaterial, or non-material, state.

Just as God's "residence," who is Spirit, is in heaven, which cannot be defined in space or time, so Sheol is the "dwelling place" of souls or spirits. We humans live within the limits of space and time and can only think and create concepts accordingly. Therefore, we can only imagine Sheol as a territory in a specific place. This is also reflected in the description of the rich man and Lazarus. The rich man asks Abraham to have Lazarus return to Earth to warn his brothers, so they do not come to this place of torment.

It is difficult or even impossible to define non-material things with material concepts. Spiritual matters can only be interpreted spiritually, as Paul talks about sensory and spiritual bodies (1 Corinthians 15:44). The question of where Sheol is located is not really valid. It is best described as a spiritual state, described in the Bible as the "dwelling place" of the deceased's spirit.

In contrast, the usual expression for "grave" is "qeber" in Hebrew, and "taphos" or "mnémeion" in Greek. Sheol differs from the grave, among other things, in that it is found in a great "depth" (Deuteronomy 32:22; Job 11:8; 26:5; Isaiah 14:15), "gates" shut it off (Psalms 9:14; Isaiah 38:10; cf. Matthew 16:18), and that a person "descends," "goes down" here, while being buried. Although contact with the world is broken in Sheol, it is not unconsciousness but the ability to perceive and act that characterizes it. The relevant biblical places (e.g., Isaiah 14:9-17; Ezekiel 31; Job 14:18-22; 26:5; cf. Luke 16:19-31) may contain figurative elements in detail, but the accounts point to life after death. In contrast to the Old Testament era, the concept of "sheol/hades" expanded in meaning in the New Testament. Beyond the old designation applied to the whole world of the dead, the word may mean either the intermediate dwelling place of all the dead or the place of the souls of the ungodly. Differing from the above, "Gehenna" denotes the "final destination" of the damned, the eternal fiery lake. The associated reality in the New Testament is depicted as follows: Weeping and gnashing of teeth (Matthew 8:12; 13:42.50; 22:13; 24:51; 25:10).

Sheol

“This word is used in the Old Testament for the place of the dead . . . In the later Jewish literature we meet with the idea of divisions within Sheol for the wicked and the righteous, in which each experiences a foretaste of his final destiny . . .”
    (The New Bible Dictionary, J.D. Douglas, editor, Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1962, 518)
    “The Hebrew word designating the unseen abode of the dead; a neutral word, presupposing neither misery nor happiness.”
    (Augustus H. Strong, Systematic Theology, Westwood, NJ: Fleming H. Revell, 1907, 994)
    “While the word Sheol, does not pointedly refer to a definitive doctrine of endless retribution, but rather to a shadowy existence beyond the grave, it nevertheless reflects the belief in a future and continued existence.”
    (Merrill C. Tenney, Pictorial Bible Dictionary, Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, rev. ed., 1967, 346)

Hades

“The region of departed spirits of the lost (but including the blessed dead in periods preceding the Ascension of Christ) . . . It corresponds to Sheol in the O.T. IN the KJV . . . it has unhappily been rendered "Hell," e.g., Ps. 16:10; or "the grace," e.g., Gen. 37:35 . . . It never denotes the grave, nor is it the permanent region of the lost; in point of time it is, for such, intermediate between decease and the doom of Gehenna. For the condition, see Luke 16:23-31.”
    (W.E. Vine, An Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words, Old Tappan, NJ: Fleming H. Revell, 1940; under "Hades")
    “. . . the nether world, the realm of the dead . . . In the Septuagint the Hebrew Sheol is almost always rendered by this word . . . the infernal regions, a dark and dismal place . . . the common receptacle of disembodied spirits.”
    (Joseph Thayer, Greek-English Lexicon of the NT, 11)

The King James Version caused lasting confusion by translating both Greek words hades and gehenna as “hell.” This is often reflected in older Orthodox liturgical texts which say that “Christ descended into hell.”

However, properly speaking, “hell” is theologically equivalent to gehenna or to “the lake of fire” of the “second death” (Rev. 20:14; 21:8). On the other hand, hades is the Greek equivalent of the Hebrew sheol – the common place or state of the reposed. Paradise (Luke 23:43) or Abraham’s bosom (Luke 16:22) were understood as places or conditions within hades-sheol. Hence, the spirits of the righteous of old, as well as that of the repentant thief and of our Lord himself went into hades, but not into hell (gehenna or “the lake of fire”).

It is true that Sheol / Hades is the abode of both the wicked and the righteous, but it was not the literal grave, as JWs assert. Rather, it is a place of consciousness, albeit shadowy and quite mysterious. As revealed in the story of Lazarus and the rich man (Lk 16:19-31), there was a gulf between the wicked and the righteous, and differential reward.

Since the Incarnation, Resurrection, and Ascension of Christ, however, things have changed. Believers in Christ at death go to the Lord as spirits awaiting resurrection of their bodies (2 Cor 5:1-8, Lk 23:42-43, Phil 1:23), and the New Heaven and Earth (Rev 21), whereas unbelievers are separated from God in a state of suffering (2 Peter 2:4-9), awaiting the Last Judgment (Rev 20:11-15) and punishment in the Lake of Fire, which is their final state. The doctrine of hell has always been a belief of histroic, orthodox Christianity. It was not introduced in the "dark ages," as Charles T. Russell stated disparagingly, but by explicit teaching from our Lord Jesus Himself and the Apostles:

“The reality and eternity of suffering in Gehenna is an element of biblical truth that an honest exegesis cannot evade.”
    (The New Bible Dictionary, J.D. Douglas, editor, Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1962, 519)

Qeber / Mnemeion: "Grave" in Hebrew and Greek

The Hebrew word qeber (Strong's word #6913) is the true "grave" in the OT. In the KJV it is translated "grave" 35 times, "sepulchre" 26 times, and "burying place" in 6 places. The related qeburah (STraong's word #6900) is translated similarly 14 times (see, e.g., 1 Kings 13:30, 2 Sam 3:32, Gen 35:20, Jer 8:1). The NT equivalent is menemeion (Strong's word #3419), which in the KJV is rendered "sepulchre" 29 times, "grave" 8 times, and "tomb" five times (for "grave" see Mt 27:52-53, Lk 11:44, Jn 5:28, 11:17,31,38, 12:17).

The contrast between these words and Sheol and Hades is evident. No Sheol is ever dug, but qeber is dug six times (e.g., Gen 50:5, Is 22:16). Bodies are never put in Sheol by man, but men put bodies in qeber 37 times. No person has a Sheol, but they have a qeber, also on 37 occasions in the Bible. Unlike Sheol, qeber is on the surface of the earth, 32 times. Sheol is never pluralized like qeber (29 instances). God alone puts men in Sheol (Num 16:30-33, 1 Sam 2:6). The body is never said to be in Sheol, and the spirit is never sdaid to be in a grave. In the final judgment (Rev 20:13), death (qeber / mnemeion ) and Hades (Sheol) will deliver up the dead (i.e., the bodies from the former and the spirits from the latter). It is patently obvious, then, that the Bible differentiates between one's literal grave, and the region to which souls depart and continue their existence.

Unseen place:

• Hebrew: sheol
    • Greek: Hades

Grave:

• Hebrew: kever
    • Greek: mnemeion
    1. There is a separate word for grave in both Hebrew and Greek in distinction from sheol/hades
    2. In the New Testament, Hades NEVER means the grave. "mnemeion", which is the Greek word for grave. It is always translated as Hades which meant the underworld.
    3. The soul or spirit is never said to go to the grave "mnemeion".
    4. The body is never said to go to hades or sheol.
    5. Isa. 14:19, the king is cast out of his grave (kever) in order to be thrown into Sheol where the departed spirits can rebuke him (vv.9-10). In this passage, Sheol and kever are opposites, not synonyms. This distinction is maintained in the Septuagint as well. In the Septuagint, Sheol is never translated as mneema, which is the Greek word for grave. It is always translated as Hades which meant the underworld.

Many distinctions exist between kever and Sheol:

1. While bodies are unconscious in the grave, those in Sheol are viewed as being conscious.
    2. While touching a grave brings ceremonial defilement (Num. 19:16), the Scriptures never speak of anyone being defiled by Sheol.
    3. While we can enter and leave a tomb or grave [heb: kever] (2 Kings 23:16), no one is ever said to enter and then leave Sheol, unless God causes it to happen. If sheol is the merely the grave, then men should have the power to bring up the dead from sheol!

The following is a limited study of the meaning of Sheol in the Old Testament. Jehovah's Witnesses and others maintain that Sheol is the common grave of mankind, and that man ceases to exist at death. They also deny any conscious punishment of the wicked after death.

It is my conviction that the Scriptural concept of Sheol is *not* simply the grave. I believe that thorough study of the word in the Scriptures reveals it to be a place of conscious existence for souls after death. Without getting too long-winded, her a a few reasons why I believe this is so:

1) There exists in Hebrew a specific word for the grave: kever. When the biblical authors wanted to speak of the grave, they used the word kever. That they did not view kever and Sheol as synonymous is clear from the way these words are used throughout the Old Testament. For example, in Isa. 14:19, the king is cast out of his grave (kever) in order to be thrown into Sheol where the departed spirits can rebuke him (vv.9,10). In this passage, Sheol and kever are opposites, not synonyms.

2) This distinction is maintained in the Septuagint as well. In the Septuagint, Sheol is never translated as mneema, which is the Greek word for grave. It is always translated as Hades which meant the underworld.

3) Many distinctions exist between kever and Sheol. While bodies are unconscious in the grave, those in Sheol are viewed as being conscious (Isa. 14:4-7; 44:23; Ezek. 31:16; 32:21). While touching a grave brings ceremonial defilement (Num. 19:16), the Scriptures never speak of anyone being defiled by Sheol. While we can enter and leave a tomb or grave (2 Kings 23:16), no one is ever said to enter and then leave Sheol. Many other such distinctions can be found in the Hebrew scriptures.

4) God's revelation to OT saints about the afterlife was not complete. As such, much of the language used about Sheol is figurative, and incomplete in descriptiveness. Nevertheless, it is clear, I believe, that these saints understood that Sheol represented a place of conscious existence after death, and not simply the common grave of mankind. It was viewed as a place where one can reunite with his ancestors, tribe or people (Gen. 15:15; 25:8; 35:29; 37:35; 49:33; Num. 20:24, 28; 31:2; Deut. 32:50; 34:5; 2 Sam. 12:23). This cannot refer to one common mass grave where everyone was buried. No such graves ever existed in recorded history. Sheol is the place where the souls of all men go at death. That is why Jacob looked forward to reuniting with Joseph in Sheol (Gen 37:35).

5) The Scriptures suggest that Sheol has different sections. There is the contrast between "the lowest part" and "the highest part" of Sheol (Deut. 32:22). This figurative language implies that there are divisions or distinctions within Sheol. While this is not clearly stated in the Old Testament, there seems to be some kind of distinction within Sheol. Later rabbinic writers clearly taught that Sheol had two sections. The righteous were in bliss in one section while the wicked were in torment in the other.

6) the condition of those in Sheol is described in the following ways: At death man becomes a rephaim, i.e., a "ghost, "shade," or "disembodied spirit" according to Job 26:5; Ps. 88:10; Prov. 2:18; 9:18; 21:16; Isa. 14:9; 26:14,19. Instead of describing man as passing into nonexistence, the Old Testament states that man becomes a disembodied spirit. The usage of the word rephaim establishes this truth. Langenscheidt's Hebrew-English Dictionary to the Old Testament (p.324) defines rephaim as referring to the "departed spirits, Hades." Brown, Driver and Briggs (p.952) define rephaim as "Hades, ghosts...name of dead in Sheol." Keil and Delitzsch define rephaim as referring to "those who are bodiless in the state after death." This concept is carried on into the New Testament in such places as Luke 24:37-39. A belief in "ghosts" necessarily entails a belief that man survives the death of the body. Those in Sheol are pictured as conversing with each other and even making moral judgments on the lifestyle of new arrivals (Isa. 14:9-20; 44:23; Ezek. 32:21). They are thus conscious entities while in Sheol.

7) God's judgment upon the wicked does not cease when the wicked die in their sins. Thus some of the spirits in Sheol experience the following:

a. God's anger (Deut. 32:22): According to Moses, the wicked experience the fire of YHWH's anger in the "lowest part of Sheol." This passage would make no sense if the wicked are nonexistent and Sheol is the grave.

b. Distress (Ps. 116:3): The Hebrew word matzar refers to the distress that is felt when in the straits of a difficulty. It is found in this sense in Ps. 118:5. Also, the word chevel, which is the poetic parallel for matzar, means "cords of distress" (2 Sam. 22:6; Ps. 18:6).

c. Writhing in pain (Job 26:5): The Hebrew word chool means to twist and turn in pain like a woman giving birth.

It is obvious that nonexistence can hardly experience anger, distress, or the like.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hi AQ

Let's deal with one verse at a time to see if Sheol is a place of torment for the unrighteous and something else for the righteous. Your first scripture

And all his sons and all his daughters rose up to comfort him; but he refused to be comforted; and he said, For I will go down into the grave unto my son mourning. Thus his father wept for him. Gen.37:35

Does Jacob's response indicate that he believes Joseph is conscious and well in a happy part of Sheol?

Let's see how this verse is translated to see if this thought of yours is supported.

NKJV
    And all his sons and all his daughters arose to comfort him; but he refused to be comforted, and he said, “For I shall go down into the grave to my son in mourning.” Thus his father wept for him.
    NLT
    His family all tried to comfort him, but he refused to be comforted. “I will go to my grave mourning for my son,” he would say, and then he would weep.
    ASV
    And all his sons and all his daughters rose up to comfort him; but he refused to be comforted; and he said, For I will go down to Sheol to my son mourning. And his father wept for him.
    DBY
    And all his sons and all his daughters rose up to comfort him, but he refused to be comforted, and said, For I will go down to my son into Sheol mourning. Thus his father wept for him.
    HNV
    All his sons and all his daughters rose up to comfort him; but he refused to be comforted. He said, "For I will go down to She'ol to my son mourning." His father wept for him.
    RSV
    All his sons and all his daughters rose up to comfort him; but he refused to be comforted, and said, "No, I shall go down to Sheol to my son, mourning." Thus his father wept for him.
    VUL
    congregatis autem cunctis liberis eius ut lenirent dolorem patris noluit consolationem recipere et ait descendam ad filium meum lugens in infernum et illo perseverante in fletu
    WEB
    And all his sons and all his daughters rose up to comfort him; but he refused to be comforted; and he said, For I will go down into the grave to my son mourning: Thus his father wept for him.
    YLT
    and all his sons and all his daughters rise to comfort him, and he refuseth to comfort himself, and saith, 'For -- I go down mourning unto my son, to Sheol,' and his father weepeth for him.
    NIV
    All his sons and daughters came to comfort him, but he refused to be comforted. “No,” he said, “I will continue to mourn until I join my son in the grave.” So his father wept for him.
    ESV
    All his sons and all his daughters rose up to comfort him, but he refused to be comforted and said, “No, I shall go down to Sheol to my son, mourning.” Thus his father wept for him.
    RVR60
    Y se levantaron todos sus hijos y todas sus hijas para consolarlo; mas él no quiso recibir consuelo, y dijo: Descenderé enlutado a mi hijo hasta el Seol. Y lo lloró su padre.
    CSB
    All his sons and daughters tried to comfort him, but he refused to be comforted. “No,” he said. “I will go down to Sheol to my son, mourning.” And his father wept for him.
    NET
    All his sons and daughters stood by him to console him, but he refused to be consoled. "No," he said, "I will go to the grave mourning my son." So Joseph's father wept for him.
    WLC
    וַיָּקֻמוּ֩ כָל־בָּנָ֨יו וְכָל־בְּנֹתָ֜יו לְנַחֲמֹ֗ו וַיְמָאֵן֙ לְהִתְנַחֵ֔ם וַיֹּ֕אמֶר כִּֽי־אֵרֵ֧ד אֶל־בְּנִ֛י אָבֵ֖ל שְׁאֹ֑לָה וַיֵּ֥בְךְּ אֹתֹ֖ו אָבִֽיו׃
    LXX
    συνήχθησαν δὲ πάντες οἱ υἱοὶ αὐτοῦ καὶ αἱ θυγατέρες καὶ ἦλθον παρακαλέσαι αὐτόν καὶ οὐκ ἤθελεν παρακαλεῖσθαι λέγων ὅτι καταβήσομαι πρὸς τὸν υἱόν μου πενθῶν εἰς ᾅδου καὶ ἔκλαυσεν αὐτὸν ὁ πατὴρ αὐτοῦ
    BBE
    And all his sons and all his daughters came to give him comfort, but he would not be comforted, saying with weeping, I will go down to the underworld to my son. So great was his father's sorrow for him.

NKJV
    And all his sons and all his daughters arose to comfort him; but he refused to be comforted, and he said, “For I shall go down into the grave to my son in mourning.” Thus his father wept for him.
    NLT
    His family all tried to comfort him, but he refused to be comforted. “I will go to my grave mourning for my son,” he would say, and then he would weep.
    ASV
    And all his sons and all his daughters rose up to comfort him; but he refused to be comforted; and he said, For I will go down to Sheol to my son mourning. And his father wept for him.
    DBY
    And all his sons and all his daughters rose up to comfort him, but he refused to be comforted, and said, For I will go down to my son into Sheol mourning. Thus his father wept for him.
    HNV
    All his sons and all his daughters rose up to comfort him; but he refused to be comforted. He said, "For I will go down to She'ol to my son mourning." His father wept for him.
    RSV
    All his sons and all his daughters rose up to comfort him; but he refused to be comforted, and said, "No, I shall go down to Sheol to my son, mourning." Thus his father wept for him.
    VUL
    congregatis autem cunctis liberis eius ut lenirent dolorem patris noluit consolationem recipere et ait descendam ad filium meum lugens in infernum et illo perseverante in fletu
    WEB
    And all his sons and all his daughters rose up to comfort him; but he refused to be comforted; and he said, For I will go down into the grave to my son mourning: Thus his father wept for him.
    YLT
    and all his sons and all his daughters rise to comfort him, and he refuseth to comfort himself, and saith, 'For -- I go down mourning unto my son, to Sheol,' and his father weepeth for him.
    NIV
    All his sons and daughters came to comfort him, but he refused to be comforted. “No,” he said, “I will continue to mourn until I join my son in the grave.” So his father wept for him.
    ESV
    All his sons and all his daughters rose up to comfort him, but he refused to be comforted and said, “No, I shall go down to Sheol to my son, mourning.” Thus his father wept for him.
    RVR60

CSB
    All his sons and daughters tried to comfort him, but he refused to be comforted. “No,” he said. “I will go down to Sheol to my son, mourning.” And his father wept for him.
    NET
    All his sons and daughters stood by him to console him, but he refused to be consoled. "No," he said, "I will go to the grave mourning my son." So Joseph's father wept for him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit