Why Do People Become JWs?

by minimus 44 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I was born in the religion but why on earth do people join this religion??

• Ray Frankz
    Ray Frankz

I was born in it too. I also don't understand how 'wordly' people go to a convention that depicts them as the trash of the creation and feel like wanting to stay there a little longer.

I also say it sometimes to friends of mine. They usually laugh but they don't answer it.

• minimus
    minimus

I tend to think that people who join have no friends or are misfits. Sucker comes to mind, too.

• minimus
    minimus

"Normal" people wouldn't be attracted to it.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

often wives join first...then drag hubby along.

usually some tragedy in life starts the ball rolling--and the watchtower promise of everlasting life..new world..resurrection ( or whatever else nonsense rubbish is in favour these days )..hooks them in.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Born in. I see the newbies just buy into the 'end of days/paradise' promise.

Also, in a time of personal distress, the attention and love bombing works.

For me, dealing with non-JWs is just too stressful due to their practices and beliefs. So, the community I'm used to keeps me here.

Regardless of their imperfections and a couple of flawed policies, overall they're a peaceful, lovely bunch.

And in the Spanish side, oh, we have so much fun!!!

DY

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Born in. Would have NEVER chosen this on my own.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I'm a born-in, third generation on both sides of my family.

I believe cold-call converts are in the minority nowadays. Non-JWs with JWs in their family background, or who were raised as such but never converted, seem susceptible. Above post mentioned being sucked in after being married to a JW or someone studying--that happens all too often to.

Apart from this, the cold-call converts, not born-in, no family--as someone mentioned, some change of life (sometimes tragic) leaves them open for a time in looking for answers and comfort. This is accompanied by love-bombing. As well as the convert does not INTEND to join anything...they are just having a "study" to learn more about the Bible with some nice people. And it is presented in a way that makes sense and seems consistent. JWs seem to have all the answers. Things progress slowly over months and years and by that time they are hooked.

• Tallon
    Tallon

My parents were contacted, studied with, and baptised into JW'ism.

Us kids had no say in the matter and therefore tagged along.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Lots of people out there have had bad lives with lots of trauma. The cult gives them a sense of certainty, a path to a good life if they just do x,y, and z. Others like to feel special, and having "The Truth" gives them that. They feel like they're in on some secret, knowing things the average person doesn't. Others are narcissists and the religion taps in to that because it's a very narcissistic religion. Still others hear about the end of the world and fear drives them.

Really, there are myriad reasons. It's all marketing and human behavior.

Me, I was just a kid. I know it's hard from a healthy place to understand why anyone would join, but the world has lots of unhealthy people in it. Some are bound to land in the cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit