Saying Goodbye and The Celestine Prophecy

by safe4kids 67 Replies latest watchtower medical

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Valis, dude.
    I've gotta follow up your comments, bacuse I know where you're coming from.
    A few years ago I was priviledged to visit Kenya, in Easy Africa.
    Seeing how people live, with little by way of belongings, often no shoes and little food, really makes you take a cold hard stare at yourself. The slums of Nairobi were something to behold.

We stayed in a "chalet" in Mombassa, for a week. RIght on the edge of the beach, invaded by monkeys stealing our food every morning (I think they may avoid the packets of Bombay Mix, next time!!! LOL), the place was a two room breeze block and thatched roof,affair, for four of us.

We had mosquito nets, fortunately, but the locals weren't necessarily as lucky. The shower was a piece of 7/8th" pipe and a tap - and we were again, the lucky ones.

Watching the sun rise over the Indian Ocean, every morning, was incredible, though.
    Everyone seemed content, even though they were eaking out a living from manufacturing things from driftwood, stones, and anything else they could scrounge up.

It's been an opinion of mine, for some time, that everyone from the Western world should have something like that brought into their experience for a wee while.
    It changes you perspective on the world, and enhances your appreciation of what we've got, in this priviledged culture (contradiction in terms, that word "culture", sometimes)

The biggest lesson, that I believe it taught me?
    Contentment with little, and appreciation of anything I might be lucky enough to have.
    Our lives are short enough, in this world (a man of 50, in that part of Africa, was considered ancient), without stressing over things beyond our control, and being unappreciative when we "have" something.

I treasure the little things, cameos of life, shared moments, lives touched, a smile, a blush, a sunset, the green of a blade of grass.
    Beauty is all around us, if we would but perceive it. It can enhance our lives.

Back to the thread - I think that books like this can help us reappraise certain things like that, and help stir up moments of appreciation.
    It's only a book, it's only fiction, it's only...

...it's only another example of something that may touch your life for the better, if you can be perceptive enough to take the good out of it that may enrich your experience.
    Though, of course, that's quite a subjective thing.

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

DANA:

I've been sort of applying them...mostly I'm just trying to remain aware and figure out how much of it I can accept, what makes sense to me, what works for me, etc. I don't take it seriously in the sense that I'm now a 'follower' LOL coz following is something I don't ever want to do again, but I take it seriously in that I think the insights offer a different perspective into human interaction, one that I find fascinating to explore.

Yes, this is how I feel about it. I'm spiritually seeking...like on some spiritual journey or quest (I guess that sounds cheesy). Although I've lost my faith in the bible, I haven't closed my mind completely to the possibility that there is a higher power, even though tangible evidence is lacking...I feel like I have had "spiritual encounters". No, I haven't seen ghosts or been abducted by aliens (LOL) but there have been times when I have just sensed a presence in my life. And that keeps me, IMO, open to the idea that there may be more out there than just what we can see. The book was so fascinating to me, in that I could relate to a lot of what he was saying. The energy exchanges made sense to me and could explain why, when in certain situations, I react the way I do (and vice versa). I've also realize the unconscious methods that those around me use to manipulate me. Even if it is a work of fiction, there are undoubtably some concepts there that can be applied and learned.

I thought it was funny that you mentioned being a "follower" . I kept thinking the whole time I was reading this book, that it had the potential of leading to some sort of movement..."the celestine movement"...lol. I'm not keen on being a follower ever again either. And I can say with the utmost certainty that I will never be a part of any organized movement, religion, society, etc...ever again. But I felt the book did offer some insightful advice on relationships and human interaction.

I feel sort of apprehensive about going on about the book. [insert Twilight zone music here] I know a lot of folks would find it strange...I know the descriptions of aura's he described freaked me out a bit. That's a little out there for me, but I could definitely see how his insights could help many people, especially when it comes to power struggles and, what you were talking about, codependency. I'm a very independent person, and actually have a tendency to push away (intimate relationships) those who attempt to bend me into submission. The insights dealing with power struggles and things of that nature have helped me the most. I'm married to a control freak (real personality didn't surface until after "I do"). At this point, it's just a matter of keeping my head above water, you know?

My friend (the friend I mentioned earlier) invited me to a Mary Kay party (ugh). I probably should've went anyway, although I really don't care too much for that kind of thing. Some of my really old friends (pre-marriage, pre-jw friends) would've been there...and right now, I need all the support I can get. I feel sort of bad about not going...so, I'll probably call her back next week and try to get together. My husband is really weird about me having any friends (except those he hand-selects), so it's hard to function like a normal person in that capacity. It's like I could go, but I have to deal with his reaction (withdrawn, ignoring me) to it for ever how long it takes for it to wear off. It's more trouble than it is worth to have friends because of having to deal with the way my hub acts about it. whoa...I'm getting too personal here right in the middle of a public forum....

Seriously, if you ever want to talk feel free to email me ([email protected])

Take care....

LITTLE TOE:

I haven't seen you around in a while. I hope life is treating you okay.

One question: Are you married? LOL...just kidding...but seriously, I always love your posts. They are so passionate and wise.

I have never been outside of my state (Georgia) and the surrounding states (NC, SC, Tenn, FL, AL). I know, it's sad (I feel a "poor me" drama coming on) but, fortunate for me, I live in the NE Ga mountains. And it is magnificiently beautiful here, especially this time of year. I envy you, that you have seen first hand the way others in other parts of our world have to live. I wish I could say, from experience, that I have seen that, but I haven't. I have heard and read about things such as you are talking about but never seen it with my own two eyes. I once had a friend who had traveled to Jamaica (I think it was Jamaica...I may be wrong) and had said that most of the houses had dirt floors, no running water, etc. He had mentioned having met a man who had no legs, who would carried himself by walking on his hands. He said this was one of the happiest people he had ever met and that everyone he met there seemed happy and content....and never had he heard the statement "No problem" so much in his life. We do take so much for granted. I do feel that I am very appreciative of everything. Although, I do catch myself complaining (a lot).

Contentment with little, and appreciation of anything I might be lucky enough to have.
    Our lives are short enough, in this world (a man of 50, in that part of Africa, was considered ancient), without stressing over things beyond our control, and being unappreciative when we "have" something.

I treasure the little things, cameos of life, shared moments, lives touched, a smile, a blush, a sunset, the green of a blade of grass.

Wow! If we could all learn that and really comprehend what it means to have something. Putting in perspective the things that are really important and really makes life worth living, is sometimes the hardest thing to do. I have a hard time with "stressing over things that are beyond my control". But perhaps one day, I'll nip that in the bud. Allowing yourself to absorb the beauty around you and appreciate the little things; things as simple as the air you are breathing...these are things that make life more complete.

I think that books like this can help us reappraise certain things like that, and help stir up moments of appreciation.

...it's only another example of something that may touch your life for the better, if you can be perceptive enough to take the good out of it that may enrich your experience.

Couldn't have said it better myself....

Take care!!!

Sadie

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

oh expat:

p.s. I have it on excellent authority (a Gallup poll of the fairies at the bottom of my garden) that invisible unicorns are definitely pink.

Never trust a fairy. Everyone knows that fairies are liars...

Sadie

• safe4kids
    safe4kids
    Expatbrit, bringing this to the top so that Dana can't wriggle out of a book summary.

Hey Expat,

Wriggling, hey? Hmmm...not a very flattering mental pic, thank you VERY much. But then, this is from a guy who talks to fairies in his garden If you must know, I've had company all weekend, wonderful company, the most fantastic company ever, the most beautiful, sweet, kind, funny person (help! I'm being held hostage and forced to write this tripe! ). Honestly, I've not had the chance to type anything of substance up for ya, but I haven't forgotten about it. I don't think the book will appeal to you and I'll tell ya why when I do the summary, k?? Now, an assignment for YOU, my dear Exsplat, how 'bout a concise, understandable explanation of a materialist?? I'm thinking that is someone who only believes in what is scientifically measurable and tangible, like matter...am I close? And if so, do I win a ride on the pink unicorn????? Heheheh

Dana (hoping she can get Ven to sleep in tomorrow and allow me time to actually finish a post and/or email)

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Hello Safe,

I am not going to comment seriously right now on this thread. It is a good one and my disfunctional finger is behaving like Doctor Strangelove's arm. I am elated as well as offended by comments I have read here. Funny thing is both emotions come from people I highly respect.

Time to take a stiff drink and not post. I will try to put my feelings into words later. Just wanted to say this is a good thread. Looking forward to discussing further, Dana.

Steve

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

---This is a re-post. I was replying to the last posts that you guys made, but this response somehow made it's way back up to being right in the middle of posts made several days ago. I don't know how I managed to do that...still trying to get used to this the new forum format (unsuccessfully). Anyhow, sorry to sound like a broken record, but I brought this down here in case you guys didn't think to re-read the entire thread in search of stray responses (lol)....

DANA:

I've been sort of applying them...mostly I'm just trying to remain aware and figure out how much of it I can accept, what makes sense to me, what works for me, etc. I don't take it seriously in the sense that I'm now a 'follower' LOL coz following is something I don't ever want to do again, but I take it seriously in that I think the insights offer a different perspective into human interaction, one that I find fascinating to explore.

Yes, this is how I feel about it. I'm spiritually seeking...like on some spiritual journey or quest (I guess that sounds cheesy). Although I've lost my faith in the bible, I haven't closed my mind completely to the possibility that there is a higher power, even though tangible evidence is lacking...I feel like I have had "spiritual encounters". No, I haven't seen ghosts or been abducted by aliens (LOL) but there have been times when I have just sensed a presence in my life. And that keeps me, IMO, open to the idea that there may be more out there than just what we can see. The book was so fascinating to me, in that I could relate to a lot of what he was saying. The energy exchanges made sense to me and could explain why, when in certain situations, I react the way I do (and vice versa). I've also realize the unconscious methods that those around me use to manipulate me. Even if it is a work of fiction, there are undoubtably some concepts there that can be applied and learned.

I thought it was funny that you mentioned being a "follower" . I kept thinking the whole time I was reading this book, that it had the potential of leading to some sort of movement..."the celestine movement"...lol. I'm not keen on being a follower ever again either. And I can say with the utmost certainty that I will never be a part of any organized movement, religion, society, etc...ever again. But I felt the book did offer some insightful advice on relationships and human interaction.

I feel sort of apprehensive about going on about the book. [insert Twilight zone music here] I know a lot of folks would find it strange...I know the descriptions of aura's he described freaked me out a bit. That's a little out there for me, but I could definitely see how his insights could help many people, especially when it comes to power struggles and, what you were talking about, codependency. I'm a very independent person, and actually have a tendency to push away (intimate relationships) those who attempt to bend me into submission. The insights dealing with power struggles and things of that nature have helped me the most. I'm married to a control freak (real personality didn't surface until after "I do"). At this point, it's just a matter of keeping my head above water, you know?

My friend (the friend I mentioned earlier) invited me to a Mary Kay party (ugh). I probably should've went anyway, although I really don't care too much for that kind of thing. Some of my really old friends (pre-marriage, pre-jw friends) would've been there...and right now, I need all the support I can get. I feel sort of bad about not going...so, I'll probably call her back next week and try to get together. My husband is really weird about me having any friends (except those he hand-selects), so it's hard to function like a normal person in that capacity. It's like I could go, but I have to deal with his reaction (withdrawn, ignoring me) to it for ever how long it takes for it to wear off. It's more trouble than it is worth to have friends because of having to deal with the way my hub acts about it. whoa...I'm getting too personal here right in the middle of a public forum....

Seriously, if you ever want to talk feel free to email me ([email protected])

You and your friend have a good time....take care....

LITTLE TOE:

I haven't seen you around in a while. I hope life is treating you okay.

One question: Are you married? LOL...just kidding...but seriously, I always love your posts. They are so passionate and wise.

I have never been outside of my state (Georgia) and the surrounding states (NC, SC, Tenn, FL, AL). I know, it's sad (I feel a "poor me" drama coming on) but, fortunate for me, I live in the NE Ga mountains. And it is magnificiently beautiful here, especially this time of year. I envy you, that you have seen first hand the way others in other parts of our world have to live. I wish I could say, from experience, that I have seen that, but I haven't. I have heard and read about things such as you are talking about but never seen it with my own two eyes. I once had a friend who had traveled to Jamaica (I think it was Jamaica...I may be wrong) and had said that most of the houses had dirt floors, no running water, etc. He had mentioned having met a man who had no legs, who would carried himself by walking on his hands. He said this was one of the happiest people he had ever met and that everyone he met there seemed happy and content....and never had he heard the statement "No problem" so much in his life. We do take so much for granted. I do feel that I am very appreciative of everything. Although, I do catch myself complaining (a lot).

Wow! If we could all learn that and really comprehend what it means to have something. Putting in perspective the things that are really important and really makes life worth living, is sometimes the hardest thing to do. I have a hard time with "stressing over things that are beyond my control". But perhaps one day, I'll nip that in the bud. Allowing yourself to absorb the beauty around you and appreciate the little things; things as simple as the air you are breathing...these are things that make life more complete.

I think that books like this can help us reappraise certain things like that, and help stir up moments of appreciation.

Couldn't have said it better myself....

Take care!!!

Sadie

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Ok, my apologies to Expat, et al, for being so tardy in responding. I will claim only that I have a life! hahaha ok, ok, I have homework

Right, then...here we go:

No more stalling, I promise.

Btw Expat, I felt so sorry for you when I read that your weather is so nasty...it's been in the high 70's and 80's here, beautiful blue skies, sunny and a little nice breeze occasionally (not to make you feel worse or anything ).

Heheheh, alright already, ~sigh~

Basically, it's a self-help book that touches on the mystical/spiritual, and is couched in very simple, basic prose, which was a bit off-putting at first. The plot is about a guy (I think he's a social worker) who goes on a search for an ancient manuscript and discovers 9 insights that lead him to a spiritual awareness and enlightenment. That's the Cliff notes version, k? LOL If you would like a run-down on the actual insights, let me know and I'll compile them for you when I get time.

That said, I've read some of the criticisms of the book and agree with portions of them and yes, I thought some of the book was kinda 'out there', at least according to my current belief system. However, it is a work of fiction and also, I strongly believe in 'take what you can use, and leave the rest' so I try not to automatically discount something and close my mind to it without a pretty good reason for doing so. What I primarily gained from the book was a heightened awareness of the interconnectedness of humans with each other and the universe (nature).

Most of the insights were not really new, I'd heard them before; however, I'd not integrated them. Other main ideas that I took away with me were: paying attention to seeming coincidences, recognizing patterns of behavior that aren't working for me (codependency), and working towards becoming complete in myself (self-actualization), to name a few.

It's like many self help books in that you can get something out of it if you suspend a certain amount of skepticism and if you value emotions, self-awareness, and subjective experiences. However, if these areas are too intangible and/or are not a part of a person's value/belief system, then they would probably be wasting time and energy reading this book. And that is not meant as a slam against anyone who doesn't share those exact same values; I don't expect everyone to think like I do or value the same things that I do.

I will say that I thought Little Toe summed it up very well when he said:

Though, of course, that's quite a subjective thing

It is subjective, because it speaks to each person's personal set of values which is why I don't advocate it for everyone, nor was I offended at all by the criticisms. I think that all of us here learned a hard but valuable lesson regarding accepting ANYTHING at face value, so....if it's up your alley, great; if it's not, that's okay too! LOL

((((((((Jst2))))))) ahhh yer a sweetie I'm feeling more and more often like I'm slowly replacing the family I lost and you and Joy are at the top of my list of preferred family members I'm really looking forward to seeing you guys again, and discussing the book. Two weeks! yay!

Sadie,

Thanks for sharing what you did; I don't have time to respond right now as we're late for my daughter's softball game...I'll try to do so later this evening.

Dana

• alias
    alias

Dana,

I read the Celestine Prophecy a few years ago and the couple of books that followed.

I agree with your thoughts very much.

Sometimes we come across things that change our perspective on the bigger picture and make it easier for us... even if just for a little while.

Alia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit