Was looking at my childhood book "From Paradise Lost to Paradise Regained" I found something interesting.

by Still Totally ADD 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

I just remembered I received this book at the 1958 convention in NY. I was 4 years old at the time. The only thing I do remember was the ride I had on a camel at the Bronx zoo. Oh boy the good old days. Also my older brother got a radio shape like a rocket. Still Totally ADD

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    StillTotallyADD: I just remembered I received this book at the 1958 convention in NY.

The release of the book was mentioned in the 1959 Yearbook:

Thursday afternoon, July 31, was paradisaic in both
    its assembly and in what it produced. The surroundings
    of the speakers' platforms of both stadiums were paradisaic
    in their physical beauty. The audience of 145,488
    all roundabout were enjoying a feast of Christian association
    and Kingdom truths in a spiritual paradise.
    Their appreciation of this fact was sharpened by the
    speech of the Society's president entitled "Maintaining
    Our Spiritual Paradise." He crowned the occasion by his
    entirely unexpected display and release of the glowingly
    beautiful, handsomely illustrated book of 256 pages,
    bearing the title "From Paradise Lost to Paradise Regained."
    This book wastes no time and space discussing
    false doctrines of worldly religions, but simply explains
    the God-honoring truths of the sacred Bible as these
    came to the surface in the outworking of God's purpose
    to restore obedient humankind to an everlasting earthly
    paradise. But this restoration has to be preceded by the
    establishing of God's heavenly kingdom and his restoring
    first a spiritual paradise for his faithful Christian
    witnesses. It was this spiritual paradise that had to be
    maintained now with faithfulness and fruitfulness by
    its blest, happy inhabitants.
    The book on Paradise had been published, not with
    children in mind, but for the purpose of satisfying the
    need and craving of adult persons in many lands who
    needed a primary or elementary manner of approach
    to the pure truths of God's Word. After the session there
    was many an assembler that took copies of the book
    in large quantity. Delight went permeating the mighty
    hosts assembled.

The Paradise book was never intended to target children - it was the illustrations and simplified language that made it an ideal book for conducting family book studies. In the congregations of the late 50s and early 60s, an influx of children occurred. The boom in children happened after Knorr et al relaxed the pre-war instructions on remaining single and childless.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

OrphanCrow you may be right but I do not remember a 1959 convention just 1958 one. My book does have a 1958 copyright in it. Also I was always told this book was for us kids back then. Again that may of been something my parents told me. All I know it was a scary book for young minds. Still Totally ADD

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Your memory is correct, STADD. Never fear...your grey cells are working.

The 1959 Yearbook is describing the '58 summer convention.

*edit to add - and besides, you could be right about the book being meant for kids. Our family used it as such. But my parents were quick to assure us that the WTS did not print kid's books like those other religions did. Eh...just because the WT says something, doesn't mean it is true. They have a reputation for declaring one thing while meaning something else entirely. The book could very well have been meant for all those children popping out post war. The WTS often speaks out of the side of its mouth

• pleaseresearch
    pleaseresearch

Why on page 21 are the two squirrels looking at the mans penis? One seems to be laughing at it.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    pleaseresearch: Why on page 21 are the two squirrels looking at the mans penis? One seems to be laughing at it.

Haha! I am sure there are lots of answers for that and they all have "nuts" someplace in the punch line.

And what about that Roman soldier rolling dice in front of pretty Jesus nailed to the stake? Check out the hemline of the Roman dude's skirt - sticking out and pointing towards his knee...once you see it you will always see it

• Dunedain
    Dunedain

Lol, look at page 46. The illustration of Nimrod, I believe, looks something like Lord of the rings, meets Norse Mythology, meets Game of Thrones, meets old testament Hebrew mythology.

Is that Merlin the wizard, Gandalf the Grey, or Saruman the white wizard, sitting next to "horny" Nimrod?

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Dunedain I have often thought that was merlin also. Why is he so sad looking? By the way those was perfect nuts the squirrels was looking at. Thanks for letting me laugh a little bit about this book. I am so glad some of my grey cells are working. LOL Still Totally ADD

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Greenhornet--that picture brings back memories for me. My grandma used to have that book at her house and I used to stare in panic at that picture.--Sometimes I marvel at all of us and how well we turned out considering what mental abuse we went through.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Hey Smiddy, in case you think I am imagining things, namely 2 of them, please observe. I rest my case. I wasn't approving of the depiction of JW madness. I was just surprised that my long held perception of the artwork was so faulty. Clearly that is not a "little girl" and her doll.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit