Should I continue to help an "unbelieving" husband?

by RiverPeace 11 Replies latest jw friends

• RiverPeace
    RiverPeace

Hello Everyone!

I know there are a lot of 'wise heads' out there on this forum - so I would appreciate your suggestions.

Several years ago, I studied with a guy, whose wife is a JW. (He had studied with several elders before I came along). The study went reasonably well. He came to some meetings, but never got baptised. Eventually, I moved out of the area. Fast forward 3 years. I no longer associate with Watchtower. Faded. But I am now back in touch with this guy.

Rightly or wrongly, I would like to protect him from becoming indoctrinated into Watchtower. We have had regular phone and email discussions. He recognises that there are many questionable doctrines and policies about WT. I sent him some info from jw.facts. He says he is happy to discuss the Bible, but rather forcefully, told me not to send anymore anti-JW stuff. I personally feel he is (understandably) torn between his wife and what he knows to be the real truth about WT.

My question is: Where do I go from here? Tactfully compare WT false doctrine - using only the Bible? Or call it a day?

Thanks for listening. Any help would be much appreciated.

• Ding
    Ding

This might depend on how confident you are that you can show him contradictions between WT teachings and the Bible.

Be especially careful not to get sucked into the WT yourself.

If you decide to give it a go, remember that questions work better than statements.

Don't try to prove anything to him; let him prove to you that the WT is right. After all, he thinks they have the truth and it's his job to teach you.

If you want to take a biblical approach, you might look for resources to help you.

I'd recommend Rhodes' book, Reasoning from the Scriptures with the Jehovah's Witnesses or Englund's book, Getting Through to Jehovah's Witnesses.

Both are available on Amazon.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

It's not that hard to debunk watchtower doctrines using only the bible. For instance. What is the good news that jw''s preach? Jesus preached about the kingdom of the heavens. The apostles preached about the good news of the Christ. Or the ministry if reconciliation of mankind through the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. Not one word of God's purpose of a paradise earth.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Tactfully compare WT false doctrine - using only the Bible?

Yes if he receives that information willingly and honestly, there is no better way to convince a person that the WTS's doctrines are false by using the bible.

The Achilles heel of the JWS is the bible and the truth mixed with some intellectual honesty..

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

An effective approach might be "what would it take to convince you that the JWs are wrong?" And don't let him wriggle out of it, get him to commit to some answer.

Virtually anything he might say, it should be fairly easy to come up with examples.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

I personally feel he is (understandably) torn between his wife and what he knows to be the real truth about WT.

Me personally, getting in the middle of a husband and his wife over religious belief is disaster waiting to happen. You sent him information from jwfacts and that's plenty of direction for a big boy to start researching on his own.

Plus he already told you;

but rather forcefully, told me not to send anymore anti-JW stuff.

Let him discuss the bible with his wife and deal with it that way. He's not a little kid that needs someone to hold is hand.

I would just call it a day and avoid situations that might cause you unnecessary Drama.

• Overrated
    Overrated

Patients and asking thinking questions will get the ball rolling on what is for real and what is made up. I did this on my own, questions and questions and it became clear what was all made up. I decided I have no longer any ground to believe in this group.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I mean the thing is, if you can demonstrate the Bible is cobblers he won't become a witness anyway.

You could try showing him contradictions and go through Numbers and Judges, or some of the other murderous and ridiculous passenges?

Use socratic questioning, too.

• waton
    waton

he does not need more munitions if he is not in a fight. His wife might have ways to intercept your messages. She just might want to keep her husband . He might just want peace,

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    rather forcefully, told me not to send anymore anti-JW stuff.

I would stay away from it. He knows you left it. If he wants to know more, he will ask.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit