JWs don’t use the apocryphal, yet source them

by Anony Mous 47 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

So a quick little note about a few things that I recently learned. If you ever had the yellow book of Bible stories, there was the story of Enoch, also repeated in other Watchtower publications, about the angels fathering giants and being a menace on earth. Now if you look at the Nicean Bible, which is the WTBTS selection of the Bible, it mentions Enoch twice and only has a very brief passage about Nephilim and Ben Elohim. But it doesn’t speak of giants and the like or Enoch and what he did, it seems to be conjured up by the WTBTS. However, the book of Enoch does go into details on Enoch’s life, the giants etc, how he preached about the apocalypse.

Likewise the story told to JW children about Cain and Abel, read the Genesis chapter, then read or remember the story in the WT literature, especially the pictures, now there are a lot of details that aren’t in the Nicean Bible, that match the Book of Jasher, the Bible says he simply killed him without details, the Book of Jasher details an iron ploughing instrument, the fact he didn’t bury him but left him bleeding in the field etc, the WTBTS depicts Cain having killed Abel with an instrument matching that description, Abel bleeding and Cain walking away from an unburied body.

There are a lot of other things, minor details perhaps that if you read for example Book of Jubilees, Book of Enoch etc and put them in context with what’s in the JW interpretation of the Bible and additional background to the stories which suddenly start making sense. Where does the WTBTS get its explanation of year-weeks and numerology surrounding the numbers 6 and 7 - read the books surrounding Kabbalah, Jubilees and others and it starts making more and more sense, patterns you see there are reused by WTBTS although some of these practices the WTBTS itself has condemned as demonic influences.

It’s an interesting avenue of investigation I haven’t heard much about in contemporary JW investigation. I think the mid-60s-through-90s Governing Body were very much aware of the apocryphal books and must have done significant investigation into it for it to come through in what we consider the JW canon. Question is why they rejected them, especially since the Dead Sea Scrolls indicates those books were very much in circulation amongst Christians ca 100BC and have to date existed amongst Ethiopian Churches (one of the earliest churches still in existence)

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Wow very interesting! I do remember on one occasion thinking the watchtower referred to an apocryphal source - I think it was Enoch because of course the Bible itself mentions the book of Enoch. I remember being surprised but you're right it hasn't really become a talking point. Good find.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

The book of Jasher is referenced in the bible. Enoch is quoted once; and Jubilees was referenced by the early church leaders a lot.. These are best understood as history books, (recommended reading) just as we have history books today. They never claimed to be inspired or infallible, nor were held up as such.

The Go-To resource in my opinion in all things dead sea scrolls related, is Dr. Ken Johnson. He has a website and YouTube channel. He writes "readable" books on many dead sea scrolls (books) sorta like cliff notes that are easy to digest by the common person. I have been listening to his YouTube channel for years.

I believe his work is some of the most interesting stuff going on in the Christian community right now. Many other Prophecy Watchers agree.

He pieced together from dead sea scrolls the original calendar the Jews were using prior to Babylonian captivity, and has a digital version on his website. It was a 364 day calendar which is divisible by 7 and 52 allowing for every festival to consistently fall on the same day of the week. They had a leap week every few years to compensate for the 1.25 days short each year.

The calendar issue was one of the main issues to split the Essenes and Pharisees. The Jews were forced to use the moon based system of the Babylonians when they were conquered by them. and taken as slaves back to Babylon. After being freed, they were supposed to go back to the original 364 day solar calendar that was in use since the time of Adam. But, they didn't which caused a division.

Most people are unaware that there are hundreds of dead sea scrolls, many of which are just now becoming available. " I found "Gad the Seer" to be fascinating. Most people are bored to death by this kind of thing but I find the whole topic to be utterly fascinating.

Now that we have found fragments of "Testimony of the Twelve Patriarchs" in pre-Christian era dead sea scrolls, we can disregard the critics that claimed this was a medieval work to bolster Christianity. They claimed that because the theology in the book is virtually a carbon copy of New Testament theology. (Too good to be true)

Dr. Johnson's work shows that this theology ("Testimony of the Twelve Patriarchs") was followed by the Essenes to interpret scripture, while the Pharisees used their oral tradition from all their "elder meetings" to interpret scripture.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

The wt definitely uses other books. Take the pictures of Paul with a bald head and bushy eyebrows. That's taken from the acts of Paul and thecla

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Sea Breeze:

The book of Jasher is referenced in the bible

The Bible does refer to a 'Book of Jasher/Jashar'. However, the actual content of the book is unknown.

There was a spurious 16th century version and another 18th century forgery that purport to be translations of the lost book. They quote from various biblical books to try to sound authentic.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

I know most Protestants view the Apocryphal books as historical but not "inspired" (e.g., Maccabees). As far as I know the Witnesses fall in that camp.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

@ Jeffro..... good point.

Apparently, there are gnostic versions of a lot of these works by the same names floating around. They are reportedly easy to spot once you know what to look for.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The book “Equipped for Every Good Work” (1946) had two chapters on dating and contents of the Apocrypha.

There was a good YouTube channel that pointed out support for JW Christology from apocryphal writings but I can’t find it right now. I hope it’s not gone.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Found it, it’s called “Hanging on his words”!

This is one of his videos where he uses the Apocrypha to argue for angel Christology. I find his videos really interesting.

https://youtu.be/HrO1sdJueJA

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Maccabees was one of several books Martin Luther wanted removed from the Bible. All the books that were removed, and those that were not, upset Luther. These books had content that went against his Five Solas.

I believe Maccabees contain a passage where Jews were praying for the dead. Luther did not like this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit