JWs don’t use the apocryphal, yet source them

by Anony Mous 47 Replies latest watchtower bible

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known
    Thats an extremely shaky foundation that 30% of the world have put their faith in.

Consider the fact that the entire "Western World" only has 2 degrees of separation at most from the Roman Empire (either directly a part of the empire or a colony of a nation formerly part of the empire). The same Roman Empire that adopted Christianity as the official state religion. It was a convert of die world.

How many cultures' natural course of evolution was interrupted or destroyed because of Rome?

"May he spend one night in Valhalla before the Christ god takes him away." - Old Norse saying to the dead

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

joey jojo

Until this thread, I hadnt realised - or taken notice of, how many books of the NT were written by Paul, who never met Jesus.

Joey Jojo, here is one of my posts on the subject of Paul and the books he wrote regarding: HIS GOSPLE----NOT THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/6221415232569344/my-gospel

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@pistol: hence why I started this thread. I noticed the same several years before I even let JW and I’ve always been interested in the apocrypha. They are basically books written by contemporaries of Paul that were left out because the Catholic faith needed a single direction. But you still have Ethiopian and other Orthodox churches that do not accept the Catholic (council of Nicea) version of the Bible and include or exclude certain books from their canon. There had been an attempt in some Protestant circles to basically rewrite parts of the canon (hence why older NWTs have a few sections that are excluded from the KJV), but nobody never went as far as creating a full Bible with commentaries and “apocryphal” stories the way the Jews have the Talmud for example. Until ~1950 there also never was any real attempt by modern scholars to unite the views either theologically or archaeologically and come up with a more accurate story of the potential historical events and even the ones that are don’t see much mainstream attention.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete
    There had been an attempt in some Protestant circles to basically rewrite parts of the canon

Wow, first time I've heard this.

• Anony Mous
  • truth_b_known
    truth_b_known
    A Protestant Bible is a Christian Bible whose translation or revision was produced by Protestants. Such Bibles comprise 39 books of the Old Testament (according to the Hebrew Bible canon, known especially to non-Protestants as the protocanonical books) and 27 books of the New Testament for a total of 66 books.[1] Some Protestants use Bibles which also include 14 additional books in a section known as the Apocrypha (though these are not considered canonical) bringing the total to 80 books.[2][3] This is often contrasted with the 73 books of the Catholic Bible, which includes seven deuterocanonical books as a part of the Old Testament.[4] The division between protocanonical and deuterocanonical books is not accepted by all Protestants who simply view books as being canonical or not and therefore classify books found in the deuterocanon, along with other books, as part of the Apocrypha.[5]
    The contents page in the King James Bible, 1769 edition, listing "The Books of the Old Testament", "The Books called Apocrypha", and "The Books of the New Testament".
    It was in Luther's Bible of 1534 that the Apocrypha was first published as a separate intertestamental section.[6] To this date, the Apocrypha is "included in the lectionaries of Anglican and Lutheran Churches."[7] The practice of including only the Old and New Testament books within printed bibles was standardized among many English-speaking Protestants following a 1825 decision by the British and Foreign Bible Society.[8] Today, "English Bibles with the Apocrypha are becoming more popular again" and they may be printed as intertestamental books.[9] In contrast, Evangelicals vary among themselves in their attitude to and interest in the Apocrypha but agree in the view that it is non-canonical.[10]

I have often posted on this website that Martin Luther single-handedly brought the downfall of the Christian faith.

"18.This is my solemn attestation to all who hear the prophecies in this book: if anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him every plague mentioned in the book; 19.if anyone cuts anything out of the prophecies in this book, God will cut off his share of the tree of life and of the holy city, which are described in the book." - Rvelation 22:18-19
  • TD
  • Earnest
    Earnest

The Oxford Handbook of the Apocrypha was published in May 2021. The Enoch Seminar will present a virtual review of the book together with the authors on 17th March, and will be discussing the current state of affairs of apocrypha research. The event is free and you can register for it here if interested.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit