Saudi Man Sentenced To Death For Atheism

by Bangalore 26 Replies latest social current

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5
    I've known good people who happened to be pedos through no fault of their own; being attracted to children doesn't automatically make someone an evil mass murderer.

Being a pedo doesn't make someone a murderer. It does make them sick, twisted and deplorable in the eyes of almost everyone, obviously.

• Bangalore
  • Chook
    Chook

Ancient Israel practiced similar verdicts. Imagine if GB ruled world , death would apply to not believing overlapping bullshit.

• Bangalore
  • Bangalore
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@JWdaugher - interesting post.

[Qatar] is very conservative, but in a progressive way ... They have free education and encourage their children, male and female to go to universities at home and abroad - this is good. Education is very important, for males and females.

I do not agree with the sentence and I don't find it in keeping with my belief system or that of most people I know, there or here [emphasis mine] - this is encouraging. If there is to be progress in Saudi at some future point in time, then this is a good place to start (although see Bangalore's posts, above, for examples of Saudi citizens with barbaric, retarded views).

It is not the natural state of Islam. Qatar might be - I can't quite work out if you think the Saudi regime is un-Islamic and therefore apostate, or you think we should brush the nasty side of Islam (Saudi regime) under the carpet and focus on the softer side (Qatar) instead.

• David_Jay
    David_Jay

Chook,

Ancient Jews were not the enlightened community Jehovah's Witnesses (and even some other Fundamentalist Christian groups) claim we were. The Torah as spelled out in Scripture is more of an attempt at creating a just society but greatly hampered by ancient prejudices and limitations more than it being a law dictated directly from Heaven as the Witnesses teach.

The asinine idea that ancient religious laws are perfect representations of the mindset of God is quite well demonstrated in the award-winning novel, "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood. The story plays out over a dystopian paradigm created when a Fundamentalist Christian Government overtakes the United States and imposes a "theocratic rule" which mimics the type of religious world experienced by Mormons, the Amish, and often reflects the type of governing body rule experienced by Jehovah's Witnesses (though militarized).

Like these groups, the dystopia of the novel alleges Christianity but imposes a literal Old Testament application of law that ends up oppressing society, especially women. Among those suppressed by such a government, ironically, are the Jews who are forced to submit to proselytizing or live in Israel (where they are promised they can practice Judaism out of sight of the world, but all actually killed by the dystopian government if they choose such a way out).

For those interested and have access to Hulu, "The Handmaid's Tale" has been adapted into a new television series to great critical acclaim. Masterfully produced and so welcomed by viewers that it was instantly granted a second season even though the first has just begun. The novel has been discussed here several times on this forum, and it is a must read for an ex or current JW or LDS or Fundie (and the new show on Hulu is definitely worth watching).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit