Were You Ever SHOCKED That Someone Got Appointed As An Elder?

by minimus 28 Replies latest jw friends

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Diogen's anecdote reminded me of a elder brother whose anxiety was so severe he couldn't talk socially to anybody, he would give parts and public talks but don't ever say hello to him.

Another ekder brother who had bipolar and he would be manic and paranoid one meeting and sat in the back room in the dark the next.

Now, I don't have a problem with people in postions of authority who also suffer with mental health issues that's not my point my point is these men sat in judgement of others made decisions that affected other peoples lives and their mental health conditions definitely affected how that judgement was made, depending on what mood they were in that day.

Interesting to note these men were appointed after their diagnosis. Real scratch the head moment at those announcements I can tell you.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    OntheWayOut do you mean 'mixed' religiously? When the Witnesses use that word that's usually what they mean, but I thought your wife was still in?

No, she is a JW. I mean the old C.O. literally thought white JW's marrying black JW's was "spiritually" bad. I told him I had prayerfully examined my situation and read mags about such.

He said I would not find such couples in Gilead, and rarely at Bethel. I found and showed him a recent Gilead class photo with a black/white couple.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

A brother was announced as an elder one Thursday, then announced as having been taken off the next. Seven days of power.

The HS must have been a bit confused that week. Perhaps the HS had gone for a dump like Baal according to Eli(jah) (sha) cant't ever remember which.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Nah!!!!!! Working in a "worldly" environment taught me all I ever needed to know about self-promoting "boot-lickers."

• tiki
    tiki

Yes and no....because nepotism tends to dominate. The real crazy ones were the moronic types who had no leadership skills or speaking skills or basic understanding of people and life.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

A young fellow aged 26-27 who lived at home with his parents was appointed as an elder, and when announced from the platform, you could literally hear people in the audience gasp and whisper.. that's no exaggeration. Most people thought he was mentally retarded, he just wasn't with it... serious Asperger at the very least.

His father, who he still lived at home with, was an elder in the congregation... that's spiritual qualification right there.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    OntheWayOut No, she is a JW. I mean the old C.O. literally thought white JW's marrying black JW's was "spiritually" bad.

Spiritually bad my @$$ - that man was a racist.

There's an ex-Walkill bethelite who has posted on you tube about the racism at Bethel/within the organisation.

I have to be fair and say in the UK if your man the CO said such a thing to you he'd have been disciplined....even back in the 80s and 70s. I'm sorry you guys had to go through that.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    OnTheWayOut11 hours ago11 hours ago
    OntheWayOut do you mean 'mixed' religiously? When the Witnesses use that word that's usually what they mean, but I thought your wife was still in?

No, she is a JW. I mean the old C.O. literally thought white JW's marrying black JW's was "spiritually" bad. I told him I had prayerfully examined my situation and read mags about such.

He said I would not find such couples in Gilead, and rarely at Bethel. I found and showed him a recent Gilead class photo with a black/white couple.

outrageous.

one of the GB has a very attractive wife--who happens to look a lot younger than him--and is "of colour "

• Tight Pants Twinkle Toes
    Tight Pants Twinkle Toes

yeah... I was in a congregation in Texas and they appointed a Brother that was a drunk and everyone in the congregation knew it! I went to this brothers house once and he was so drunk he could not stand up, when he was announced as an elder, a short time later the whole congregation gasped out loud, but you see he was a homey of the PO. I knew from that moment on that the Holy Spirit had NOTHING to do with appointments. The PO made the announcment then went on to remind the congregation that to question any decision of the body of elders was unfathfulness.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Another one to say ME!

Back in the 70s , I was in my 20s and one Thursday I was reaching down for my songbook at the meeting end and they announced that I had been appointed . Just that, no question of me, no hint that it was coming ...it was the biggest shock of my life. I felt totally out of my depth.... Wow!

Later when I had stopped serving I have seen one or two appointments of men I would never have agreed with . I guess that is life.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit